TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

I guess I need to make my first short term goal to remember to take my pain meds on time!
I made that very same mistake, too---but not due to the phone. I would say that quite a few of us learned that lesson about meds on the clock, too---and learned it rather quickly!:snork:

I wish I could have blamed the phone, but, unfortunately, it was just three people to blame---me, myself, and I.
 
For sure, @referee54 . I had no idea this recliner was so amazingly comfortable but I'm sure glad it is.
Yep---that recliner can be your fortress---relax, doze, sleep, eat, watch a little TV, and repeat!

Isn't it great being retired? You do not have any deadlines of when to return to the classroom, and no more papers to grade? A very wise move on your part!
 
@referee54 , how right you are! I was just thinking about how much stress would be piled on top of recovering if you knew that a return to work was facing you just around the curve! I know a lot of people do it and I have the greatest respect for them!

Just wrapped my already waterproof bandage in Saran Wrap as instructed and took a shower and washed my hair. That sure felt good. Then a fresh clean pair of the ever lovely support hose my surgeon is having me wear, more ice in the iceman machine and back to my much-loved recliner! We have friends in the Buckeye State -- had a lot of fun with it when our Wichita State Shockers played Ohio in the NCAA a couple years ago.
 
I returned to the classroom after my BTKR seven years ago---eight weeks into recovery. I was anxious to return, but I soon learned that I should have stayed out longer, and I paid the price in a slower recovery.

Anyway, I retired at the end of last school year after 37 years in education, and now I am enjoying retirement.
 
For sure, @referee54 . I had no idea this recliner was so amazingly comfortable but I'm sure glad it is.

My chair turned into my little island. I had two folding tv trays set up with meds, books, phone, lotion for my scar, various items needed for icing. Kept blankets and pillows piled next to it, I was as snug as a bug in a rug!

And showers... pure HEAVEN!!!!!
 
My chair turned into my little island. I had two folding tv trays set up with meds, books, phone, lotion for my scar, various items needed for icing. Kept blankets and pillows piled next to it, I was as snug as a bug in a rug!
My recliner was my fortress--it was my anchor and my comfort for some time---you are right on the money!!!

And showers... pure HEAVEN!!!!!
I was not, due to my OS's protocol, allowed to take a shower for weeks after my BTKR---and I remember how heavenly and how wonderful the first (ans subsequent) showers were. I was glad that I had a shower seat---I just sat in there in savored the feeling!
 
Same here, I had a shower transfer chair and I just sat there and reveled in the hot water running over me! It was the best part of my day in those first couple of weeks.
 
My recliner is the best. So glad I bought it just for this. I have everything arranged around it -- tissues, hand lotion, mess, books, laptop, iPad, phone, water, CPAP, waste basket, ice wraps, snacks, cats, remotes, and handy grabber (it will turn the light/fan on or off, or grab something just out of reach and pull it to me). It's my lair. The cats sometimes remove themselves from nearby, and the grabber cannot reach them. I'm a side sleeper, and I thought it might be a problem, but it helps me remain on my back, and, so far, I've been sleeping well.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Set your husband's phone also! I can understand he wanted you to sleep and possibly not be bothered with phone calls etc. Especially this early in your recovery, it's ok for him to have your meds on the ready. My sisters stayed with me and brought me my medicine until I was with it enough to take care of it myself. Be sure to take pain meds 45 min. to an hour before PT.
 
So glad it has been good for you so far. Tomorrow is my big day.
 
I have my recliner right by my bed. I can just roll out of bed right into it. Did it many a sleepless nights.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Bilbo , today is your day, isn't it? Hoping all goes well and will be anxious to hear from you. @referee54 , what did you teach before your retirement? I taught elementary school for quite a few years but then became the administrator of my public school's preschool program. I miss some of the people I worked with but do not miss the work at all!

Day 4: Still doing well. Some stiffness behind my knee but it helps to keep a gel pack there along with my Iceman machine. I slept very well in my recliner again. I think I'm just going to stay in the recliner for a good week and then try the bed. Today I start physical therapy and have already talked with them on the phone about not being too forceful. So I am hopeful it will not be a bad experience.

My nephew graduates from high school this weekend so my Mom and a couple cousins are coming down for the graduation. My sister doesn't have room for them to stay at her house so they will be staying here. I have already warned them that I would not be able to cook for them and that my husband, God love him, isn't much of a cook. He will clean house with the best of you but doesn't cook although he'd give it a sad, but valiant, effort! They love me and it will have to be what it is!

Have a good day.

Roxie
 
Today I start physical therapy and have already talked with them on the phone about not being too forceful. So I am hopeful it will not be a bad experience.
Communicating is great---way to be up front with them. Do not be afraid to speak up and let them know what you will tolerate during the PT session---remember---the PT's work for you.
I have already warned them that I would not be able to cook for them and that my husband, God love him, isn't much of a cook. He will clean house with the best of you but doesn't cook although he'd give it a sad, but valiant, effort!
Excellent!!! Resist the urge to be a great hostess at this time---your primary job is to be selfish---this is your "me time"---you need to simply rest, heal and recover. Let them know that you may doze off from time to time.

Honestly, though---I love to cook---when I began teaching in a small town in the middle of Ohio, I realized that I could either spend lots of money and go out to eat or save money and teach myself to cook. I made Chicken Parmesan last night, and tonight I think we will have salmon grilled on a cedar plank with some steamed asparagus.
 
I started teaching in a small town that had two "restaurants"---one was a generic soft-serve ice cream and burger place and one was the town deli/tavern.

I was spending too much $$, so I taught myself how to cook--I still do not bake anything, but I love to make spaghetti, lasagne, soups, meatloaf, steaks and stuffed pork chops, and bar-b-que ribs; I will use the grill 365 days a year---on New Years Eve, I always grill New York strip steaks and scampi.

I would cater, but it is a bit far from the Cleveland area, so I will have to pass....:snork::snork:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to the topic---just let the folks know who are visiting that you may not be very active in conversation at times---when folks came to visit me so soon after the BTKR, I would just doze off and wake up a few minutes later.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom