Gathering Myself Together for BTKR November 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads Hope your pre-op goes well tomorrow.

I had mine over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything so am presuming all is OK. I have to go back on the 20th for an additional blood test for a the Blood Transfusion service as they like two tests four weeks apart just in case I need some blood.

My cryo cuff arrived today - seems to be not much for something that cost over £100 but that's the way things are. I have a stool for the shower and a support to help me off the loo and some gel packs too. I am going to give the toilet riser a miss. Mr P has just gone off to do the shopping and is buying prunes in!

I was interested to see your son lives in China. We went there last year. It is a fascinating country and changing so very fast. Where does he live? I'd always wanted to go there and since going have read lots about the country and its history. Don't expect we will get there again but I really liked the Chinese people so friendly and full of good humour. We had a whirlwind tour and really felt like we needed a rest when we got back. But just an amazing experience.

I'll be with you in spirit tomorrow

Mary x
 
@Threads Soup is perfect in the winter.......and for recovery. Yum. How do you make your squash soup? Soups perfect. A friend posted a link to 10 soup recipes on Facebook yesterday, and they all look great. I'm going to make 1-2 a week. With trying to start eating healthier, the soup recipes look perfect, as they are all filled with veggies and lean protein.

Your recovery "nest" at home sounds like it will be perfect. And, it's great that you can borrow all that equipment. You are set and ready to go!! I know you will be so glad to join us on the other side!!!! :)
 
@Nana moon 27 - don't give me too much credit! I knew at the end of January that I would have surgery this year. I gave my OS's scheduler a "best before date" and a "put back in the running date" so I could do the things I love to do over the summer and fall. Workshops and a weaving retreat, visiting family and friends, etc. In August I phoned his office just to make sure that I wasn't forgotten for scheduling sometime after November 1st, and she gave me a surgical date that very day!! I found BoneSmart in March and was reading like crazy until I knew that I would get my summer and fall. So, technically I've had 9 months to get ready. Hummmm - I haven't dealt with that time for prep for a long, long time. Maybe there is a correlation!!! However, I will take the vote of confidence - I need that ;-)
 
Hi @Threads

Wow you've had a really busy summer. Good for you. Once you have this knee done you'll go back and do it all with ease.

Mine is getting so good now. I upset it last night but it seems ok. Pheeeew!!!

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Good morning, @SuperSnapper! At least it is here...... I was starting to get antsy because I hadn't heard from the hospital.

Darn - my iPad just froze and I lost most of my post to you - I'll try again. I hesitated about buying the ice machine because of the $$ but everything I read here, and I'm sure you did too, pointed in that direction. I needed to get a Y join and another pad so I could do both knees which added to the cost. I've been told to bring it along when I check in to Admitting so I think we'll both be happy we made the decision to get one.

China - our son has lived there for about 20 years, so when I retired - hubby retired ahead of me - we spent 5 weeks in China. Mostly travelling with him or on our own. When we booked a hotel for a new city, we would request an English speaking guide. Mostly, they were very good. Home base was Shanghai but we went from there to Guilin and the Li River; Hong Kong; Yunnan Province (for the minorities and their textiles) and Kunming, Dali and LiJang; Xian; Beijing as well as some of the beautiful cities not far from Shanghai. It's a magical country, a nice place to visit but I'm happy in our beautiful corner of the world. I was on a puffer within 24 hours of arriving in Shanghai because of the pollution!
 
@Threads. The pollution was awful, I agree. We did a Yangtze River Cruise and for two days it was so foggy we didn't move at all! In Shanghai the air had a metallic taste too. But I am envious you went to the Li River. We missed that.

Hope you here from the hospital soon. I nearly wrote 'the hossy ' cos that's what my Son in law from Liverpool calls it!
 
Hi @ljrfrm! The soup - welllllll - I had some squash in the basement that had been given to us. I know it doesn't last forever so I decided to make soup. I didn't know what was going to go into it until it was finished :)

I roasted the squash and then sautéed lots of onions and garlic. I added the cooked squash and then decided to throw in some dehydrated apples left over from last year, some veggie stock and my favourite herbs. After pureeing it, it still lacked something so I grated a bunch of ginger and tossed it in. I thinned it with almond milk as I'm non dairy at the moment. Tastes good and we have some stashed in the freezer for when I get home!

I get my protein in a piece of goat or sheep's cheese that I have with it.

Right now - the other side seems so close but yet - so far.........
 
@Threads ---my recovery from my BTKR was tougher than I would have liked it to be, and longer , too, but it was so very much worth it!

After you are fully recovered, you will have your entire life back---no having one surgery, recovering, waiting to get the next surgery, and recovering---you get it done in one fell swoop.

In looking back, the recovery did have its challenges, but I would do the same thing all over again.
 
@ljrfrm and @referee54 Oh boy, oh boy a party with everyone secretly handshaking. I would imagine cloaks would be necessary for preventing the uninitiated discovering our secret. I can see a gathering people in many coloured cloaks sashaying around to music on their fancy new knees. I'm in - just give me a few weeks or so!
 
Well your surgery date is getting closer. Hope you have had time at your loom. I have been weaving away at a 4.5 yard warp and would have had it woven off but had our granddaughter with us for several days. One forgets how much energy a two year old can have.

I have started to plan for my hopefully December surgery. You will be well on the road to recovery by the time I have mine. I have visions of warps and rovings dancing in my head, I am putting together a tote full of fiber projects to keep close at hand.

Hope that your plans are falling into place.

Cindy
 
@referee54 - thanks for the perspective on BTKR. I don't know how I would manage without the group on Bonesmart. I've yet to meet anyone who has had this surgery so I've learned the challenges and eventual rewards from the good folks here. I'm going into this adventure with some knowledge behind me and that means a lot. Thank you, in particular, and all the other moderators for giving so generously of your time to help others in all corners of the English speaking world on their personal journey.
 
Hi @fiberlady - good to hear from you! I've finished the cashmere scarf that was on my small loom and am halfway through the silk scarf on my Louet David. I've been distracted in trying to get loose ends tied up. My pre-op appointment is tomorrow morning and I have everything in piles in the guest room for Doug to bring in where and when I need it. I have a bunch of cotton sitting on my desk waiting to be wound into a warp and put on my small table loom. My socks are almost finished, just need to cast-off, then I've got my happy feet socks ready to keep my feet warm. It's nice to see UFOs getting finished!

Today was a fun day with a group I meet with once a month. We've started a Shibori project, giving me handwork to do during recovery. When I'm stronger, then we'll get an indigo vat going. Fun!!!

The time will fly for you - it has for me. I can't believe that a week from now will day 1 post surgery.
 
Good luck with your preop @Threads! I hope all goes well for you xxx

Hi @ljrfrm is there any chance you could copy and paste the link for the soups please. I used to make a lot. It would be nice to use different recipes? Thank you x

Have a great day x loving reading about your fibres and weaving. X

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Nana moon 27 Here it is. Hopefully it will come through ok. I know some sites don't allow you to post outside links. Not sure about BS? If I can't, sorry and feel free to take this down.

I think some of them look delicious and look forward to trying them. broken link removed: https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/seasonal/soup-recipes
 
@ljrfrm and @referee54 Oh boy, oh boy a party with everyone secretly handshaking. I would imagine cloaks would be necessary for preventing the uninitiated discovering our secret. I can see a gathering people in many coloured cloaks sashaying around to music on their fancy new knees. I'm in - just give me a few weeks or so!
No worries, we scheduled the convention around your surgery so you will be sashaying right there with us!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom