THR Gazelle's A-Z - Anterior Hip Replacement Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAY 12, October 11, 2014

Hello fellow hipsters and my two musketeers!

Yesterday I went out of the house WITH REAL CLOTHES ON AND MAKEUP:curtsey: I felt a bit human again out of the sloppy jammys! Husband drove and we went to the store etc. Stocked up on next weeks staples. I felt good and comfortable walking with just one crutch! In the store I used the shopping cart like a walker and it was fine. No pain or discomfort! I did have quite a bit of swelling over incision area.. but this is where I have my swelling. Just along the incision. Zauberflote, I hope it is not FAT:bignono: That is my least favorite word!. Not being active this last couple of weeks makes me afraid to eat calories, as I normally use my fit bit to count my steps and my steps have been so LOW.... so I am trying to eat only enough to keep me going. Very healthy but low carb and nothing not necessary. Only healthy calories.

Yes Msfit1, I have the dissolvable stitches. A few of the steri strips have fallen off so I can now see the incision area. Kind of puckered. Nothing unusual or anything. I go this Monday to see the Drs. Assistant to have her check out my incision area and I will bring a list of questions for her. Then, a week later on Oct. 20th, I start PT. It is the same place and same therapist I used with my Knees. I am scheduled for three times a week, for 4 weeks. Seems excessive to me really. With both knees when done I could see the reason for all the PT. It was very necessary, but, not sure exactly what kind of PT they do with hips. Guess I will find out. On October 28th, I have my first Post Op visit with my surgeon, they will take more xrays etc . Gosh the last few years, I have had MORE xrays than in my lifetime.... kind of scares me as I know they are dangerous. But what you gonna do??? Not much choice in the matter when you have joint replacement.

Hi Ya Jaycee!:friends: Hope this finds you feeling well. Any plans for the weekend??

:egypdance:ME2... You looking forward to you right hip replacement on Oct 15th.. coming right up here! And on your Birthday! What a wonderful present to receive for a gift:yes:

Well,that is about it for this update post. Going to nap later today. Sleep was no good last night. Not because of my hip.... but both shoulders and arms ache terribly I am thinking from something neck and upper spine related. I am going to go to my Internist here for my yearly physical soon and find out what it is and go from there. Maybe acupressure will help or massage? With all the arthritis in my body I assume it is from that in some capacity.

Talk to you all soon.:wave: Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Yesterday I went out of the house WITH REAL CLOTHES ON AND MAKEUP
Well done! I have done the real clothes part since day 2 in hospital. But haven't even thought about makeup. You go girl!
I am scheduled for three times a week, for 4 weeks. Seems excessive to me really.
Unfortunately you will probably be given some of the same exercises you were give for your knees. Hips really don't need all that PT. Walking is the best PT. If they start adding resistance or weight - please tell them to give it a miss. You will just end up sore and stiff.
Gosh the last few years, I have had MORE xrays than in my lifetime.... kind of scares me as I know they are dangerous.
I asked about this in hospital. I had 3 x-rays and a CT scan pre-op. Then they wanted another once post op. The amount of radiation these days is very low. I wouldn't worry about it.
Any plans for the weekend??
By hook or crook I am getting out of the house sometime this weekend. Starting to get cabin fever! Hope the weather cooperates!
both shoulders and arms ache terribly I am thinking from something neck and upper spine related.
Is this from sleeping on your back? I had acupuncture post LTHR due to aggravated back issues. It did help - but it's a bit hard on the wallet.
 
Day 15, October 14, 2014, Tuesday.....

Just two weeks ago today at this time I was being prepped for my surgery.... Seems like the days go by so fast... kind of roll by. I went to see my Dr's Assistant yesterday to check up on my incision, and ask questions. I left the office a little let down as I found out my lump what I called "inflammation" under incision is actually a hematoma. A pool of blood that has not dissolved properly. Not a big one, but, still a concern. Probably from several things including not resting enough... I really have been trying to lay with legs elevated and ice for most of the day, but, I have things to do and I do them first. It is just me. Hubby is not overly good at seeing things that need to be done. He tries.... but.... most of you women know what I mean I am sure! If I had another ME that was my nurse.... yes a clone of me... that would be the perfect scenario!:rofsign:

So, I am suppose to rest more the rest of the week, hope this hematoma goes down. They can aspirate it with a needle, but, that also can allow germs to get into the closed wound, leading to infection and it is not a sure fix as space left by the aspiration can refill and often does. If the hematoma just sits there... and does not go away... there is still chance for infection from the stagnant blood in the pocket..... so, I just pray :beg:that my body starts to break down this blood pool, and the swelling goes down.

I feel a bit depressed about the news,:boohoo: as, I really thought I was doing so good and feeling great. I go see my Surgeon on Oct. 28th for my first Post OP... if there is no change by then with is issue( Lord, I hope it is gone by that time!) I guess we will go from there, whatever that next step is.:what: I also start PT next Monday... not sure if doing that with a hematoma is a good idea? Maybe Josephine could fill me in on what she knows? Can I do a call out to her somehow? @Josephine

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do... if you experienced a hematoma like me share your story... good or bad as I want to be informed and face this head on. Now I guess I am going to go back to bed and rest as per Drs orders...... Thanks for listening to all my whining..... Talk to you all soon! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @gazelle7777 - Don't beat yourself up over this...it might just correct itself...just rest and elevate the whole leg above your heart...take care and don't get so stressed out about it.
 
@gazelle7777
I will say a prayer that your hematoma goes down & no further intervention is
Needed. :angel:I will also tag @Josephine for you :) Josephine, Could you Please
Help Joan with her Question ? Thank You.
Hang in there & don't get discouraged.
Thinking of You :friends:
Diana :loveshwr: :puppysmooze:
 
@gazelle7777 just a little bump (no pun intended) in the recovery road my friend. Do what your doc says and let the chores go. No one will die if there is dust!

Not sure I would do any PT given your situation but let's see what Jo says.
 
I found out my lump what I called "inflammation" under incision is actually a hematoma.
A haematoma is no big deal unless it's HUGE! Small ones happen all the time. They usually occur because a small blood vessel that was cut during surgery has decided to pop the blood clot off hand have a little ooze. Usually what happens is that the blood quickly becomes organised (clotted) and then turns into fibrous material and then gets absorbed by the body. So please don't worry about it. It's something and nothing, really.
 
Hi there, just catching up on your thread, overall it seems you are really doing quite well and I do hope this hematoma clears itself up without any further intervention. I agree with Jaycey that Jo's post is a stress reliever there. Take it easy with PT!
 
Day 16, October 17, 1014

Good Morning to all my Bone Smart friends-- Jaycee and CarrieMay thanks so much for your input. Feeling quite well today. Limited discomfort, using just one crutch, but, much of the time nothing. I notice without the crutch I limp, with the crutch I do not. So I am not sure when the time is to stop with the crutch. Will ask that at PT. The cane bothers my wrist more as I have arthritis in both wrists, thus, I prefer the crutch.

I have cut down on my pain meds to one 5 mg Oxycodone every 6 hours instead of every 4 hours... and two 500 mg Tylenol every 12 hours. I feel fine on the lesser dose. Not sure when I will make the jump to cutting out the oxycodone. Perhaps just take it prior to PT and at bedtime here in a week or so.

Thank-you Josephine for the information! I got a call back from My Doctors PA and she pretty much mirrored what you said.....To just go to Pt. I asked about my concerns of all the activity causing more bleeding and such with the hematoma. She said it should not be an issue. So I am on for starting PT Monday. After going through all the rigorous PT with my BTKR, I am not sure what the protocol is for a hip. I am not In the pain I had with the knee replacement PT.. all the bending and stretching to get ROM was very painful. I will ask my PT person first off what is our goal in the coming days of PT. What is the focus for me to achieve?

Really not much more going on. My goose egg hematoma is still about the same, not bigger, not smaller. No pain from it. It just feels odd to have this lump on my hip that is not suppose to be there. I have a feeling it is going to be a long slow process for this to go away. Oh well, I guess time is on my side!

Best to everyone. Hope everyone is feeling good on the healing path. Talk again soon! Joan:SUNsmile:




 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I am not sure when the time is to stop with the crutch.
Use it until you are not limping anymore. And don't let PT tell you that you should be off it now. When you start leaving that crutch behind is the time to transition.

Careful about cutting down those meds pre-PT. You may need them to gain mobility.

PT for hips is marching, leg raises (front and side), maybe stationary bike and/or treadmill. A good PT will work on your gait with you and balance too if that's an issue. It should not be rigorous and if they ask you to do clam shells - don't! We see so many new hippies here in pain due to trying to do this exercise too early in their recovery. Please take it very easy. Walking is really the best exercise for new hips.
 
Day 19.. OCTOBER 20, 2014, MONDAY.

