Guest viewing is limited

Gathering Myself Together for BTKR November 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @referee54 - the new title is more appropriate now. I've heeded the advice given and picked up most of my clothes for rehab. Only have to find something for my big feet ;-)
 
@Threads Glad you got the clothes worked out. I actually still live in my sweats/yoga pants 10 weeks now after surgery. I think it's now more a comfort (laziness) thing. I actually put on "real" clothes twice to go out to dinner and for a job interview. It felt a bit weird. I kind of like this livng in yoga pants thing :) I wanted to comment about shoes. My ankels did swell a bit but nothing that was too horrible. But, I lived in the hospital socks for weeks. I had them give me a second pair as well, so as one was washing I could still wear the other pair. They had the non-slide tread on the bottom and for me, was comfortable wearing around the house. I bought a new pair of shoes right before surgery (New Balance Crosstrainers) and would only wear them for therapy. I even wore my hospital socks home from the hospital. I found it much easier than trying to put shoes on, especially the first week or so. As my recovery progressed and I started doing more outside the house, I still only usually wear the crosstrainers out.
 
Thanks for the pointers @ljrfrm - my ankles swell now so I imagine they will post surgery. I have some non-slide socks that I sometimes use when I'm weaving, that way my feet are warm and I can feel the treadles (sorry, weaving talk). However, I find them hard to put on now. I'll see if I can find larger ones. Thanks for the tip about cross trainers. BTW, what do you wear in the pool? I have some open, light weight runners that give me a solid feeling during Aquafit but the lining is wearing out. I can't do laps in them though, they drag my feet down. I even picked up a new bathing suit yesterday - the lining in my old one is falling apart and there is a pool in the rehab hospital I'm likely to go to. Whether or not I use it depends on how fast my incision heals, I know. However, I will be back in the pool as soon as I can.

I hope you spend time icing this weekend with remote in hand!
 
@Threads I didn't wear anything on my feet in the pool the other day and my toes were a bit scraped after my workout. Will have to figure that out. I also wore the only bathing suit I have right now that fits me - it's a two piece tankini type with shorts and the tankini top. Not the best option as the top spent the whole time floating up to my chin. Will need to figure the whole "pool wear" stuff out :)
 
@ljrfrm - I just got a one piece that can handle the chlorine in the pool. I tried a bunch on and it was the easiest to get on and off. That's the kind I've been using for the last 3 years. At first I was very aware of walking around the pool revealing so much of my aging body but now, who cares! No one else does. It keeps me decently covered and doesn't get in my way. Vancouver is a very racially mixed city so we have men in the pool with their turbans on and women with long shorts and t-shirts balancing a facecloth on their head to keep the top of their heads covered. Cantonese and Mandarin as well as East Asian languages surround you as you workout in the pool. It's an interesting hour!
 
@Threads I just hate buying bathing suits......eeek. I do need to get a one piece though!
 
@ljrfrm - just bite the bullet and go for a one piece. I hate looking at myself in a mirror while trying on bathing suits - but I know that the one way I can exercise, is in the pool. No one cares what I look like anymore than I care what anyone else looks like. Just go for it - having what you're wearing now floating around just gets in your way.

Hope your knees were happier today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Surfer shorts and shirts aka rashguards. Much more sensible. just Google surfer swimwear. Modest, stylish, and can be worn in real life outside the pool.
 
@jeano Will check it out. I guess if the shirts are tight (my boys have some and they seem to be) they won't float up then. @Threads I know I need to get past the whole bathing suit thing.......maybe someday :)
 
I would wear a burkini, if I could get away with it. As it is, I wear board shorts, as @jeano suggested.

broken link removed: https://scanfree.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/burkini.jpg
 
Now - I like that @Jane B.!!!!! I could strut in style across the pool deck, slowly, gracefully, slip myself into the water placing my pool dumbbells in an attractive manner on the pool edge. They would have to display my beautiful necklace properly while I did most of my workout. I could wear the necklace while doing my upper body excersises. Why didn't I know about these before I went shopping Friday :tantrum2:
 
@ljrfrm - go for it - you would be setting quite the fashion statement and there would be nothing to get in your way while you were swimming. It looks very secure - so no worries there :loll:
 
@Threads, thanks for the Happy Thanksgiving message. Hope you had a good one as well. Ah bathing suits. I wear a one piece with a little skirt over it. Enough coverage that my thighs are hidden when I am out of the pool but it does not weight me down when I am in the water.

I am looking into a gym membership at The Athletic Club. It may be a bit pricey but they have a Womens Only pool as well as a co-ed pool. So depending on how my self-image was on any given day would decide what pool I go into. :)

The Burkini looks like a good option for me @Jane B.!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom