THR Gazelle's A-Z - Anterior Hip Replacement Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know what you meant and I disagree. Going to PT is not important. Doing exercises is not important. Many people recover quite well without doing either. Recovery from THR is about time and patience. PT exercises will not speed up your recovery. They certainly can slow it down though if you try to do too much and let your physical therapist push you too hard.

It sounds like Joan is doing great without PT anyway. She has a lot of experience recovering from surgery. If she doesn't feel like doing PT, I'm sure she'll continue doing just as well on her own.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:SUNsmile: Day 20 since surgery....October 21, 2014, Tuesday,

hi Jaycee! Hi Alexthecat!

Well, had my first visit to hip PT yesterday. We did about 6 different stretching exercises... I have a lot of tightness in both the new hip and the old from years of NOT using muscles. I could feel the discomfort on some moves, but , not pain. This morning I could feel the places that I worked yesterday. No pain, just stiff. I hope that working these unused muscles will in time give me more normal movement... perhaps helping my back and overall structure and gait..... we will see. I am going to give it a go. I think I went into this PT a bit negative.. and I need to stop that and try to look at it as helping my recovery in a positive way. Go a few times and see if this is worth my time and expense for a better outcome.

One problem I have is that we did about 6 different exercises and I can not remember exactly what we did or how I was suppose to do them as I am suppose to do them on my own today here at home. Tomorrow She is going to ask me if I did them... and I either have to tell a white lie and say yes... or tell her the truth that I could not remember how to do 99% of them..... I feel like a bad student.... :bignono:

Rainy stormy weather here this week in Seattle... really feels like fall! Update again after tomorrows PT. Joan:SUNsmile:
 
Glad your PT was a good experience. Yes, good PT can help you get those muscles moving again.

You might ask your PT to write down the exercises. They may already have a print out. Or they can use just stick figure drawings to remind you of the moves and how many you are supposed to be doing on your own.
I feel like a bad student
You are not a bad student. It takes a lot of concentration when you first start doing PT.

Horrid weather here as well. We are getting the winds from hurricane Gonzalo! Hope it blows over soon!
 
It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed last PT session. From talking from my own experience because of hip pain. I probably couldn't do majority of exercises because of stiffness. The stiffness has gone away. I have the worst home therapy ever. I am basically walking normal, I am doing all the exercises she has shown me. She won't clear me yet until her 2 week visit expires. Lady, just wants her paycheck.

In regards to all the exercises. Ask for a printout copy. I am surprised they didn't give you a copy. Ask for a copy next time. The whole purpose of PT is to help you enjoy quality of life. They are professional. Enjoy your hip.
 
You might ask your PT to write down the exercises. They may already have a print out. Or they can use just stick figure drawings to remind you of the moves and how many you are supposed to be doing on your own.
You are not a bad student. It takes a lot of concentration when you first start doing PT.


JayCey.. she did draw pictures....HORRIBLE STICK scribble figures written down at the last momment that I can not translate to what I need to do today...:scratch:

I told her yesterday that I would have a hard time understanding what was written down by today when I looked at the drawings.... I do not think it is my fault that the instructions are hard to decipher? The hospital sent me home with very good instructions with good clear drawings showing you how to do the exercises they wanted you do do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just be honest that you didn't do the exercises because you couldn't remember how and the stick figures were not helpful. You're not a bad student. You're a paying customer and she works for you. Just explain that you need clearer instructions. Maybe you can show her the sheets from the hospital to give her an idea of what you need.

I'll tell you something though. I started outpatient PT one week after my THR and "graduated" six weeks later. I never did much exercising outside of PT. If you're going to PT three times per week, it's not a bad idea to rest on the days between sessions.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
We have minimum PT whilst in hospital here in OZ and then left to our own devices. It is not usually covered in our private health insurance. I walked, gently and slowly and really after the rough recovery start I was encouraged to rest more - it has certainly paid dividends for me... Each and every recovery is different. What works for one doesn't work for someone else... Remember it is your recovery journey is important!
 
I wonder if some of the stretches or exercises can be looked up online. I know when I had the pre-op pain I bought a foam roller and they had some great exercises with the foam roller that was great in helping stretch the hip.

Online is Just a thought until you get back to PT and she can do a better job than stick figures.

Glad it is helping with stiffness. I can't wait to start stretching. Great news.
 
I was given broken link removed: https://www.eoc.nhs.uk/hip-replacement-dvd.html with all my pre and post op information on it including progressive exercises (exercises are in the last part). However stretches and exercises are based on your own situation and the surgical approach used. As Jo always says, walking is the best exercise for new hips.
 
Hi @gazelle7777 If you just can't remember some of the exercises (and feel they're important) AND you have a smart phone, maybe you could record them, or the basics of them? I know Physios are doing this same thing twenty times a week so they tend to just trot the instructions out, you can point out to yours that these are new to YOU... though by the sound of it I'm not sure yours is that open to suggestion:gaah:
 
DAY 24, October 23, 2014

Morning Craftdee and Jaycey, all my Bone Smart friends!! My PT went well yesterday.. she did a lot of stretching moves that I could not do on my own. I feel fine this morning... I can tell I did new moves, I can feel "IT" but, in a good way... no pain or discomfort. She does a lot of hand manipulation pushes and such that directly involve the loosing the tight muscles around the new joint. My other hip is doing just fine as well... no new discomforts dealing with the new bionic hip. I think so far this PT is going to be very positive for my recovery.

She also said that I can start using the bike inside:upright:, and walking outside!:walking:~ I am ready. I feel it. Just will not overdo it... start slow and build up. My sweet Golden will enjoy that walk!:dogwalk:( I hope slower than this! LOL!)

I do wish I had some sort of DVD, Jaycey... I am going to go online to look up some videos on exercises for a new hip.

I turn 59 tomorrow, October 24th. I do not celebrate my BD, but, see my new hip as the best present I could ever receive!:happydance: I suppose I am almost a bionic woman now....just shy one hip:rofsign:

Have a wonderful day everyone! Joan :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @gazelle7777 , sounds like you are moving on to a new phase in your recovery. Well done!
I do wish I had some sort of DVD
If you click on the link I left in my post above it takes you to an on-line version of the DVD I was given. The post op exercises are at the end of the hip replacement video. Enjoy your walk - slow and steady!
 
@gazelle7777 You are moving forward wonderfully. Slow & steady wins this race! Have a very happy birthday celebrating your new hip ~ an outside walk will the best party ever!
 
I know you said you didn't celebrate your birthday @gazelle7777 ... but Hip Hip Hooray.... Hippy Birthday and all those other corny puns! :martini: Enjoy your "best present ever"
So glad your PT went well, still getting around to organizing mine. I'm doing so much walking, and general moving around I'm not sure how much I really need it; I would like to have some movements checked though, and the hand manipulation sounds good too. I hope it's okay if I click on the link to the exercises @Jaycey... it sounds good - and I'm nosy!
I've been on a couple of walks with the dog... though hubby takes the dog:eyebrows: He's a Jack Russel but would have to be the laziest Jack Russel EVER! Here's a pic of him refusing to go on a walk, a fairly regular occurrence, lol. Our last Jackie was a maniac from the day we got him til the day he died, at 15 years 3 months and 3 days
Enjoy your day
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Gazelle's A-Z - Anterior Hip Replacement Recovery Thread
    photo (2).jpg
    14 KB · Views: 238
@craftdee of course you can follow the link. The video is fairly long but the exercises are near the end. It's just the basic stuff post op to gain mobility.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom