THR Frustrated

Thank you @Mojo333 .....your timing is very good....have just been for a (fairly) long with my dad around a lake, was anticipating I would find it a bit challenging, not to mention painful, as it's further than I've done before, but I feel pretty ok (I AM going to slap the icepacks in a minute tho!). I'm chalking it up as a win for the tortoise, and hope it doesn't catch up with me tonight :whistle:

Can't believe it's already 2 months....how time flies when you're enjoying yourself :heehee: I'm so grateful to everyone on the forum, I'm sure I wouldn't be doing so well without everyone's support and generous sharing of experience! :loveshwr:
 
Wonderful for you. My sister's house, where I rehabbed for my first 6 weeks, has a beautiful pond , and it's so nice to be outside at this point.
Inclines weren't very easy on my thighs, but the hips were so much better that I was amazed.
And following up the walk with ice is exactly how you help those muscles recoup!
Can't wait to be wishing you happy 6 months...:curtsey:
 
Pride comes before a Fall.....well, that'll teach me not to be so smug! After that longish walk with dad I felt great afterwards.....almost back to normal. No meds for 2 weeks, cane was retired (apart from occasionally carrying it in the car 'in case')10 days ago, could go up and down stairs without holding the bannister, left hip was just about silent, and right hip was more discomfort than pain. Then late yesterday afternoon the left one got decidedly 'pain in the bum'.....and I suddenly developed a very awkward walk. The new hip didn't like that and decided to start burning and generally whinging too. Hoped lots of ice and rest would sort it, but I had to take my daughter's partner to the airport early this morning, and both hips made it very clear they did not want to sit for longer than half an hour. Consequently after the 2 hr round trip, I had to be prised from the car and it took me a few minutes before I could hobble up the path :sigh:

What I don't understand is why the left one, which was fairly painfree pre-op, should have been entirely painfree for the first 4-5 wks post-op (in fact I'd almost decided anything I'd had previously was just referred pain) when the operated right was making it do a lot of the work, and it has now made its presence felt when right is doing its fair share and my walking is better than it has been for nearly a year! Any theories floating around out there?

I've dug out the painkillers again, warned the icepacks they're doing double shifts, and will probably phone the surgeon's office for an op date (with the thought I can always cancel if this turns out to be a false alarm :whistle:) I know this is nothing out of the ordinary, lots of people have this happen (I'm looking at you, BeBe! :wave:) but it's a bit depressing to have this setback with no apparent warning.....anyone know if it could be referred pain from the recuperating hip, she asks hopefully?
 
Hi Anny! Welcome to ODIC! Actually same thing happened to me and my non OP leg...it started to "talk" when it was quiet all the time before my surgery. I think it has to do with the changes in our gait after surgery.
 
@anny, sorry to hear about your new pains! What is it with these left hips right now? :shrug: You, @BeBe, @sequin98, and me, too! If I’m not mistaken, we all had right THR within a week or so of each other back in March - and lefts are all giving us trouble now. Maybe it’s what @Bumblebee said, and our bodies are just adjusting as our gait changes. Here’s hoping! I’m not as brave as @BeBe - I don’t think I could sign up another THR just yet!

Hope rest and ice are all you need! :ice: Take care and keep us posted on how you’re doing!
 
@anny @Bumblebee @TinyMom

I'd blame it on the water?!? :bawl:
Sorry you guys are experiencing this other hip thing same as me.
I totally agree about the gait changes. I've been limping badly for a year but now that my new hip
has made it apparent my left side is woefully inadequate, I have a whole different wobble going on.
High low shoes that even it out helps somewhat but I do not always wear them then get in trouble.
Plus I'm doing a lot of walking trying to get stronger and that is not furthering the cause. Hindering it actually.
Like Anny's hike round the lake ( hey Anny how were Dads hips?) too much of a good thing.
Ice up ladies.
 
My OS reckons I have enough joint space and cartilage on the left to last 10 years. I hope he is right!! By that time, I hope there are more surgeons preforming the anterior approach.
 
I'd blame it on the water?!?

no no BeBe.....I have to have a person to blame.....maybe it's like the hormone thing when lots of women are together....now, who was the first Musketeer to have left hipitis? :loll: And yes, I did try to blame my dad, but at 92 he has NO arthritis!! (well nothing he'll admit to) his hips are so much better than mine :sigh:

Tinymum....think we need to have a joint 'ice-in'.....thinking about taking shares in an icepack company!
 
I hope that your left hip is feeling better @anny It looks like it didn’t start bothering you until you overdid it a bit, so hopefully it’s temporary. And don’t forget that the meds you took for your right hip were also working on your left, so they may have been enough to mask any pain earlier when they were working double time.
 
@anny - you should buy those shares now as I am planning to purchase more ice packs this week :heehee: Gotta get more of the good gel ones! :ice:

Maybe if we ice and take it easy, we will make it past this and get more good years out of these left hips. Taking it easy is the hard part, for sure!!
 
@anny hahahaha! Hormonal that explains it!
I'm impressed that your dad is spry at 92! Good for him!
Our old hips have their own timeline for flare ups.
@TinyMom
Mine have been brewing for 5+ years, you can ignore them but
the pain will win in the end. Four years ago I was told both were ready
for replacement, I had prolotherapy and bought some time.
Not going to be able to do that this time.
 
Looks like you’re out and about and doing well. :yes!: I’m glad you didn’t do clamshells. I’m not a fan of them.
 
Well, here I am, nearly 4 wks past that checkup and still prevaricating about booking in for leftie. My heart thinks I probably need to get it done but my brain is still thinking up reasons why it might not be bad enough. I need to knock it on the head

@Josephine, is it possible to get referred pain in the second hip from the operated one? and is persistent ITB pain (hip to outer knee) likely to be from OA?

I have occasional pain/discomfort in the left that seems to echo (but less painful) what I have in the recovering right. My last xray after the op shows that it is not as bad as the right, but has got slightly worse since Oct. Reading this I wonder why I'm even questioning it, but I would be grateful for your comments! Thank you :)
 
@anny hips go from tolerable to horrid very quickly. I'm guessing your increased walking did not make that non-op hip happy. From my experience, getting the second one done and dusted as soon as you can means an easier recovery.

Come on Anny - join our double hippie club. You won't regret it!
 
Hi anny,
I'm tagging @Josephine for you to answer your questions.
I'm sure you didn't notice but the tag isn't showing because that period is too close to the @
Learned after doing this myself.
Hope you have a great day!
@anny
 
Then you will be able to do this, Anny.:chuckmarch:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom