Getting 2 brand spankin' new hips next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi SeaSiren, glad you joined us! You asked about being able to work on your computer after 2-3 weeks. Physically that could be a challenge as sitting for long periods is sometimes hard for new hippies. In any case, concentration can also be an issue. You will still be on regular medication to control post op pain. Then there is the issue if stamina. You need to allow yourself time to heal. After that it's all go.....

And please don't worry about stairs. You will work with physio in the hospital and learn everything you need to know before leaving. I had 13 stairs and was up and down them from day 1 at home.
 
Thanks for the warm welcome Jaycey :SUNsmile: and assurance about computer time and stairs - that's so great you managed a flight of stairs right away! My brain is spinning today (as I'm working - bad!) Keep thinking I'm forgetting to do or get something before surgery... I'll have to find someone's 'check list'... But my latest 'pit-in-stomach' concern is simply being a burden... post-op! :sad: My husband's a doll and will be at my beck and call for the first 5-6 days. But I know I'm going to have a tough time with asking for help all the time... making meals etc... (I'm pretty independent) I dissolved into tears last night when he tried to help make dinner. Told him I needed to do everything I CAN DO now because in the next few weeks I won't be able to!!! Sweet man reassured me he's there for me BUT???... It's in My DNA to be the one to help! Anyone have wisdom on how to be OK asking for and accepting 'help'?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Getting 2 brand spankin' new hips next week
SeaSiren, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. Maybe the following from the Library will help:
Assistance from friends and family: how to let go and accept it.

This one may also be helpful: Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

You WILL NOT be a burden post-op. You will be a recovering surgery patient. Your family will have an opportunity to do for you as you have done for them. Don't spoil their chance to do things for you--sit back and enjoy--you'll be back to doing it all soon enough.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Getting 2 brand spankin' new hips next week
 
I think you will be pleasantly surprised how mobile you are post op. And you won't be a burden! I'm just like you - independent. I spent most of my recovery days alone. You will be able to cook for yourself - but ready meals for the first few days make things more convenient. Once you figure out how to get around with the walker or crutches you can pretty much do things on your own - within the 90 degree restrictions. I know it all seems overwhelming now. I was more worried about the post op restrictions than the surgery. But I had no problem with the restrictions. They seems very normal to me. You'll be fine SeaSiren!
 
After I was let out of hospital and aloud to go home, sleeping in the bed on my back and sitting in an upright chair, and not crossing my legs, is the hardest
 
Thanks for your kind support Jaycey! Very reasurring especially after reading about 1/3 of your recovery post... just up to your 2+ week updates and will continue reading about your journey... so helpful and encouraging ! Lucky me - no restrictions expected with anterior on both hips :yes: I was very excited to read how well your first shower went! How is your recovery going jimmy52??? How are you getting comfortable with those restrictions?
 
SeaSiren, asking for help and relying on others is a tough one. My first two weeks home after surgery my husband had off work and was able to be with me. My mom and sister both said if I needed them they would come and stay with me but truly I slept so much I didn't feel I needed them. By the third week and was up and doing a lot on my own. I started making easy meals and doing light housework. As far as your husband helping you make dinner, let him. Enjoy the help, if your house is anything like mine the helpfulness won't last long.:skep:
 
You already got your walker zauberflöte!!?? and the tennis balls!! I'm sure our hip-sis TennisNut will love your extra :snork: You are so prepared - must have been a girl scout :)... I would like one with wheels thank you! :bicycle2: Anyway had a crazy busy day working -- my customers just kept piling on last minute projects! But mid-afternoon I headed to the hair salon and got a trim and a little 'touch-up' and at least I look better than I feel! I'm glad it's the weekend even tho I'll still have to finish up some work projects... hopefully be able to spend most of Monday getting the house ready and packing and not panicking!!! Need to breathe deeply and really need a good mantra! (or adult beverage :martini: ) Any suggestions???
 
SeaSiren nope, never a girl scout, but my father's motto was, "Don't forget to take your lunch" which of course means, be prepared!
My walker came from my late grandmother-in-law, as did my raised commode thingie. They'd been sitting around in her house, which now belongs to my husband's generation, and I cleaned them up and we brought them back from vacation with us. So nice to have things you know who the last user was.... I still need to use about a can of WD-40 on the walker wheels-- they are frozen up good!:bicycle2:
I admore all those who are at work and managing their THR's at the same time. I took an early retirement when I was 50, and am self-under-employed at the moment. So I cancelled the gig that was going to interfere with things. Missed my chance to play in Alice Tully hall, dang it!
Yay you getting hair done!
Suggestions for the mantra or the beverage???:wink:
 
Good luck for next week SeaSiren, we will be waiting to get that all important post op update from you when you feel up to it :)
 
SeaSiren, I have found the perfect avatar for you. It is already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested it. Just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done.
[Bonesmart.org] Getting 2 brand spankin' new hips next week


If you are not interested, it is perfectly okay---my feelings well not be hurt. I just enjoy doing this when the opportunity arises.
 
I have found the perfect avatar for you.
How VERY thoughtful of you bottomshollow!! I love the avatar you found for me! :thankyou: Since I was a little girl I've been fascinated with mermaids... Magical, beautiful, mysterious and good swimmers too... hahaha. I so am fortunate to live right near the ocean - I go there daily and keep watch out for mermaid sightings!! The waves are very healing. You made my day... thank you!
 
Thanks so much Poppet... you can't imagine (or maybe you can!) how the support of this forum as well as the wealth of information helps! I'll be sure to bring my tablet to hospital and send updates to my new beloved hipsters pals! :angel:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Getting 2 brand spankin' new hips next week
It was my pleasure. I'm so glad you like it. It looks good on you!!!
 
Our Judy is very special bottomshollow, we all love her images.. They out a smile on our faces.. Certainly every morning I am looking for them to cheer me on.

I am glad you find the forum supportive, this is our mission..
 
Well, well SeaSiren and zauberflöte, I see my hippy shake sisters have been busy! Yesss! The tennis balls will be perfect especially when slashed! - a real low and lazy bounce :yes!: I have also been moving along, commode thingy washed and cleaned - I'm thinking of using it as my shower chair as well :rolleyes: walker has had a makeover and ready to roll! I got a shower extension thingy so I can sit in the shower and direct the water, ... A little control goes a loooooong way :), I also got me grabbers, these are cool toys! Having a blast practicing my skills :beer: I think I'm ready.... Spices has been moved to higher ground, center of the fridge has become my zone, hubby has been introduced to the dishwasher and the laundry room :yikes: I'm ready! Bring my hip!
 
Well, well well indeed TennisNut! Was getting just a teensy bit concerned about you as you haven't been about... But you sound in fine spirits and seem to have everything in place :egypdance: You're actually way ahead of me in the organization game. The only things I really have ready are the grab bars in shower, those cool grabbers, breakfast tray w/legs, and my millennial crutches have arrived!! :yes!: very hi-techie they are... Tomorrow is grocery shopping and treating myself to a robe with pockets! Hubby does all the laundry and dishes already - yes! I am one lucky lady ;-) My current issue is still this doggone UTI!! On new antibiotics - 2nd round after the Cipro did no good - today went for another test that won't be ready till Monday... I'm a bit nervous they'll postpone!! Having a few symptoms... running to the loo more often than usual -- but surgeon knows the treatment doesn't end till Monday, he seemed to be OK last week with it - fingers crossed!! I will be in total despair if this holds things up!! On the bright side - heading out with the family to a nice restaurant at the beach for dinner (I'm definitely having a special beverage tonight!) :martini: I'll be toasting to all our new hips!! Yours, @zauberflöte's, mine and all the hippy's here!! We need a positive MANTRA?!!! xoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom