TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Sounds like good information for visitors to have. I went to my first PT this morning and liked my therapist, Tom. He said my measurements were already quite good for 4 days post surgery without anything being forced, which he doesn't believe in. I was a -6 on the straight leg (does that sound right?) and 102 on the bend. He mentioned today that I may be done with PT in 4 weeks so we shall see. If I truly am doing as well as they tell me I am, I give the credit to the tai chi workouts I've done over the past two years. Now I'm worn out and will probably spend a chunk of time today resting, elevating and icing!
 
Now I'm worn out and will probably spend a chunk of time today resting, elevating and icing!
Great plan for the rest of the day. :sleep::elevate: :ice: and :chillpill:
-6 and 102 is how the PT notates extension/flexion. You are doing great! You PT sounds like he will be good to work with during your recovery.
 
Wow, it took me 4 weeks to get to 100. Nice job


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
After hearing the horror stories about forceful PT people on here, I was worried, but I've had nothing but superb physical therapists so far (four different people to date). Definitely, be ready to stand up for yourself (figuratively speaking), but know there are many more people who "get it" that the knee will do better with gentleness than with force.
 
The right PT can be invaluable. I'm glad yours are good.
 
I love my PT now. Just me pushing me. Boosted my ROM 7 feh on my own. And I don't leave in agony.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I guess today would be Recovery Day 5 with my one-week "anniversary" coming up on Friday. I am still taking one percocet every 4 hours with the exception of nighttime when I take two because I sleep so well I don't always wake up to take the next one on time. (My prescription says 1-2 every 4 hours). If anything has surprised me, it is that the pain has been as minimal as it has and the movement/flexibility has been as great as it has. I'm certainly not taking these good days for granted because I know problems can crop up at anytime but won't deny that I am enjoying them! I have a little break from PT since he had to go out of town to a family wedding but we'll be back at it on Tuesday. In the meantime, I have homework to do.

Main problem at this moment seems to be -- wait for it -- constipation. I have been taking Metamucil with psillium powder, colace, etc. but not a lot is happening. I found a recipe on Bonesmart for some high fiber muffins and my husband is gone to the store to get the ingredients for me and then will make them when he gets back. I am certainly hopeful it works! Have also tried chia seeds, oatmeal, etc., etc. and lots of fruit. Alas, nothing is working. I appreciate the help I get from Bonesmart and am hopeful this will be yet another time that I get good info.

Have a good day, all. We are in a tornado warning until later tonight and the skies look a bit threatening so I'm hopeful nothing other than rain will come of it. Sure glad I learned how to do stairs because, if a tornado is spotted, I'll need to take refuge in my basement!

Roxie
 
That constipation can be a stubborn problem. i did everything recommended on BoneSmart, drank lots of water, and also took senna herbal tablets - all to no effect. In the end, I had to send my husband on a mission to the pharmacy, to buy some mini enemas. One of those (self administered) finally did the trick.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Pax
Ugh @Celle . I was trying to avoid that very thing but if the muffins don't do the trick, I am going to do the same thing myself tomorrow. Oh joy.
 
Like Celle I had to resort to a fleets, but one was all it took and I've been right as rain since.
 
It hit me while in rehab. The nurses were giving my a pill (?) consistently, but it did nothing. A wonderful male nurse suggested Miralax and that did the trick.
 
I'll second the Miralax. It seemed to do the trick.
 
Well I haven't tried Miralax….. or Milk of Magnesia. Guess those will be next on the list if nothing happens by morning. Geez.
 
I'd try the Miralax for sure, @Kansas Teacher. I'd never had this problem before ( never been on pain meds or had surgery) it didn't taste badly and worked in a day. With my second surgery I was on two different antibiotics, so no problem with constipation at all and didn't need Miralax.
 
Ugh @Celle . I was trying to avoid that very thing but if the muffins don't do the trick, I am going to do the same thing myself tomorrow. Oh joy.

Well I haven't tried Miralax….. or Milk of Magnesia. Guess those will be next on the list if nothing happens by morning. Geez.
Try the Miralax---otherwise, "Desperate times call for desperate measures..."
 
Warning, the first one may be like marbles. Sorry couldn't come up with a better description.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It took me six days post-op to be able to go. I've been taking three Colase a day since I've been home, and that, at two weeks post-op has me more or less regular with some effort.

I also had hubby pick up some prunes for me, but I like them to snack on. Muffins sound good. I'm certain you'll enjoy them no matter what. .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom