THR Frustrated

I know @Jaycey .....need to stop waiting for 'the sign'!! In my heart I know I need it, would have done it a couple of weeks after my op (probably still running on endorphins) but now I think I've come off the boil and am dragging my feet (not literally unfortunately, that would have been a good incentive :wink:). Decision very soon, so that I can tell dad before he goes home at the weekend

thank you @Josephine ......have read the same reply from you to many others but you always have a niggly feeling it might be different for you :umm:I have great respect for your advice, and appreciate your time in replying :flwrysmile:
 
Any, so sorry you can’t sleep on side yet. Just wanted to respond to your progress because it’s exactly like mine (though I had both hips done). I’m at 5 1/2 weeks. Even the strained tendon at the top of your thigh and the fact that it sometimes aches outside. I have one hip that’s doing that (other is fine). Just reassuring to hear your progress.
Keep up the good work!
 
thank you @Storygirl ...... one thing (among many others) I have learned from this forum is that there is nothing that can happen to you that hasn't happened to someone else.....makes you feel less alone. I hope you're progressing well....bilateral sounds like a good idea, but I think you've got to be a special type of determined to get thro those first few weeks!!
 
time to change my thread title......"The Honeymoon is over" fits the bill (and my mood!) After a few stops and starts with lefty, and hoping that they were just odd blips (we have this enormous capacity for pulling the wool over our own eyes :heehee:), yesterday lefty made it's position clear with a vengeance :whistle:Until fairly recently, the operated (right) side was almost pain free (just a little 'self-levelling' to be done in the first few steps after sitting down) and the less-bad left side had been almost completely silent since the op.....I could go on quite long walks and only feel a little tired cos I was out of practice.....cue for a certain amount of smugness at how well everything was going :umm:.

Then yesterday, from getting out of bed and for the rest of the morning, my left side could not weight bear, and was quite painful when I tried to do so.....in the afternoon, it was more manageable but very inconsistent. Difficult to ice as it's right up around the top of the leg, in the socket line.....I assume it's those pesky 'loose bodies' that slide around causing problems when they get in the wrong place (reminds me of those little travel games....a clear round container with holes in the base and ball bearings you have to balance on the holes). I am now back to using the cane (or at least keeping it nearby, as I never know when the lurch is going to strike) so that I don't setback the operated right side, which is still doing well, I think

so questions for my hippy peers: does the 'can't weightbear on the op side for the first few steps then it's fine' scenario disappear with time, or does it need exercise as well? Do people with oa both sides find that the second side has similar symptoms to the first.....my first was also a mobility/weakness thing rather than really bad pain (I'm extremely fortunate my pain only happens when I'm being active.....good excuse to be a couch potato :wink:) and lastly, any tips for getting the feeling back in the numb area around the incision (incision about 8", most of it has no feeling and that extends 3 or 4"below it too)....hate that 'dead' feeling, try not to touch it :umm:

lastly, would one of the forum advisers kindly change my title please, and if I have qs/comments about the non-op hip, can I put them on the pre-op side? Thank you :)
 
can't weightbear on the op side for the first few steps then it's fine' scenario disappear with time
Eventually left me, but other than mild stretching when getting up after long periods don't think exercise was necessary.
Happened less and less with time...like four months (sorry)

and lastly, any tips for getting the feeling back in the numb area around the incision (incision about 8", most of it has no feeling and that extends 3 or 4"below
Also dissipated slowly.
Mine stayed very numb on one side especially! Figured at 6 months out, probably permanent!
Bothered me alot at first, but figured better than hip pain.
But remarkably, all back to normal now.:egypdance:

Getting someone to address your title change and as you are looking to achieve double hippy status, a pre-op thread is appropriate for questioning is my understanding.

Hope you have a Good Day:SUNsmile:
 
if I have qs/comments about the non-op hip, can I put them on the pre-op side? Thank you :)

[Bonesmart.org] Frustrated
You may start a thread in pre op to ask about your unoperated hip, but you can also ask these questions in your recovery thread.
 
Strange thing with those non op hips!
It is my left side that had the super tight hip flexor. But according to the xray, the left side is not worthy of surgery.....yet.
The good thing (among many) about being a double, is that you know what to expect.
I still have an extra long shoehorn I never used....
 
@sequin98 Don't think anyone ever told our hips about consistency and logic!
The good thing (among many) about being a double, is that you know what to expect
mmm knowledge is power but from the other direction, ignorance can be bliss :heehee:

And how have you gone through recovery without using your extra-long shoehorn?? It's my most used bit of equipment (apart from the raised loo seat :wink:)

I wonder if those xrays which appear to show little damage only tell half the story because they only take front views, so maybe there could be a problem round the back that is not apparent?

Seems to be too simplistic an explanation really, but then my surgeon said that my joint was much worse than the xrays showed so ??

@Josephine could you shed any light on how accurate xrays are please? And I've noticed people talking about 'standing' xrays, but everyone over here seems to only have flat ones. Do the standing ones present a better view? Thanks
 
At 5 weeks, my OS told me I could put my shoes on, laces and all! Told me to do in between my legs, and that I could toss the riser.
I would like to know why that hip flexor on the left is always so tight! My pt told me that some people are just always tight- but really?
 
Presumably your PT gives you stretches for the hip flexor? Are they not making any difference at all?
 
@anny
Just coming over here to your thread to catch up and didn't know about the bad honeymoon! You poor thing. Have you scheduled yet? I'm not nagging honest. I put my first off forever but didn't count on having two separate cancelled surgeries. By then well, let's just say I was ready to have my husband do it!

My left is acting exactly like my right did over a year ago. It started niggly and at my 6 week follow up. I scheduled for August then WAM! over the weekend it blew up. And now I have bursitis and IT band issues on both sides! The whole left leg, hip to calf aches. Weight bearing very intermittently. And painful!! Still limping badly and cannot do stairs except one at a time with cane and railing hoists. So I think the bad left is for sure keeping my new right leg from moving forward.

Several surgeons (the 4 that I saw regarding THR) told me they don't really need more than X-rays to determine if the joint has adequate OA or bony structural issues, in order to qualify for insurance for THR. They then use xray for measurement for prosthesis.

If you have the appropriate arthritic xray and are symptomatic and are age appropriate, then do the surgery. Xrays being most cost effective for diagnosis. No need for MRI. Only if OA doesn't show on xray or symptoms lean toward labral tears or soft tissue issues; then insurance pays for MRI. Or doc needs better eyes for diagnosis. Or you've got great insurance which pays for MRI for everything, which leaves the above moot.

My current OS doesn't do standing xrays, previous one did standing and flat. But might just be the equipment that they have in office.
 
I have a couple of stretches for them, but they tighten up so fast (like after a block of walking :headbang:)
 
@BeBe I think lefty is taking this 'hip twin' to extremes. Your description of your left is ringing bells, from the ITB and bursa, to the crawling up the stairs hanging onto the banisters. Do you find that the ITB part (outside of hip and knee) are almost painless when you're up and moving, but ache and throb like mad when you're sitting?

Everything I've read about it says it's associated with movement not rest and also tends to site it at just the knee not the hip as well so not totally convinced it is ITB. Though I suppose in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter - pain is pain! But I just like to know :umm:
 
I wonder if those xrays which appear to show little damage only tell half the story because they only take front views, so maybe there could be a problem round the back that is not apparent?
Oh anny, that is almost funny! Xrays don't just show front or back. To them, the body is transparent so both can be seen at once!
I've noticed people talking about 'standing' xrays, but everyone over here seems to only have flat ones. Do the standing ones present a better view?
A standing xray is generally requested when the surgeon wants to see the weight bearing effect. Otherwise it can be done either standing or laying down.
@Josephine could you shed any light on how accurate xrays are please?
Nearly all the information necessary can be obtained from an xray but there can still be soft tissue damage that will naturally not show up there. But poor xrays give poor information of course.
Everything I've read about it says it's associated with movement not rest and also tends to site it at just the knee not the hip as well so not totally convinced it is ITB.
Actually the ilio-tibial band is so called because it stretches from the iliac crest to top of the tibia as shown here. So the pain can show up at either the hip or the knee. And speaking as a person who has had ITB issues more than once, it can be painful in either rest or movement so I don't know where you read that but it's wrong!

[Bonesmart.org] Frustrated
 
@Josephine ....thank you for educating me about xrays....now it makes more sense (brings further Qs to mind, but they'll keep for puzzling over in the small hours!)

So if the pain is coming from the ITB rubbing on the hip joint (and presumably the inflammation becomes chronic over time and hurts at rest), does that mean that it will no longer be a problem after THR? Or does it keep catching on the new one? I also read that one of the causes can be bow legs (which seem to be implicated in a few leg problems).....I have the opposite, knock knees, are they also a cause of associated problems?

Sorry for more questions....it's good to be able to ask someone who can answer them with some authority.....and thank you for all the time and help you provide....you are a very giving lady :thankyou:
 
Hey @anny sorry that you’re experiencing ITB issues. I’ve been there, not fun at all. One thing that helped me, surprisingly, was a very firm mattress, although it does have a layer of memory foam, so it’s not hard. I got one of those beds that allows you to change the firmness to each side by adding air, my husband likes a softer mattress than I do, so we can adjust our own sides. I haven’t had IT band issues since, it was a very pleasant surprise.

I hope things start to settle down with your op hip. I’ve experienced that weight bearing pain as well that then disappears. I think mine was activity related though. It seems that recovery keeps throwing something new at us each week or so. There’s a bit of a rhythm, two steps forward, one step back. We’re doing the hippie dance :heehee:

You mentioned on your post on my thread that you have a doctor’s appointment coming up. I hope you get all of your questions answered for both hips. We’re just a few days apart in our recovery and I can’t imagine having to deal with my other hip now as well, my heart goes out to you. Thank goodness there are so many double hippies that can help guide the way, this forum is a blessing.

I’ll be back to see how you made out, good luck and hugs :console2:
 
I think mine was activity related though. It seems that recovery keeps throwing something new at us each week or so. There’s a bit of a rhythm, two steps forward, one step back. We’re doing the hippie dance

Perfect description...if I do this, it does this...did doing that cause this? We figure it out by trial and error often.
 
So if the pain is coming from the ITB rubbing on the hip joint, does that mean that it will no longer be a problem after THR? Or does it keep catching on the new one?
anny, I promise you that the IT band does not ' rub on the hip joint'. It cannot because the joint is far too deep into the body for the IT band cannot come anywhere near it. The pain comes from the inflammation in the IT band as shown in the image.
I also read that one of the causes can be bow legs (which seem to be implicated in a few leg problems)
Bow legs or knock knees are more commonly a problem for knees rather than hips.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom