Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting really concerned<^

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the UK the rule is generally 6 weeks for left knee and 8 weeks for right knee when it comes to driving again. I was in car at exactly 8 weeks and have managed fine.
 
I don't know that there is a general rule in the UK. I think it would also depend on whether you drive an automatic car or a manual.

I've had 3 knee replacements and each time I have started driving a manual (stick shift) car at some time between 4 and 6 weeks.
With a manual car, both feet need to work accurately and in co-ordination. Your left foot works the clutch and your right foot works the brake and accelerator. When you do an emergency stop, both feet need to work firmly, and together.

Before I started driving again each time, I would sit in the car with the engine turned off and practice moving my feet from one pedal to another. When I was certain I could do that accurately and with enough speed and force, I drove slowly up and down our driveway, before going on the road.

You do need to be off all the heavy duty narcotics before starting to drive again.
 
Wow... I was driving at two weeks with my left knee! I guess I was fortunate!
 
In the UK you are also supposed to check with your insurance company before you get behind the wheel again, I'm not sure how many actually comply with that ( I didn't) and I suspect it's a ploy by the NHS to get themselves out of any liability if you caused an accident if your knee actually wasn't ok to begin driving again.
 
It's always a good idea to check with your insurance company. Some require a clearance from your surgeon before you drive again.
I suspect that, rather than being a policy of the NHS, it's a ploy of the insurance companies, to get out of paying if you have an accident. Without the clearance, they might claim you were not in a fit condition to drive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom