THR Gazelle's A-Z - Anterior Hip Replacement Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gazelle7777

My PT emails me my new list every week! Would that work for you? As for the bike, when you decide to go down that venue remember to start with a small amount of time.....not an all out spin class. You need to build up to an hour class and it won't take long! Good luck

Cheryl
 
SUNDAY OCTOBER 25, 2014.... Day 26 since surgery

Good Morning my BoneSmart friends! It is a stormy windy day here in Seattle Wa. May have lights going out this evening with some 50 mile an hour winds tonight. I better check the ol' flashlights and battery life... start preparing for winter!

Pt went well yesterday( Friday).. more stretching moves and deep muscle massage by my therapist. We decided to go with PT just twice a week rather than three times a week as I am doing well. My hematoma bump is way smaller( YEA!) and I am feeling stronger everyday! I even raked leaves out in the front yard yesterday with no pain or discomfort. It just felt natural. I am now working down to stopping the Oxycodone... doing just one 5mg every 8 hours, with two Tylenol. I am just about out, so the next couple of days I will be off of the Oxycodone totally. I probably could have just stopped it all together, but, figured the slow but sure cutting back would be less stressful on my body so I would have no side effects quitting it.

Craftdee when did you have your surgery? I did not see it on your signature. You sound like you are also doing very well! I look forward to resuming my dog walks as well weather permitting now that the rainy season is here. Thank-you everyone for all the Birthday well wishes! It was a quiet Birthday, I just gave many thanks for all the good in my life. My husband and dear Lola my Golden retriever. I can not seem to upload a picture of her as my pictures seem to be too large to post and I am not a computer expert to be able to fix that... Oh well...

Next week I go see my Surgeon for my first Post OP. They take X-rays of the new hip. I want to ask when I can take a hot bath...:bath: I usually( when not post surgery) take one about every other day with Epsom salts normally to help my poor aching body. See what he says.. he may want me to wait until the six week mark in two weeks from now. I will do whatever he says. With that appointment, my two PT appointments and a hair cut appointment I will be busy next week!.

Will update after my Post Op appointment on Wednesday next week. Let you know what he says. Until then stay safe my friends:friends: Joan:SUNsmile:
 
@CanukTriMom are you offering to post the emailed exercises on my thread? Or how would I get them? That would be wonderful if you could do that. I am sure it would help other people as well who might follow this thread. Yes, it has been a month since I have done much of anything.... I need to start slow. Normally I would bike inside for an hour watching TV. I will start with 20 minutes and just gradually add time. Actually.... I have enjoyed being VERY LAZY this past month... shame on me for that:bignono:. Take care! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
@gazelle7777

Unfortunately I did not explain myself very well. What I meant was ask your PT to email you the Physio exercises, if it would work for you.

As each case is different, I cannot post my exercises and I am not a PT. Not to mention Jacey would kick me off the website for violating the rules!

Cheryl
 
oh, I see! Blame my brain on the oxycodone... LOL.... :heehee:
 
October 30, 2014..... DAY 31 since surgery

Yesterday I went to my first Post Op visit (4 weeks) to see my surgeon. I saw pictures of my new hip, and he said everything was going very well! I can start to take my hot Epson salt baths TODAY!!!!!:bath: OMG! I can hardly wait! I thought it was not for 6 weeks... but, he seemed to feel fine with my taking a bath now. The hematoma is way way down now. My scar is a bit hard and bumpy but my surgeon said that would improve in time. It really is hard to believe it has only been 4 weeks since surgery and I am doing so well. I can put my socks on more like a normal person... The sharp pain I use to feel when bending or turning is gone... Everyday I notice something new. My right hip will need replacement someday. Hopefully I can go a couple of years before doing that hip.

Going to start my dog walks today. I really have not started up with my walking program yet, and now feel it is time. I am off of the Oxycodone since Sunday last. So other than the occasional Tylenol if I am feeling discomfort, I am drug free.

Not sleeping very well lately... maybe coming off the pain killers and my body adjusting to all the trauma inflicted upon it the last month. I have been getting up at 3AM... a bit early. Makes for a long day! Hoping that will improve here in the next few weeks when I start to exercise more and get more fresh air again. Hope a deeper sleep pattern will return.

I do not go back to see my surgeon again until this coming summer. He said to we will just combine my Two year post op for my Bilateral knee replacement ( that would be in June) with my 2nd post op for my left hip. Just skip the three month post op for the hip. He said I was doing well enough not to need to come sooner for the hip. One visit, makes it easy. I agree with this!

Hope all my bone smart buddies are doing well! Will report in again soon. Happy Halloween to all!

Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gazelle7777 , great update my hippie twin! I too am noticing changes and new abilities everyday! Enjoy your bath! :bath:
 
@gazelle7777
So Happy your Hematoma went down :) Raking Leaves & off heavy duty pain Meds :egypdance:
Great 1 month up-date :yes!:
I think of you Often :friends:& am Happy to see you are going forward.
Here's a puppy hug for LOLA :puppysmooze: & here's a hug for you :friends:
All my Love,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
So nice to hear your progress. Gives us behind you hope. So happy all is going well.
 
Great news to hear you are doing so well! Happy post Halloween to you as well! Damn the person who invented those mini chocolate bars though......too tempting to resist.

Cheryl
 
November 1, 2014...... Day 32 since surgery

@new knee in June Hello! Thank-you for the continuing support! Lola is doing wonderfully, we went on our first REAL dog walk Thursday and she was happy Mom was back to her ol' self again! Onward to November! @JayceyM( you are a Queen in my book!) -- The bath was WONDERFUL BEYOND WORDS ......@xtina16405 and @CanukTriMom.... I have a ton of Halloween candy left over... only 3 trick or treaters this year... Yes I said 3 !!! Thanks for the nice words of encouragement from everyone!! Hope of you are well and on your journey heading towards healing!

PT went well yesterday. Therapist was kind enough to deep massage my upper spine/ neck area to help elevate some the pain I have in my shoulders and arms... my next issue to address I guess:oyvey:. Probably more arthritis as I have it in my lower spine as well. I just take each issue at a time and try to stay positive. Take care of myself best I can. This body is all I got and I need to give it the attention it is asking for to stay mobile and active.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
@gazelle7777 , I found with both my THRs, back issues tend to crop up as your pelvis balances back and your body adjust to a more even gait. Heat or ice and a good massage from PT or in my case an osteopath really did help. We are getting there my hippie twin!
 
NOVEMBER 11, 2014
DAY 42 since surgery....

Greetings BoneSmart friends. Just an update. I had my last Physical Therapy session yesterday... for my hip. I was scheduled for one more visit, but, decided it really was not necessary. So unless something comes up, I am free and clear to get back to my life... until my combined post op visit next September for my two year knee replacement and my one year hip replacement. Dr. said to just combine them. He did not feel it necessary to see me again for hip until my one year Post Op visit... good news!

As far as my joint replacements everything is good.. my next challenge is going to be my upper back and shoulders which are giving me trouble. Can not sleep at night from the pain and stiffness..... Go see my internist and get the definitive reason for my pain... then hopefully some PT down the road for my back issues... will help ease my pain from this issue so I can go on to enjoy my new joints! Goodness having arthritis though out my body is such a challenge... but one that I plan to face head on.:thumb:

Hope everyone has wonderful Holidays! Best Wishes to all! Joan:SUNsmile:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Gazelle's A-Z - Anterior Hip Replacement Recovery Thread
    bicyclesmi[1].gif
    40.2 KB · Views: 201
@gazelle7777
Congratulations for being done with P.T :yay: My husband has Arthritis all through
His body. He has had a hip & a shoulder replaced. He says no more Surgery. He works on
Cement floors in a school. Because of Cardiomyopathy his G.P will not prescribe him anything.
He takes Aleve. He is in pain everyday, like you he soldiers on....I hope you neck & shoulders
Feel better soon :)
Thinking of you :friends:
Hugs for LOLA :puppysmooze:
Love Always,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@new knee in June... Hugs to you and your family! Hope the Holidays bring you much joy this Season. Thanks for being such a great friend and encouragement to me throughout the past year and months. Lola sends that sweet Kody puppy love! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Goodness having arthritis though out my body is such a challenge... but one that I plan to face head on.:thumb:
Yup - it's a challenge alright. But you'll make it! I have chronic back pain but once the hip is done healing things settle. It's all about learning tricks to keep yourself comfortable and active.
 
@gazelle7777

So happy for you that you are now done with PT. Wishing you and your husband a pain-free and fun-filled 2015!!! How are your leg lengths? I've read passingly that you had some concerns earlier on about the leg length differential but you were still too new post-op to know if there was a problem or not. How are your leg lengths now post THR?

I will keep thinking warm healing thoughts toward your back and neck and over your whole being. Hugs!
 
@Wellness in Virginia: Thanks for posting and sending such nice thoughts my way. My leg length issues are not an issue at all. Everything seems fine! My doc seemed to have gotten it right. He is the best!
I just finished a month of PT for my neck shoulder and upper back issues...:banghead: X-rays show arthritis in my upper spine... :headbang: . So that is the issue I am now addressing. Sleep at night is my hardest issue as it hurts to lay flat... just trying to keep flexible and able to reach and put on a jacket is a struggle... PT has given me tools to stay stronger and forge ahead.... We need to just stay strong and see each challenge as just another hill to climb. I think that is what aging is... keep moving.... never give up and stay strong! Happy New Year to you and blessings to you! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
@gazelle7777 Dearest Joan, thank you for your words of wisdom above on how to stray strong and forge ahead as we age. I will keep reminding myself of your advice. You are an inspiration to me, and I am sure, to many others on here as well, as you continue to maintain such a sunny outlook. Have as lovely a day as you can!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom