TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

I had better success with Tramadol than hydrocodone from Day 1. I guess it varies with every person. I only took a few of the hydrocodone in the first few days, and then stuck with tramadol and Tylenol from there on out. Others don't seem to have the same luck with Tramadol, but it's worth a shot. You may want to check with your doctor on that. The only thing is I think the Tramadol caused me to have terribly dry mouth so keep a glass of water at your bedside.
 
My wife told me tramodol is like a Tylenol 3 with coden.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic. It is not as regulated as actual narcotics and so can be more easily prescribed by either your surgeon or your GP. It is considered a step down from any of the opiates like percocet, hydrocodone, or vicodin. You could talk with your doctor about it now and have some on hand for when you feel you're ready to step down. It can cause physical dependency in some people like a narcotic, but if you find that happens you just taper off very gradually. When it works for a person, it can be a very good drug for pain management.

Also, since Tramadol does not contain any acetaminophen (Tylenol) like most of the narcotics, Tylenol can be added as well to combat the pain (1000mg doses of no more than 4000mg per 24 hours). The combination works quite nicely. I used it successfully for the last month of my pill-taking days with my last TKR.
 
Good to know, @Jamie . I'm thinking I may need to contact my OS this week. I don't go back for a follow-up until May 19 and I doubt I have enough percocet to get me that far even just taking one at a time.
 
Tramadol is called a "step down" drug---sometimes the OS will balk at refilling the Percoset more than once. It's brand name is Ultram and there is Ultracet which is Ultram with Tylenol. Tylenol is a "booster" drug and it does help boost the effects of Treamadol.
 
I'm considering looking into this. For the moment, Tylenol is doing the job, but I'm not doing out patient PT yet, which is a 40 minute drive one way from my house.

I'll start that this week. I think I'll see about getting a mid afternoon therapy time, then it will coordinate with my mid afternoon Tylenol dosage. I'll take the ice machine with me and be able to ice on the way home. And I'll take my husband for the first couple times until I know how I'll be affected. He can drive if necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I talked to my daughter who is an ob/gyn. While she doesn't do orthopedic surgeries, she does do gynecological surgeries and knows something about pain control too. She is also the one who referred me to the OS because she felt he was excellent and I have to agree with her! She was actually in his wedding and his wife was in her wedding so they have some pretty strong connections. She mentioned Tylenol 3 which she said was milder than Percocet but was going to talk to Dr. Wingerter herself and discuss options because we both agree that I'm still going to need something for awhile. So, I still have a few days left of percocet and I'll wait to see what I hear back from her.

On another note, my husband and I changed my waterproof dressing as directed by the orthopedic center before we left a week ago. I leave this one on until I go back and see the doctor on the 19th. I don't know what I was expecting but it looked good -- far better than anticipated!

All my company has gone home from my nephew's graduation this weekend. It was good to see them all but it's nice to have quiet too. My daughter called from Phoenix and we had a great conversation. I talked to my Mom and got to spend all day yesterday with my son and his family. So, today will be a day of resting for me.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's on this forum. Whether you're a mom or not, you've made this knee replacement journey a whole lot easier for me.

Roxie
 
The only problem with Tylenol 3 is that it has Codeine which is notorious for nausea in a lot of people. If you aren't having a lot of pain, the Tramadol might be a better option. I think that's why most of the OS prescribe it over Tylenol 3. I was an OB nurse for years and we gave Tylenol 3 to new moms because you knew their pain was going to be short-term. You are going to need something for several weeks because of PT.
 
I think your idea about talking to the surgeon via phone is best. You'll probably deal with his nurse, but heck they know this stuff forwards and backwards. I think you'll find them very understanding of your need for something. I don't know if Dickson-Diveley has a "clinic protocol" for pain meds or not, but my surgeon from there wanted me on Tramadol, so you may be asked to at least give it a try.
 
Tramadol with celebrex and tylenol on time all the time for 5 maybe 6 weeks kept my recovery much more pleasant than i had feared ! Never reached a pain beyond level 4. But than again my tolerance may have been off the chart due to years of bone on bone pain . Best wishes
 
Hope you had a nice day of rest. So glad to here you are doing so well.
 
Well, I spoke with my OS and let him know I am down to about 9 percocet left. I told him I feel like I still definitely need something and he agreed and I was surprised that he still wants me to stay on percocet for the time being since I am only taking one every 4 hours. However, dumb me did not realize I had to have a written prescription for Percocet and they could not just call or fax it in. And, since I am about a 3-hour drive away from the OS's office, that is a problem. They are dropping the prescription in the mail today and, if I'm lucky, I could have it by tomorrow but more likely, I'll get it on Thursday which means I'll run completely out. They said to contact my family doctor's office and see if she'll prescribe a small amount to get me by until the OS prescription gets here. They said they would call her if need be. So, I have a call into her office and hope I'll hear back sometime today. Geez, I kind of feel like a junkie trying to get my hands on my next "fix." I have PT later today so will be anxious to see how I'm doing. I've been faithfully doing my exercises but certainly not overdoing and interspersing it with lots of rest, icing and elevation. My IT band is bothering a bit on that leg due, I think, to the fact that I haven't been as active as I usually am. I'll ask the PT today how I can stretch that as well.

Hopefully, the next time you hear from me, I will have figured out the pain medication issue and have more percocet in my hot little hands.

Roxie
 
Well while it last take it. Generally I started limiting my Percocet to bed time when I had them. Now it tramodol. Pain levels have dropped to zero until the end of the day, when the knee gets a little achy. But that is getting less each week. I even make it through pt without any meds at all.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I agree with contacting your GP---he or she should be able to help you through this---your GP should be able to get you the Tramadol. Remember, they are all working together to take care of you.
 
Well, I'm none too happy with my GP. They called back and their office has changed "protocols." Because my surgery involved a different doctor and not her, they will not refill my percocet -- even to give me just 4 or 5 pills which should get me by until the prescription the OS is mailing me gets here. So, unless the prescription gets here tomorrow, I will run out tomorrow night and am not very happy with my GP. I know she has probably been duped too many times but my husband and I have gone to her for many many years and neither of us have ever had even a hint of a substance abuse problem! As a matter of fact, she has a harder time getting us to take things we need! I guess this is the disadvantage of going to a surgical center 3 hours away for surgery but I still don't regret it. He was a great physician and did a wonderful job. My husband even offered to drive the 3 hours to pick up the prescription in KC but I am going to keep my fingers crossed the scrip gets here tomorrow. If it doesn't, I'll use tylenol or advil to get by with for one day.

On a good note, I had PT today. ROM is now at 105 and my leg is perfectly straight. I rode the bike with no problem, did some steps up and some mini squats. He says that all looks good.
 
I hope it gets there for you. It will have been 2 weeks for you and I was still taking oxycodone at the two week mark. I guess that is the policy across the country where narcotics are involved. I never ran out because the hospital doc who released me from rehab gave me a script for 150 oxycodone! I didn't realize and just sent my sister to the pharmacy the day I came home. The pharmacy wouldn't give her all 150, which of course I was fine with. It was comical!
 
Well, the OS's office just called me back and they are going to send it next day delivery via UPS tonight so it should be guaranteed to be here tomorrow. They have been amazing to work with and thought my GP's "protocol" was pretty ridiculous. I think I started with 80 percocet but, at first I was taking 2 every 4 hours which meant 12 a day. I was going through 80 pills pretty fast at that rate. The past few days, I had decreased back to one tablet every 4 hours which was enough for me. But even with that, I was still going to be out by my evening dose tomorrow. Guess I have more on the way now though. Unfortunately for those of us who are honest and need it, people who misuse it have made it hard for the rest of us.

That's pretty funny about your oxycodone prescription! Do you take it at all anymore?

Roxie
 
That is the truth. Here in Ky to get the medicine. You know have to answer questions with ins. After that they send info to doc and ask them questions. Long process. But as I am almost pain free. It's been a rough time.


But glad u are doing well. Xxxx happy healing. Think soon you will be back to your favorite activities. And won't ever think about the replace. U will be good as new. ;-) well u are good as new. But u will be doing the things you could not do.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Glad to hear your OS was proactive and is being sure you can fill your script before you run out of pain medications.
I had a similar experience with my primary who has known me for 20+ years, the experience has caused me to question her and have a level of distrust. I have an appointment in July, we will see how it goes.
It is too early to be doing mimi squats, if they are painful or cause pain you will want to stop doing them.
Sounds like you are doing great, your ROM is doing well, and your activity level sounds just about right.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom