TKR Full moon and Friday the 13th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had TKR on June 13th too ! I am walking , riding a recumbent bike and doing my last 2 pts in the next two weeks. Flexion is 120 and can almost flatten my knee. I take Tylenol for pain and sometimes ibuprofen. It is cool that you and I are TKR buddies of sorts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@71Beetle every few days, regardless of what I've done or not done, I have a day that I seem to sleep away. Today was that day, and while I feel kind of like a slug on these days, I know that my body is taking the opportunity to heal, so it's ok. So, as usual, my plan for the weekend is to let my body tell me what I need, try to do it, work to get my PT in so I don't get too stiff. I was kind of hoping to get out and pick up a few things for school, but it can wait for tomorrow or I'll make a list and send someone to pick them up.

I totally agree with you about babies! They are amazing, great for cuddles, and it's so nice to be able to hand them back to their parents. I'm not ready to be a grandparent yet either...

I am a little worried that my Percocet won't last until Monday, but I'm also trying to figure out a plan to stop taking it because it is soooooo inconvenient not to be able to drive! The problem is that when I try to back off or stretch out my dosing, my knee tells me no and becomes so sensitive that even my cryocuff is uncomfortable. I've read Josephine recommend Tylenol to others, but Tylenol has never been effective for me. Well, now I'm rambling...

I hope you are enjoying your weekend!
 
Hi @H2OPoloMom - everyone heals at a different pace. Some people on the forum stopped meds after a couple of weeks. others are taking something months out. It is an individual thing. I have taken some form of pain killer that i stronger than Tylenol since my first surgery. I tried to wean off and was successful in getting the dosages down but was never med free. I am still using pretty much the same dosage that I had when I left the hospital. I am not on the clock with it and I let my body decide the next dose but it is still telling me every 4 hours...

If trying to cut back causes pain, then you need to not cut back. It is much easier to maintain pain control than let it get out of hand and try to manage in back to a comfort level.

How is your weekend if going?
 
Thank you @71Beetle! I think the frustrating part for me is that I don't get fuzzy headed or sleepy like many people when I take narcotics or muscle relaxants. But because they are in my system, it's illegal for me to drive. Trying to line up rides for PT is frustrating when it's less than a mile from my house, my car sits in the garage, and it's my left knee that has been operated on. I do know that I need to stay on the meds or I'd be totally useless.

It's been a quiet weekend since my brother's family went back to South Dakota. I've done some work on the computer (short bursts between icing), and have slept like it's going out of style even if only in 2-3 hours increments. I did go to Staples today to pick up a few back to school items, and it was the first time that I've been able to bust out the handicap sign for parking. I think my husband was more excited about that than me.

Perhaps your weekend was more exciting than mine?
 
I did not do anything this weekend @H2OPoloMom - the only time I went outside was to sit with my leg up by the pool to break the monotony of sitting with my leg up on the couch. I am nowhere near ready to go out shopping no matter how much I am going stir crazy. It has only been 10 days since my surgery but it has been 10 weeks since the last surgery so I am getting antsy.

I understand your frustration of not being able to drive - especially when it is your left leg that you had done. It will come. Remember, you are only one month out. (They should have a turntable emoticon for the times we sound like broken records). :)

Back to school shopping already? I hope your school reimburses you for your purchases. Do you get a budget to work with or does the school provide everything and you have to pay for anything beyond what they supply?

Take care and w'llm 'chat soon".
 
When I first started teaching, I had a $100 budget to buy classroom supplies. Fast forward 16 years, I think I had $28.50 this year. The rest I buy with my money. I hit all the sales and that helps. My students are worth it. You'd be surprised at the amount of Kleenex that high schoolers can go through!

Sitting by the pool in the sun sounds divine. My avatar is the fire pit at my parents cottage. It's on a small lake and we usually spend as much time as possible up there. Not so much this year. It was built by my great, great, great aunt. When she was older, she was in a wheelchair and I have no idea how she was able to get around. They must have carried her because the ground is uneven and there's a good hill to get down to the sometimes sandy beach and the lake.

Were you able to get out some between surgeries? We do sound like broken records some don't we? At least you are getting both knees fixed now. By next summer, you'll be able to enjoy all the things you missed doing or suffered through because of your knees. I'm planing a trip to Tennessee to camp and hike in the mountains. What are you looking forward to doing?
 
@JoRae I don't know how I missed your message before!?! Congrats on your progress! You're walking without a cane or a walker? Well done! I occasionally will maneuver around the house without an aid, but I go slow to make sure that I have a proper gait. I usually will still use my walker because it has a basket that I can put stuff in so I don't have to carry it. I wish Tylenol worked for me, but it doesn't. At least the meds that I'm on don't make me fuzzy headed or nauseated like they do some people. My regular physical therapist just eyeballs my ROM. The last time I was there, I was close to a 120, but not making much progress on my extension. With his help, I can get to 0, but my face usually looks like this when he does:oyvey:I had quite a setback when I worked with another therapist who didn't listen to my needs and pushed me too far. I am making better progress with it now.

I hope you had a great weekend! Any plans for the week that you are looking forward to?
 
With Tylenol, it's critical that you take the proper dosage for it to be effective. I found this out first hand years ago when Josephine told me I was not taking it properly!!! You must take 1000mg per dose. That's two Extra Strength Tylenol. You can take this dose safely every 4 hours with no more than 4000mg in any 24 hour period.

If that's not how you've been taking it, try it.

Or...you might ask your doctor about a non-narcotic prescription pain medication called Tramadol. It's ususally considered a "step down" from Percocet or Hydrocodone.
 
Unfortunately, Tylenol has never been an effective pain killer for me (same with Vicodin and now Norco). I've always taken ibuprofen for headaches, pain, and a few other issues. Luckily, I don't have any of the stomach issues that it can cause.
 
@Highpointer42 if being dependent on your wife right now is what you need to do for the best outcome, then do it! In the long run, it will help you to take better care of her too. Sounds like you got the mantras down pat. Just out of curiosity, are you a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fan (based on your user name)? If so, then don't panic! And always bring a towel:cheers:
H2OPoloMom: don't know what the Hitchhiker's Guide might be. Maybe I'm too old (76). Highpointers climb mountains, sepcifically to the highest points in every state. I've got 42 done. Eight more to go after TKA.
 
@Highpointer42 congrats on your accomplishment! I was referring to a book published by Douglass Adams in 1979 (although it has also been part of a BBC radio broadcast, comics and a movie). In the book, 42 is the ultimate answer as calculating by Earth, a supercomputer. They just need to figure out what the question is...strange, but funny book :)
 
One of those nights, one of those days, pain meds reduced again, getting ready for PT and trying to NOT let my lack of sleep interfere with my attitude. :wink:
 
Good job! It can be exhausting though and I imagine doubly for you. Bright spot in my day, another knee patient at PT was jealous of how healed my scar is:egypdance:Not like I really had much to do with it, but it made me feel better. His brother (driver) was also very impressed that I do my home exercises on the floor. I may not be very graceful when I get up, but I can.
 
Unfortunately, Tylenol has never been an effective pain killer for me (same with Vicodin and now Norco). I've always taken ibuprofen for headaches, pain, and a few other issues. Luckily, I don't have any of the stomach issues that it can cause.
But you didn't say if you were taking Tylenol at the 1000mg dose and still finding it ineffective. Is this the dose you tried???
 
I have not tried the 1000 mg dose of Tylenol 4x a day. I don't even keep straight Tylenol in the house anymore (used to use it with my kids when they were babies) because it hasn't been helpful for pain for me even when I was 12. My mother, brother, and maternal aunt have some of the same issues that I have when it comes to pain killers.
 
Hi PoloMom, you and I had surgery about the same time! I had a Right Knee Revisitation and replacement of the top part of the kneecap on 3rd June and then Left TKR on 5th June! You sound as if you are doing really well! Keep up the good work. Mine has certainly been a challenge having both knees done and I have overdone things so am just resting, resting today! Overall I am pleased with the way things are going. The first time around with my RTKR didn't work well so that's why the Revisitation with a different Surgeon! Things are better this time...just want to get going! However, we still have to be really careful as I found out two days ago when I walked too far! We will get there...just stay positive!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom