Guest viewing is limited

General Posting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
@nudaii Please see post 15 of this thread regarding the bug report I made on the thread tool function. Members are reporting that they either never see the thread tools option or they use it once and it disappears. The screen shot shows how it appears when the thread tools is not available.
 
its tied to the ability to edit posts, seems it has a 48 hour max limit, unless you wish to change the post edit time limit also :)
 
@Anne27 I agree, too. Although I do understand the reason for keeping all of my posts in my own recovery thread I'd really prefer to occasionally ask a single question as a new post. Someone said that keeping all of my posts and questions in my own thread makes it possible for the advisors and moderators to better answer as they can see my entire history. While in theory that might be true, in practice it isn't working so well. When I've had a question there are usually only a few who will read and/or answer it when done this way. I cannot help but think that a brand new thread with a title relevant to the specific question being asked would result in multiple replies, helping me more quickly and with more information.

I've thought perhaps I might ask a question in a new post, adding a note to the moderators to please not move it to my main thread but haven't done so as I've seen countless others told to keep ALL posts in one thread. You might want to rethink this policy as it does not neccesarily best serve the patient who sometimes needs information quickly.

When I see a thread that has fifty or one hundred pages of posts there is no way I can read through all of that. As a result I'm sure I've missed something that would have been helpful.

The "Thread Tools" is nowhere to be found on my iPad or my desktop pc either.
 
Hopefully the thread tools will be fixed, and you can change your thread title when you have a question to attract responses to your question.
 
I don't understand how changing the thread title will help. One still has to wade thru pages and pages of comments to find the last one, and then have to read backward to figure out what is being said. So if someone has a post with 10 pages of replies, and then has a question, they're supposed to change the thread title? How about just change it to the question being asked? I agree, often with the longer, older posts, very few people really read or respond to them. I know I don't.
 
You do know that if you don't want to read older posts you can click on page numbers at the bottom of the screen at skip to the most recent page...
 
@kneeper Well yes, I, for one do know that but when faced with so many posts how would one know which page to read? It's confusing. This is a wonderful and supportive forum and has been an incredible help but I can't always find what I need or get answers quickly. Most of my questions have been answered! As an example of why it would be nice if we could post separate threads now and then: yesterday I needed help with a specific question and posted my question in my thread. I rec'd one reply but not from an advisor. (I wanted to know if others had developed hip pain on the opposte side. I have. I called my OS and he wanted to see me but I would have liked to have heard from others on this site before I saw my doc. If I had posted a brand new thread on that subject I would have had multiple replies partly because of the specific thread title.)

I love Bonesmart. I wish doctors gave this forum as a resource to their patients. However, it could use a little tweaking and perhaps the rules could be a tad less stringent.
 
Perhaps tagging an advisor would be the way to go in that case.
 
I'm curious as to how many new people actually reply in these posts that have thousands of views and pages and pages of replies. From what I can tell it's usually the same people. How about giving it a try and letting people post a question in a new thread? Or are the rules really that stringent? It's a shame. This is a great website/forum but after a new person posts a question and gets a few replies, many fade away. The same people post in the threads with numerous pages. Maybe people might like to start a new thread to ask a simple question? I know I don't bother reading the threads with pages and pages of replies.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody expects you to read every page of the long threads! Just read the most recent posts. If they interest you, then read back a bit.

If you have a question that needs a quick answer, then just tag one of the moderators or forum advisers - like this @Celle .
If you post a question in a separate, new thread, it will very quickly be moved into your current thread. That's because the person answering needs to be able to look at all your past history, in order to get the full story.
 
I'm curious as to how many new people actually reply in these posts that have thousands of views and pages and pages of replies. From what I can tell it's usually the same people. How about giving it a try and letting people post a question in a new thread? Or are the rules really that stringent? It's a shame. This is a great website/forum but after a new person posts a question and gets a few replies, many fade away. The same people post in the threads with numerous pages. Maybe people might like to start a new thread to ask a simple question? I know I don't bother reading the threads with pages and pages of replies.
Sephia, I appreciate your opinion, but if you read the response I made earlier, I hope you can understand that we have set up this procedure because the staff needs to have each member's recovery history easily at hand. That is mandatory for the successful functioning of BoneSmart. Years ago we didn't require the single thread and it did not work well. It's not that we're unwilling to try this procedure. It's that we've done it and the single thread works better for getting accurate information to members quickly.

If you or any member wants to get an answer to a "simple" question, that is possible. A new thread can be started even in the recovery forum if it's a general question. Or if it's a question related to the member's own recovery, he or she can tag staff or other members or change their title to reflect the question.
 
As an example of why it would be nice if we could post separate threads now and then: yesterday I needed help with a specific question and posted my question in my thread. I rec'd one reply but not from an advisor. (I wanted to know if others had developed hip pain on the opposte side. I have. I called my OS and he wanted to see me but I would have liked to have heard from others on this site before I saw my doc. If I had posted a brand new thread on that subject I would have had multiple replies partly because of the specific thread title.)

This is a perfect example of a case where you could have asked this general question in a separate thread. You were not asking for advice regarding your recovery (even though the question does pertain to you as well), but it was more of a general question. It's all in how you frame the question.
 
@Jamie Okay. That's good to know. Over and over I've seen any question that was asked outside of a poster's recovery thread quickly moved to their thread. I assumed mine would be as well; my question does have to do with my recovery as the new right hip pain is the result of the left tkr. Referree54 said I should have tagged an advisor. I don't know all the rules! Josephine has said that she (and other advisors?) does not need to be tagged as she checks all threads where she has ever made a reply. I'm going to go ahead and post a new thread with my question. Thanks for the help!
 
Here's what I'd like to see, an ACUTE recovery forum for people, oh, say, in the first few weeks or couple of months post op. It makes no sense for me to have the first page of the forum dominated at times by threads that were started literally years before. Some 'recovery' threads are really socializing threads after a certain amount of time.
 
@jeano - I agree with you. There's one thread on the first page that is dated November 11, 2011. I have a hard time believing that after 3 years that there is anything useful in that thread besides socializing. There are many threads that are several months old, as well as over a year old. Those threads have useful information related to recovery? Really?? At this point? I can't believe that the OP of the thread dated 2011 is really asking questions related to their recovery. Why aren't these threads, after months and years, not moved to the socializing forum? Why should I do a search on something and pull up a thread that is over a year old - is that information really relevant? But - I'm beginning to understand that this forum is dominated by a few people who identify themselves as moderators and advisors who all think alike, so suggesting anything counter to their opinions fall on deaf ears. They're in control and any suggestions to the way they want to run this forum are simply not considered. But I also know how it works - if I don't like it I don't have to post. Which I don't - I very rarely, rarely ever post here anymore.
 
...dominated by a few people who identify themselves as moderators and advisors
We don't identify ourselves, the owners ask us if we'd like to do the job.

Dominated by in the sense that we contribute more than others, yes.
who all think alike
:rotfl: No, we don't. Trust me on this one.
They're in control and any suggestions to the way they want to run this forum are simply not considered.
Yes they are. I have had suggestions taken up from before the time I was an advisor.
 
My thread was started in 2011, I have had a very long painful difficult recovery. There may be some social posts, for the most part my thread is about my knee and how hard this has been for me. Right now I am having to deal with my Mothers recent fall and her her difficult recovery, all the while dealing with a long painful recovery from my revision in April 2014. The support I am receiving from other members is a life line for me and helps me deal with my painful knee and the pain of watching my elderly Mother suffer at the end of her life.
Being able to post and ask for support over this long slog of a recovery has been a life saver for me. Please do not judge a thread by it's start date, it may mean that member has had a very difficult recovery, please respect that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom