THR Gazelle's Anterior hip recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gazelle7777 glad your pain is under control. I am taking the same pain relievers you are at about the same schedule. Are you on a blood thinner and/or stool softeners? I am taking both of those also. I am also not very hungry but have the opposite weight problem that you do so I am not too worried. Hopefully your appetite will gradually come back.

I am glad it is going to be cooler soon for you.I have the air on here. A nurse is going to be comming soon to do a blood draw and interview. I will check back on you later.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DAY 7....JULY 11, 2015

6:25 am. Feeling pretty good this morning. Got up at 2 AM as I am sleeping most of the day right now on these meds. I am icing regular, taking my oxycodone one 5mg every 4 hours. Will cut back my dose to one every 5 hours starting Monday and see how I do. I prefer to be off of the Meds. :chillpill:

It has cooled down to the 70's thank goodness so I can relax better and not be so uncomfortable with the high temps we had for a few weeks. I am feeling a bit better little by little every day. I have a lot of stiffness... pain not so much. I will be going back to bed pretty soon here.... a bit of R&R :sleeep: talk to you all again tomorrow! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Been thinking about you @gazelle7777 ! Glad you are getting some much needed rest. It's all behind you now. Lots of R&R prescribed!
 
Great to hear you are home and doing pretty well. You know the drill about staying ahead of the pain and you are clearly following the :zzz: protocol. :) Hang in there.
 
:wave:Day 7, July 12 ,2015

Had a rough afternoon yesterday and night last night. Just an achy uncomfortable feeling in the operated on right hip area, my ankle aches on the right leg as does the knee sometimes. I upped my Oxycodone to 10 MGs from 5 last night as I just could not rest from the achy feeling from the hip down the leg. I think much of the ache is that I am bearing weight on the leg differently to offset the pain when using the crutch.

This first week of healing is much different than the other experience I had with my left hip in 2014. I have much more discomfort this first week. I just do not feel real good( maybe from being anemic going into surgery?) I am much more tired as well.

Tomorrow my "Nurse" Husband returns to work so I will be home alone and on my own. My how spoiled I got having him fluff my bed pillows and getting me cold drinks!:roseshwr: Time to get Back to reality! Take care all and talk to you tomorrow! Joan
 
I am sorry you had a tough day yesterday. I hope today is easier for you. Are you going to stay on the higher dose of oxy for a little bit longer? Are you going to be okay on your own?
 
Hang in there my friend. You have had major surgery and you are anaemic. Anyone would be tired. Try to rest - you know the mantra. Please don't try and cut back on any meds yet. Too early! This too shall pass!
 
@gazelle7777 Hope you're feeling better and able to get some sleep. :sleeep:
Are you eating well? I didn't have much appetite the first couple of weeks and did feel better when my appetite perked up - helped along with easy to fix "healthy" snacks - one of my faves is Costco's chicken salad. :chuck:
 
@kneeper, @DesertHorses , @JayceyM, @Susie4034, @Cynthia777, @agileHippie and every Bone Smart friend

July 13, Monday. One week since surgery today
Feeling OK this morning. Not quite so fragile and wiped out. I am still on the every 4 hour or so protocol for pain meds. I try to only take 5 mg of the Oxycodone, but at night I sleep better with 10 mgs. Icing as much as I can. I did take off the top bandage yesterday before showering. Wound area looks good. Little swelling, no redness to speak of. No Hematoma like I had from last hip because of over doing it. Lots of rest this time!

Cynthia777, yes my other hip was the same approach- anterior. The experience was very different. I had much less pain from day one with the left hip. Actually hardly ANY PAIN AT ALL!! I kind of came up with a reason maybe why my left anterior was so easy pain wise compared to my right... I have a lot of numbness on my left thigh... probably nerve damage when they move the muscle to the side. With my right hip just done, I have no numbness... do you think that the nerve damage blocked the pain coming from the site where they put in the left hip? Just a guess, but, maybe a possibility. I prefer the numbness over the pain ANYDAY.

Susie4034, I think I will be fine today.. husband just left for work. I will get the birds up( we have several cages) and give them new water. I will not vacuum or do anything strenuous.

DesertHorses I will make myself a really healthy protein shake today. My appetite is not back yet, but, I know with my knees it took a couple of weeks before I felt "Normal". Yes, Costco can be a very dangerous place LOL! Love their snacks and prepared foods!

agilehippie thanks for the Greek yogurt suggestion. LOVE that and do have it in the fridge. Love it with frozen berries... tastes like ice cream! MMMMmmmm Good! :thumb:

so another week ahead. My Post op visit with the PA is on Thursday. It will feel good to get out of the house. Talk to you all tomorrow. Thanks for being there! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Sounds like good progress! No heroics with hubby gone! :no-fin: Just R&R plus :ice:!
 
Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! Just don't overdo anything and get something in your belly to keep your strength up! I'll be thinking about you.
 
Interesting hypothesis on the numbness pain connection. It makes a lot of sense, but I'm far from being an expert on it!
 
How are you feeling today? It is a beautiful day here in Wisconsin and for the first time since surgery I feel things are going to be okay.
 
@Susie4034 ....it is a lovely day here as well! And, I FEEL A bit better....still have discomfort ....but I feel less wiped out. I am still on the Oxycodone 5 mgs every 4 to 5 hours. I am able to bend down a bit better....move a bit better. So glad we both are healing! I go to my Post OP visit tomorrow for just a check up, check wound etc visit. When do you go?
 
I have my appointment on Friday July 24 to get my staples out. I look forward to that but will still be on restricted weight, Ted stockings and a blood thinner I think. I am happy to be getting around a little easier and feeling a bit more with it. Have you been able to eat a little more? My appetite is slowly coming back.
 
@gazelle7777 How are you doing? Every day I feel like I am getting around a little bit better. Still stuck in the house but a friend is coming over tomorrow and we are going to practice going down the steps and into and out of the car. The pt came yesterday and we practiced also. I feel a little shaky but can't imagine being stuck in the house for 4 more weeks.

How is your pain coming along, is it getting any better?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom