TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Hi Roxie,

I think it is amazing that you can walk as far as you do!!! I am OK standing for brief periods, but can not do the walking that you do yet. I guess we are all slightly different, although very similar in our recoveries. I think you are doing so well and I know will continue to heal totally in time. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
 
@MidwestTKR , thanks but I think I overdid the walking today. I honestly think I walked at least two miles and my knee is letting me know about it. I iced tonight and am elevating and resting but, dang, it is sore. My knee is swollen and the top of my tibia, quads and the sore spot to the right of my incision all ache tonight along with my IT band. Hoping I am tired enough to sleep tonight. I've already joined the ODIC once -- not sure why in the world I felt the need to rejoin.

Roxie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Did it hurt while walking or not until you were done and resting? I ask cause even now I can feel my leg getting tired at times when I've gone too far and I'm wondering if I should be feeling that.
 
@KarriB , it hurt after I had walked for awhile as it swelled. My IT band also hurts the more I walk. The other general soreness I noticed more when I stopped to rest although resting did help it recover -- until I started walking again. It was just way too much activity for me right now. What do you notice about yours?

Roxie
 
I'm sorry you had an ODIC experience. Rest, ice, and elevate a bit more for a few days and the swelling will go.
 
Hi @Kansas Teacher

You asked how I got my avatar which is my nickname to the grandkids. Well they got the name off a soap called Eastenders and decided it suited me better. So they were quite cheeky and said come on Nana moon x x x even now the bigger ones will walk in and say hello Nana moon! Hilarious! I'm about twenty years younger than the one off Eastenders.

I'm loving reading about your journey and that of @MidwestTKR and others as they are slow and steady recovery as mine is. It reassures me and others that a slow recovery is acceptable... I had a very slow recovery with my other knee and was convinced I'd have this done and be back to normal very quickly. It didn't work that way but it is slow and sure.

Please take care.
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Kansas Teacher its not the tight feeling now (18 months after surgery, ugh) just a very tired feeling. Almost like your body feels when you've done too much, but it's just my knee. It'll feel weak and the muscles feel the opposite of tight, loose or wobbly. I put it down to the infection and the fact that I was soooooo sedentary before the surgery, but just wondered how yours felt when tired and over done. Thanks
 
@KarriB , I'm sure you are right and that makes total sense. No, I am still in the swelling stage. My swelling isn't going down as fast as I'd like but I had a lot of swelling before the surgery too and was told it could take 6 months or even a year before it's gone.

@Nana moon 27 , I love your story. And I think slow and steady is just fine! I'd love to be jackrabbit fast but steady works too!

So, this morning, I didn't walk all over Durango like yesterday but did go on a 2 hour rafting trip with my husband, daughter and son-in-law and grandson on the Animas River. We got soaked when our raft went through rapids (39 degree water, no less) and no one fell out which was bonus! I wouldn't have gone on it if I would have been concerned about falling out or hurting my knee. It was fun and the water that constantly splashed us was cold enough that I am pretty sure it was the equivalent of icing my knee. Tomorrow, my husband and I leave for Crested Butte where we will meet up with our son and his family for about two days then head home to Kansas, where it's supposed to be about 100 degrees by the time we get there.

Roxie
 
Remember your out in them woods, walking on uneven ground requires more balance and works the knee joint at many different angles. the cold water probably felt good on the knee from the rafting. doubt falling out would have hurt it, most raft trip s tell you to point feet first down river so you can push off rocks or jagged bolders. Fell in enough times in Colorado, especially in a spot call the toilet bowl on the upriver side before the grand section. Darn thing generally though the entire raft every time. Lastly, less oxygen where your attitude, so don't over do it. have fun and we will see you back when you get here.
 
Now in Crested Butte and, may I say that this is the cutest quaint little town I've seen. It's surrounded by mountains and is compact enough that everything seems to be within a 5 or 6 block walk -- perfect for my knee. Had lots of time to ice on the drive over from Durango and taking advantage of a break before dinner to ice and elevate in our room.

I still have that slightly sore and discolored tingly area to the medial side of my incision. Do you think that's still normal at almost 10 weeks?

Roxie
 
Yeap, I have a numb spot on the right side of the knee cap and up the side. OS said it will always be like that.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
18 months and I still have numbness to the right of my right knee. I always miss shaving there because I can't feel it very well.
 
My overdose of PT has caused excessive tingles this week, not just the small bit I was feeling prior to the manip. Sensory overload to the knee, I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Listen, I wasn't allowed to shower for 6 weeks because of the infection! That was a long 6 weeks of sink bathing and not shaving! I had never gone that long without shaving and I know it sounds ridiculous, but I was embarrassed for my OS to examine my leg with that much hair on it!

Again, @Kansas Teacher, I've hijacked your thread!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB that would've driven me nuts.

(how's this for getting back on track...)

Roxie, your chauffeur sounds great! Sounds like you're taking a scenic route home. When will you be back home?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Wanted to stop in and see how your vacation was going. I'm 4 weeks today, my kids that are 10 and 12 are bummed because they don't think we're going to get a family vacation this summer. Well I took the full 12 weeks off of work, and inspired by your vacation. Trying to decide if I think I'll be able to do it at some point before 12 weeks. I still have a really really tight knee that band feeling around it. I am getting around a lot better, but still have not done much walking at all. Dare to say I've never walked more than a hundred yards at one time. So trying to figure out if I can hack a small vacation.. I think my ROM is decent 107 and 3
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom