Shoot. I had a setback of sorts. Tuesday (Jan 7), I hadn't done any sort of workout or anything new. Things had been going pretty well kneewise. I was in the gym locker room, before going to physical therapy (for my neck, not my knee). When getting up and stepping away from a bench, I heard a "snap," along with a quick/small jab of pain in my knee. Standing at the sink, it started to ache. By the time I walked to the PT's office, it was hurting with each step. I tried shaking it out some while I was in the waiting room, but nothing seemed to help. I guessed that a tendon or nerve or strand of fascia popped over something else, which is the kind of thing where the pain usually abates quickly. But laying on the table for an hour (while the PT worked on my back and neck) didn't help. When I left, I had trouble walking across the parking lot. I couldn't straighten my leg and had to walk on tip toe. I cancelled plans for that day. Went home to ice and elevate. Did a round of Diclophenac gel.
The knee hurt generally everywhere, but the pain was worst in two places: Around the lower medial edge of the femur and at the medial corner of the kneecap (which has been one of my long term remaining pain spots). I had some mild generalized swelling.
Wednesday, I rested it completely, and did some compression that night (which helped the swelling). Thursday, the pain was getting less all day, even though I was standing much of the day. Last Friday, I was almost back to normal, but achy enough since then that I have avoided walking long distances.
It has been 9 days now. The lower pain (just above the joint line, at the most medial place) is about 10% of what it was last week (hurts to the touch, not when I walk). The upper, "corner of the kneecap" pain is still there but comes and goes unpredictably (doesn't hurt to the touch, but hurts with each step sometimes).
Any ideas from the medical folk here?
I don't think anything major happened, or it would still be getting worse. I've got a couple thoughts:
1) Since the swelling was at its lowest ever in the week before this happened, things may be starting to rub together or catch on each other. I can envision a bigger than usual "twang" that might hurt for a week or more.
2) The two sore spots might be the ends of fascia that goes crossways between the corner of the kneecap and the femur. The lengthwise fibers that connect quad to kneecap to tibia don't hurt at all.
3) A strand of scar tissue might have torn or shifted. In the early months, I had a few big pangs of pain that were followed (within 30 minutes) by a bit more mobility in twisting movements. Maybe something similar happened this time (wishful thinking? lol).
PS before I got my TKR, I thought one of my pains was from an inflamed medial plica. I wanted to get that removed, but they wouldn't do "small stuff" because I was headed for TKR anyway. I hoped that it would get removed in the process, but maybe it didn't. The exact same spot has often hurt on the other, non-surgical knee, for years.