A new week! New challenges, new perspectives, Onward!:egypdance:

This afternoon, I go to my first Physical Therapy session. It will be more of finding out exactly what this Physical therapy is going to do. I do have questions for my Therapist( who is the same person I had used when I had BTKR on June 4, 2013.)


* I really do not know if I need Pt with this hip?? I am on three weeks since surgery and feel just fine. I walk unassisted now = no crutch or cane needed. I have no pai, slight limp, I can put my socks on now and my ability to do this gets better each day. So my question for my therapist is: What is the goal of this PT? She is the professional and I am sure she knows and sees what I do not.

* I do not want to do any exercises that cause my OTHER hip to suffer. I know what my right hip wants to do and can not do without stressing it out. I would like to be able to baby the right hip for awhile and not have to replace it sooner than necessary. I worry that the exercises to work the new left replaced hip, will stress out my right arthritic hip and I will end up in pain. I have pretty much no pain at this time with my arthritic hip. I can deal with limited mobility and do not plan on EVER doing yoga poses or the splits. If doing PT to strengthen my new hip causes injury to my right OA hip, I will decline doing PT. I can live with the new hip as it is today. I feel better than before my surgery, have better movement and bend without any pain. My goal is really just to take gentle walks and maybe rake leaves. That is my level of needed activity. I am not athletic nor doing yoga.

I will report back tomorrow morning about how my first PT session goes. The question I have is... do some people not go to PT? My doctor has me going three times a week for 4 weeks.... Seems excessive to me. With my knee replacement it was necessary... but with this hip, I just do not see how that much PT is going to make such a huge difference if I am walking just fine at three weeks with no PT??

Hello to Jaycey, CarrieMay, Dianna (my knee buddy), toohip, and all my other bonesmart buddies in crime. Update on my Hematoma on incision... it is still there, not bigger but not a lot smaller... no discomfort or pain from it. Just a bump that should not be there. Hope it goes away finally! I am taking 5mg of Oxycodone every 6 hours with two Tylenol every 8 hours. Probably could cut this down more here with the oycodone in the coming week. I think my pain is pretty minimal now... curious to see how it is with just Tylenol.

Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The question I have is... do some people not go to PT?
In the UK hip patients are usually not referred to PT. After my LTHR I requested PT due to on-going back issues that flared up. Frankly, I can't see the need either and have declined PT with this hip. They did invite me to a "knee and hip" class but since PT for hips is different than knee I couldn't see how I would benefit!
three times a week for 4 weeks
Sounds more like boot camp than PT! Hope you don't get sore!

I'll be anxious to see your update tomorrow!
 
@gazelle7777 I am not very qualified to comment on the option of skipping PT because for me it is an absolute necessity. However, based on all the reading I have done here and on other websites I would not be going to formal PT if I had your comfort level and was confident in my walk and mobility. My ultimate goal is to hire a full-time maid again :heehee: so I only have to stand log enough to enjoy my cooking again. In all seriousness, my biggest goal is to be able to enjoy the park again with my grandchildren, climbing the slides and going down the slide with them and walk the breast cancer walks in honor of loves one that I have lost. I would like to enjoy travelling but that will not include bungi jumping or zip lining. :loveshwr:
 
@gazelle7777
As with your knees, you know what is best for your body :) You always did :heehee:
If you think 3 times a week is too much, you are probably right.
Perhaps, you could come to a happy medium ?
All my Love,
Diana :friends: :loveshwr: :puppysmooze:
 
Joan,

I am serious when I say this. Be blessed that you're going to PT. Use next couple of weeks as your motivation to get in best shape of your life. Remember pain is weakness leaving your body. There was a mixed up in OT therapy today. They had me reschedule for thursday. Use it as motivation to build the muscles. Also remember PT are professionals and it will be beneficial.
 
Remember pain is weakness leaving your body.

Not quite true here. When you are recovering from THR, pain is your body's way of reminding you not to try to do too much too soon and to remember to take your pain meds as needed.

That old "no pain, no gain" attitude doesn't have a place in recovery from a major surgical procedure like THR. Physical therapy for joint replacement should never, ever be pushed to the point of pain. Your hip doesn't need rigorous athletic training now. It needs to heal from the trauma of surgery. There is plenty of time for training later.



Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Alex is so spot on! Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
You know what I meant. Show up to all your PT session and continue doing the exercises. Don't go Gi Jane. Do all the exercises under their supervision.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom