BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Frustrated

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by anny, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Happy Three Month Anniversary!
    I hope you're feeling more hopeful this week.
    May your days only get brighter.
    @anny

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Three months...not that long into recovery.
    Plenty of time for things to get better and better!
    Hope this is the case and you are less frustrated?
    Sending healing vibes and a flower:flwrysmile:...matter of fact...have two:flwrysmile:

3. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@anny
    I trying to catch up on threads and wondering how your appointment went and any news on the knee?

I too have issues with the R knee since the hips gave out and dont really even want to say this out loud but the
    audible bone grind has started for me. Pain is still soft tissue ITB related but the bone crunch up and down stairs lets me know the clock is ticking.

Anny, if we have to go to the knee forum can we please go together?

4. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    ugh @BeBe ......isn't it infuriating! Having 2 hips in one year is bad enough, but at least you think you're going to be back to 'normal'.......not! I didn't want to think that my knee was getting in on the act....persuaded myself it was tight soft tissue from the hip op that was referring to the knee. However, when I got my xrays back I glued myself to the internet comparing them to 'normal knee' xrays and thought my kneecaps looked a bit strange....they seemed to be a bit higher than everyone else's. So I pursued that (think I'm now on my way to being an orthopod :wink:) and decided I had patella alta, aka high riding kneecaps. Both knees are the same so I think I must have been born with them, and it explains why I've always found kneeling painful (not underexercised muscles as a physio once told me!) even as a child. My surgeon confirmed this at my appointment, also that I have oa under the kneecap, but very little in the other compartments of the knee.

My task now is to lose some weight and to strengthen the thigh muscles to make sure the kneecap doesn't come out of its groove.....with hindsight I have had occasions when my knee suddenly locked, and I'd say 'oh my knee's got a crick' and wiggle it until it was loose again....just thought it was one of those things, never entered my head the patella had wobbled out of line! He said a TKR wasn't necessarily in my future tho he did backtrack a little when I asked him if it had worsened since the first xrays about 18 mths ago....when he looked at them he said it had got worse, which makes it more likely that it will be an op some time in the future. I'm definitely not keen on that so will be doing my best to keep it at bay....at the moment it's not really painful....the odd jab, but mostly it is stiff and feels as if I have a concrete bandage round it. I can't walk far but that may be cos of Hip2 which is much slower to recover than Hip1 and feels as if I'm wearing concrete knickers (think there's a theme here!)....at the moment it's sometimes hard to tell what's what as they seem to run together.

It is disappointing.....before op 2 I was better than I'd been for a couple of years and could do long walks....slowcoach hip 2 isn't running to the timetable and now the knee (knees?) are trying to get in on the act. Have you had your knee diagnosed BeBe? One of my knee symptoms is pain at the top of the knee going downstairs....if you've got xrays you can do the measurements fairly easily for PA, google Insall-Salvati for the measuring. My son has had his patella dislocate twice and I'm wondering if this is something I've passed down :unsure: How are your hips doing? Haven't been on BS much lately so I'm out of the loop....following Dementia forums to try to work out what's going on with my FiL in England.....and forums are, I think, worse than Google for making time disappear! I'll keep you in the loop about the knee....not seeing surgeon until next Sept unless it gets a lot worse.....hopefully when Hip2 has settled down it'll be easier to evaluate the knee. Let me know how you get on with yours.....at this rate we might be meeting on the Knee forum! :bawl:

5. BeBe

BeBe graduate

Oh {{@anny}}
    I just popped on here again before bed and here you are!!
    I cannot even think about a knee surgery -- my R hip, first one, is STILL not where is should be pain wise.
    Its funny the congenital stuff one finds out when joint replacement is discussed. My hips were abnormal. Can't remember what the OS called it. My son has had an elbow dislocate and both kids are hyperflexible so probably joint issues in their future. I have the wonky tendon, EDS issues so that complicates the joint longevity.

I have not had any dx xrays etc on the knee. I am trying to ignore it at present. I "ignored" my hips for 5 years so we will see how this goes...
    My brother put off his knee replacements for years. injections etc. and he finally dropped about 40 pounds, down to normal weight for height, and was able to go up and down stairs somewhat better (instead of on hands and knees) It bought him a couple years. Then he had TKR surgery. With a long recovery. Is doing OK now 3 years out.
    I do understand about parents with dementia also, my mom had Alzheimer's, we had this confirmed after she passed. She also had brain CA so docs were sure symptoms were from that but apparently she had both. She was diagnosed with the tumor after her last hip dislocation.
    I hope you find some help for your FIL, it is so very difficult when you are far away. I lived half the country away from my mom when she was diagnosed. I pulled my kids from school and we all moved back to my home state for 4 months.
    Years ago I used to give my horse injections of hyaluronic acid injections for his hock arthritis. It did help him quite a bit. he moved much better and played again. I might try that as a place to start but have to resolve the hip/back issues first. My integrative MD wants me to take oral collagen to help tendon strengthening.
    I took a BS breather but miss the camaraderie here. Its great you're back too!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Bebe.....how are you doing? If you find anything that works with the ITB let me know.....mine doesn't seem to bother me much when I'm walking, but stabs me like crazy sometimes when I'm sitting.....maybe it's trying to tell me to do more walking! As for your knee, I know you said you're trying to ignore it, but have you thought of getting a baseline xray? That way you can see (as well as feel!) if it's getting worse. My surgeon just looked at my current xray and thought it would be a while before it got bad enough for surgery, but when I reminded him I had xrays done 18 mths ago he backtracked on that as he hadn't realised it had deteriorated in that time (I blame the hips for that......walking around with recovering hips I feel like a baby elephant.....NOT exactly light footed! No wonder the knee joints are getting closer together with all that weight thumping on them :sigh:)

Hope you're not overdoing it in the Christmas runup.....take care and have a lovely holiday :re-snowman:

7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Four Month Anniversary on Lefty!
    I hope you're doing well, anny, and had a nice Christmas.
    Leave us an update on your progress, would love to hear how each hip is doing.
    Wishing you a great 2019!
    @anny

8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes @anny
    Have been thinking of you.
    Hope all is well!:flwrysmile:

9. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    I am finding the healing between the two hips really interesting to say the least. Around 13 weeks post op first hip, 4 weeks second hip, my first hip started complaining as well! My physio said to think about the timing of it all, and what first hip has had to endure. I am doing some physio, as I feel so weak, and wanted to get my gait sorted out. I also do some somatics, which is super gentle. My physio isn't one of these rah rah, all for one and one for all guys, who doles out ten reps that have to be done three times a day, otherwise I would not be doing it. I started seriously with him at six weeks post op second hip. This is what my OS recommended too. This physio assesses me and what my body needs, based on where my weakness are, and starts with five reps only, once a day of just a few exercises, and promotes the continued walking...but with hiking poles, to help even out the gait!! That is plenty! You are not alone with the dance of the hips and which one is complaining when! I am still taking Tylenol. Physio assures me it is quite normal to be taking something through about four months post op on average and that everyone is different. I am dropping doses all the time, but definitely take it when needed.

I also was interested to read about what @BeBe had to say about the Hyaluronic Acid (HA) injections that she gives her horses.
    I also have had this success with one of my horses over the years when I was competing him, but now he is retired, I have switched him to 100 grams feed through vs. the monthly injections, as the recent research has been showing the feed through to be more effective...and I find it more cost effective too! I was just having this conversation with a friend here about human consumption of the HA. I think I'm going to see if it helps. I've also started up the glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin sulfate again, that really did help my hips for the first couple of years.

I am sorry about your FIL. My MIL is in the same place with the dementia and more frequent TIA's. You are further away from your FIL than I am from my MIL in Bermuda. Thinking of you on all that.

I hope that you can fend off the knee surgery, as your hips improve.

:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1