Gathering Myself Together for BTKR November 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for asking for the link to the soups @Nana moon 27 and thanks for sharing @ljrfrm! I've been eating nightshade free for 3 years, to cut down on inflammation, and the cauliflower soup sounds heavenly.
 
I know this may sound odd, but my son is a linebacker and I asked him to bring back some of his cotton shorts that are big and baggy with a drawstring for my upcoming surgery, just in case I don't like the feel of anything on my knee. I also bought yoga pants at Kohl's
 
I know this may sound odd, but my son is a linebacker and I asked him to bring back some of his cotton shorts that are big and baggy with a drawstring for my upcoming surgery, just in case I don't like the feel of anything on my knee. I also bought yoga pants at Kohl's
:goodpost:I agree---being comfortable is much more important than going in for style points!
 
I'm with you all on that for comfort xxx style goes out the window for a while xxx it doesn't hurt to have a break. My skins better for less products, hairs better less straightening and save a fortune in laundry, not having to find different outfits each day for work. I'm going to struggle when I go back eventually xxx
 
In the early days of recovery, I was on Oxycontin,, and the world, to me, was a giant cotton ball, so I really had no care about what I was wearing as long as I was comfortable! I was pretty much zonked, so style ws not even thought about!
 
Thanks for asking for the link to the soups @Nana moon 27 and thanks for sharing @ljrfrm! I've been eating nightshade free for 3 years, to cut down on inflammation, and the cauliflower soup sounds heavenly.
The cauliflower soup was one of the ones that I was eyeing to give a try soon!

On a different note: I have lived in my baggy sweats and yoga pants and t-shirts for three months. I am actually dressed today, with a pair of jeans and a sweater. I don't think I like it - I'm too used to being baggy and comfortable. Too bad I can't wear baggy sweats to work next week :)
 
Well - Pre-Op done and gone. I had an appointment for 8:45 assuming that it would give me lots of time (they said about an hour) to get to my hair appt. in a neighbouring town by noon. The nurse was helpful and told us what we wanted to hear, that I wouldn't be released from hospital until I was ready to handle our set-up at home or there was a bed in the rehab hospital. We also found out that I wouldn't have to climb into our VW Westphalia to be transferred to a rehab facility. They would get me there with an inter hospital service. I'll find out my surgery time on Monday because November 11th is a holiday in our province.

Next was a really nice anaesthetist. He wanted to know how much I wanted to be aware of what was going on! I said not at all, nada, no info - wake me when it's over. So we've opted for a spinal and a general. The light stuff doesn't do a thing for me and I've watched every colonoscopy I've had while my DH slept through his. I asked about the PCA for after surgery and that seems to be standard for the first few days, so I'll be able to control my own pain meds.

Things were moving along tickety-boo until I hit my normal nemesis - they wanted blood and every vein in my body runs and hides at the slightest hint of that about to happen. That's where the one hour appointment spiralled out of control. She eventually was able to coax a vein in my hand to be somewhat generous and about 8 vials were slowly filled.

The nurse had mentioned something about my X-Rays being more than 6 months old, so I asked about that before I left. Sure enough, I needed new ones. So hair appt. was changed and that X-Rays got done. The one hour appointment took 3 1/2 hours.

However, I'm now home with everything done - fuzzy hair and all. Also, my hairdresser has been saving magazines for me and I have two piles to go through and choose the ones I want to take with me to the hospital. The rest can just be given to the hospital for circulation! I thought that was so sweet of her.

That's it - time to relax!
 
Wheeeww @Threads,

I'm worn out just reading your post. WTG with your energy levels. Well done you xx your hairdresser is very kind xxx gosh your day seemed so busy xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
It was quite a day @Nana moon 27! I'm now lying down typing this post on my iPad. I didn't mention that we stopped at the rec centre to suspend our annual pool membership for the time being, to be re activated when I can get into the pool. We also voted in the Advance Pole for our Civic Election. I think I deserve to take tonight off!

All that stuff is over now and I can concentrate on finishing weaving a scarf and doing the things I love to do for the next 4 days!! Yeah! Wish I could share some of the magazines with you - I've got more than I'll ever read.
 
Next was a really nice anaesthetist. He wanted to know how much I wanted to be aware of what was going on! I said not at all, nada, no info - wake me when it's over. So we've opted for a spinal and a general. The light stuff doesn't do a thing for me and I've watched every colonoscopy I've had while my DH slept through his. I asked about the PCA for after surgery and that seems to be standard for the first few days, so I'll be able to control my own pain meds.
I have had several friends go through knee surgery ( and one TKR) while they were awake!

I share your sentiments---knock me out and wake me up when it is all over.

That PCA is an awesome thing to have after surgery, too:thumb::thumb:
 
Wow! What a day for you but it's great to tick those things off the list! So glad your pre op went well. The PCA sounds good but they don't use them so much here apparently. :nah:Anyway now you can use your time getting other things sorted so you feel calm next week.
It's cold and rainy here today which is abit sad as there are loads of public bonfires and fireworks parties planned. My family are all going tonight but I'm staying in the warm.
Have a good day
Mary x
 
@Threads Pre-op done!! That's one step closer to surgery being done :) I'm glad it all went well, but sorry you missed your hair appointment!! I wanted to be knocked out for my surgery as well......it's the best way to go :)
 
@ljrfrm - I didn't miss my appointment, just changed the time. My wonderful hairdresser moved someone up into my slot (luckily it was a friend of hers who was happy to move) and I got my hair done 2 hours after I should have done. I sit here with my head full of newly permed curls (instead of baby fine, straight, thin hair that needs a lot of product and attention to do anything but lie flat looking dead). She also saved me a huge pile of magazines, like O magazine, which I never buy but enjoy reading in bits and bites.

Yeah for bring totally out during the surgery! A friend woke up during her hip and found it interesting - but she's a nurse. Her experience made me want to make sure that didn't happen to me.
 
@Threads Glad you still got those curls. I thought you had to reschedule for another day - guess I read it too fast :)

I'll never forget my first arthroscopic knee surgery (I was in high school). I had a spinal and I was awake, and I remember looking into the doctor's glasses at the reflection of my surgery. I also remember crying through most of the surgery. I thought I was in pain, but I really wasn't. It didn't hurt a lot. But, I could feel some type of tugging sensation and it was unnerving. Probably moreso since I was young and overwhelmed. So yes, I'm now all about just knocking me out. I know some people find it fascinating and would love to be awake - not me!!!
 
@ljrfrm - how horrible for you. You must have been terrified!

It's the noise that scares me. I don't want to hear the heavy equipment being used! I have regular colonoscopies and am always awake through those, even though they give me something to make me drowsy. I just didn't want to take any chances of waking up like my friend did.
 
I'm thinking about you, Threads! May you the best possible recovery ever!
 
Thanks for the good wishes @Jane B. I'm determined to prove all the people that have told me I'm crazy - wrong! Miss our son though - we'll have a good chat tonight, phone calls to China are so cheap we don't hesitate to talk an hour.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom