THR Gazelle's Anterior hip recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Sunday Morning! HOT HOT HOT here. 90's today.... Suppose to cool down back into the 70's starting Monday... Not a day too soon! I am not a fan of hot weather!:ice:

My post op visit with the PA went well on July 16th... I really did not have any issues. Incision is healing well, asked her when I could vacuum and ride my inside exercise bike. She said in a couple of weeks. So, at about 4-5 weeks out from surgery. I am still using both crutches when outside or at the store etc. Inside just using the one crutch. Not quite ready to go to the cane just yet.... Still sleeping a lot and still doing the Oxycodone- one tablet about every 5-6 hours 5 mg.:chillpill: Each day I feel a little bit better. What I have learned after three surgeries is that the first couple of weeks you need to just rest, sleep and sleep. My first two surgeries it was not normal for me to let myself sleep and rest and be lazy. I felt guilty. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY AT ALL!:sleep::zzz::sleeep::alarm:ALL YOU WANT! It took my third surgery to realize this...

I went up the stairs as a normal person would yesterday with no crutch. NO pain or discomfort.:happydance: Coming down the stairs is a bit more challenging and I tend to lead with my good leg and do the one step method. still icing and elevating when laying down.

@Susie4034 can you put any weight on the new hip yet? That would be so challenging... good for you to be keeping active as you can to keep up your strength. Glad to hear your appetite is improving. Yes, mine is getting better. I think once off the pain meds it will come back as normal. Not being active either makes it harder to get an appetite. Please fill me in how your Post OP visit goes and getting those staples out.

@DesertHorses How did your POST OP visit go? Glad to hear you are doing well!! :thumb:

That's about it. We are planning a shopping trip today... will see how that goes. Joan:SUNsmile:
 
July 20, 2015....Monday

Two weeks today since surgery. I graduated to the cane From the crutch today! I am going up and down the stairs with no pain. I gets little achy if walking quite a bit. Taking less pain meds... Maybe every 6-7 hours IF needed. Shopping yesterday wore me out, but, hip was fine using crutch.

I notice the difference In pain between before surgery and after. Now the pain is more achy healing pain. Not the pre surgery sharp stabbing pain. I can Put my sock on the right foot ....just barely...a little better every day. Sitting for long periods is still uncomfortable. Still icing, resting, but, more active now.

Talk to you soon! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
You are doing so well! I'm glad to hear you are making progress (and it sounds like you feel good!)
 
July 22, 2015 Day 16

I seemed to have turned a corner yesterday. Only using cane, and not always. I usually forget to reach for it and just go without it!. I stopped the Oxycodone yesterday and just am using Tylenol as needed. I really hate being dependent on drugs and want to get off of them ASAP. Feel good other than just lack of energy. I am sleeping OK. Still taking it easy, but, am getting around well. All in all I feel pretty good for just two weeks since surgery. I will check in again in a few days to update. Joan
 
@gazelle7777so very happy how great you are doing!!' ❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
August 2, 2015 One Month since surgery on July 6th.

Greetings! At the one month recovery phase now. Feeling quite good. I many times forget to grab the cane and just walk about the house and outside without it. I have little discomfort really. A bit of stiffness or aching now and then on the days I overdue it with shopping or cleaning. I go to my one month Post Op visit with my Surgeon on this coming Wednesday. I will have a both knees and both hips visit combined in one. I will ask him about starting to ride my exercise bike again and such. So far I have not been doing any exercises other than walking.

@PDA ; @Susie4034 ; @Jaycey thanks so much for your continued support and friendship here. @Susie4034 how are you doing? Are you walking on your leg now? Let me know how you are.

Well, that is about it for my update. Unless something comes up, I will post another update first of
September. Take best of care everyone! Joan.:SUNsmile:
 
Good update! I was just thinking about you today.
 
August 6, 2015

(One month since surgery on July 6th, 2015)

I went for my post OP for my new hip, and one year follow up for my left hip and my two year follow up for my two knees yesterday(Wednesday) all combined with my surgeon. Everything looks great! I actually went all day yesterday including shopping with no cane. So I am feeling pretty good. He said I do not need to come back for three years and we would just do a combined visit for all my joints like this time. Of course if any issues come up to call them.

So, I guess I am pretty much released! It is rather weird but I feel like the joint center over the past three years has become like a second home to me... and I will miss the place in some odd strange way!

So, now I can get back to living. My surgeon said I could exercise and :bicycle1:etc., now. Which is good as I have been pretty:sleeep: lazy:elevate: the past month! My new hip feels so much better than before surgery!

I will check back and update. Blessings to all! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
@gazelle7777 so happy to hear you are doing so well. Wow,you don't have to go back for three years. So what are your plans for your new found freedom?

I still can't put full weight on my hip. I do feel like I have better range of motion each day.
 
@Susie4034 Glad to hear you are seeing improvement every day!:thumb: I over did it a bit on the exercise bike:upright: yesterday and feel sore today... so much for all that freedom! LOL! Need to learn to take it slow and easy. Not my personality, but, not a bad thing to work on. Best wishes to you Susie Q! Joan:)


@CricketHip thanks for the encouragement! Looks like you are in line for a new hip as well! I will look for your recovery thread and cheer you on! With Anterior you will start to feel better so much faster than other approaches. Best wishes to you! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - must feel great not to have a joint replacement looming in the future. Well done a stellar recovery! Easy does it on the exercise. You'll be racking up the miles on that bike in no time!
 
@Josephine ...wanted to ask you a question. When I had my post op visit a day ago with my surgeon, he pointed out in the Xray of hip that he had used a screw....In the Xray it is obvious there is a screw into the bone of the pelvis. He said something about using that to stabilize the joint better. How common is this? Could it cause any problems? I asked him and he said no. I would just like another educated opinion.

I had NO screw placed in my left hip. I suppose every surgery and hip is different. Thank- you for your time!

Joan
 
Some uncemented cups are designed to be used with an acetabular screw and are used routinely.
What make are your two hips?

[Bonesmart.org] Gazelle's Anterior hip recovery thread
 
@Josephine they are DePuy. My Xray looks just like you posted. Wonder why one hip would need it and not the other? Thanks!
 
And are they both uncemented? If so, I suppose he just decided the cup needed a little extra stability.
They are an 'optional extra'!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom