THR Frustrated

I just wanted to throw this note in- please make sure that the cane and crutches are sized properly for your height. (I used a cane during my bone on bone...not only do I have a large collection, but am a bit of a cane pro.) :snork:
I use no assistance when I am in my house, and one crutch outside. I just felt I could do it. That was how I knew. I used my walker for the first three weeks, and when I first woke up last week when I felt groggy, but not this week.

Sorry to hijack your thread...
 
Sorry to hijack your thread..

no problem Sequin.....always useful to hear of other people's experience :) The physio in hospital told me how to adjust the crutches to fit me, and when I got the cane out I found loads of stuff on Google to remind me again (handgrips at wrist crease with arm hanging straight down) and I bet there's something in BS library too.

@catt knowing when to swap over your mobility aid seems to be a question of try it and see. When you're feeling fairly stable with 2 crutches, hold the crutch on the same side as your opleg above the floor and try a few steps with just the crutch on the opposite side (that way you've got your second crutch there if it was a bad idea). If it doesn't feel right leave it for a few days and try again, and then just build up from a few steps to across the room etc and before you know it you'll have retired one crutch (but be prepared to bring it back for a bit if you feel a bit weak for any reason or if you have a limp). I'm using the same technique to transition to the cane, tho I'm finding that harder than going to one crutch....still, baby steps :thumb:

AJ and Major Heidi.....both great suggestions, I've often thought that EVERY bathroom ought to have grab rails as standard, but my husband is reluctant to have one fitted in our all-tiled bathroom in case it brings a bigger problem of cracked tiles (Actually, I think it's more a macho thing of grab rails only being for old people :wink:) and the frame looks just like I had imagined in my mind, but can't find one in NZ and Amazon either doesn't ship out here or shipping plus currency rates make it ridiculous unless you're sharing it round everyone in the street! So I think I'm back to practising my 'sit to stands' and gaining amazing bum and leg muscles :heehee:
 
I definitely took my meds at night.
Just as you say, got to get restorative rest.
That thing looks super helpful.
I could've used that helper you pictured.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you're recovery is going well, @anny
Wishing you a great week as you continue healing :flwrysmile:
 
Hey @anny we are officially one monthers! Well you're a day ahead right!
Hope you're having a good one.
I like that thought about gaining bum and leg muscle, I think I had some before surgery?
It's in hiding now
 
Yup BeBe....think most of my muscles have gone awol, including the ones on the other side which probably were feeling left out :whistle: I've got my 6 wk surgeon checkup in 10 days' time, hoping he'll be pleased with my progress (tho I've heard from a friend who had him for her knee that her checkup lasted all of about 3 mins....disappointing when we really want some knowledgeable comments and encouragement). Have you had yours yet? Hope he can give you some positive feedback and suggestions to coax those leg and bum muscles out of hiding :heehee: It seems such a long time since I was freaking out just before the op, but on the other time time seems to have gone so fast....must be all the sleeping I've been doing :wink: (and the good thing is that I'm awake more now, downside is I'm now really bored!) Happy First Month (wonder if there's symbol for that?....a crutch maybe :))
 
@anny love your dog! Looks like my Goldendoodle. Unfortunately I lost her about a year ago. Precious dog!
 
thank you @Shadow09 ....I think he's pretty special too, tho I'm probably a little biased :heehee: Goldendoodles are such a lovely breed (as are labradoodles....don't want to upset Charlie, my older doodle), I don't know what I'd do without them. So sorry about your girl.....the worst thing about dogs is that they don't live long enough. :puppysmooze: from Charlie and Joey
 
Sorry...I've not been very good about keeping up the reports, blaming it all on Dad who is over from England for a few weeks and keeping me busy :yes!:

I had my 6wk checkup with the surgeon last Friday, and it was a mixed bag. As usual, he didn't really volunteer anything, so it was down to me to make conversation! I asked him what the hip had been like when he saw it, and he said 'really bad, much worse than the xray showed, he didn't know how I was still walking' :yikes: I was gobsmacked, thought he was joking for a minute! So I have been so fortunate that I only had moderate pain, and the spur that probably caused me to limp may have stopped me aggravating the really bad bit (that's just my theory).....the good thing is that I feel 'justified' in having the op :umm: I did wonder why it hadn't shown up on the xray tho? I also asked about my left one, as I was having virtually no backchat from it since the op....he said radiologically it was slightly less bad than the right , suggested I stop pain meds to see if they are masking any pain in left, and he was prepared to book me in for August if I wanted. I'm giving it a couple of weeks before I decide, time for yet more agonising over "is it bad enough" :heehee:

So that was the positive bit.....on the way out I turned and said, "I'm ok to stop the precautions now I'm 6wks, aren't I?".....never dreaming he'd say "keep them going for another 6 weeks"! Nooooo :flabber::bawl::boohoo:.................another 6 wks of back sleeping!! I was so gobsmacked I didn't even ask him why, just said thank you (!!) and left. Isn't 12 weeks a bit unusual? Especially when I was told 6 wks (can't remember who said it) when I left hospital? He didn't comment on how I was walking (fairly well, I thought, with small help from the cane), but I can't think that he saw anything to warrant longer with precautions. Grrrr was so looking forward to curling up on my side :sigh: AND he wants to see me in another 6 weeks to check that I'm walking stick-free.....no pressure then! (mind you, if I'm not stick free by then I shall be worried :yes:)

Today I have worked down to no pain meds....my op leg is pretty bearable so I'll see if Leftie speaks up. My right hip wasn't very painful, but caused a very painful achilles on the same leg, which went immediately after the op. My left side has a fairly painful ITB at the knee, which I've had for several years, and I'm wondering if that is also hip related, but the actual hip is only slightly achy and a bit bruised feeling.......so confusing when it goes underground and pops up somewhere else!!

Mobility-wise I have started walking round the house support-free, (except for the stairs....still need that bit of help going up) and outside I take the cane but carry it off the ground most/some of the time. Sometimes I get a feeling like a strained tendon/muscle on the very top of the front of my thigh, and have to ice it, but it's not too bad, and sometimes it aches in the outer part of the hip joint. I have found that sitting too long makes me uncomfortable and fidgety, and I also have a large totally numb area where the scar is and around it (large dinnerplate size?). I hate touching that.....such a weird feeling when you know you're touching it but can't feel it! On the other hand I don't even notice I've got an ice-pack there :thumb: Fortunately the surgeon said just to leave it alone, don't need to oil or massage it.

I think that's everything so far.....I need to make an appt with the physio for an assessment just to check I'm not acquiring any nasty little habits, but don't anticipate going to the class. And I'm pressganging my husband into going out in the car with me to make sure I'm safe to be on the road.....yippee, Freedom :yahoo:

I hope everyone else's recovery is going reasonably smoothly, with no nasty hiccups......:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Anny...was just thinking about how you were doing. Other than the usual aches and pains it sounds like you are doing fantastic!
When you asked about restrictions, did you ask specifically about side sleeping? It may be he was thinking more involved restrictions like bending past 90 degrees, etc. Can you call the office and ask specifically about side sleeping with the pillow between your legs? 12 weeks does seem excessive to me too.
I know what you mean about touching the numb area...I feel it too. It takes awhile for the nerves to regenerate. Mine feels alittle less numb as time goes by.
Wishing you continued healing!
 
What is it about physios???(PTs in US). I went to see the physio recommended by the hospital, thinking I would get an assessment as to how I'm moving and maybe some useful suggestions (this is a different physio from the one who told me I shouldn't be limping before my op :wink:).

She glanced at my 'can you do this/that/and the other' form and started talking about exercise to strengthen my muscles. She got me on the bench on my back and took me thro the bridge.....ok, minimal lift of bum, but she said to do 15 reps 3 times a day. Bit ott I thought, so I'll 'adjust' that. Then, she told me to turn onto my good side to do clamshells. Well, I'd done it before it suddenly dawned on me that if I'm not supposed to sleep on my side, surely I shouldn't be exercising on it? I reminded her that I'd told her my surgeon had said sleep on back and continue all precautions (just 5 mins earlier and she'd been surprised cos she said she'd never known anyone have precautions beyond 6 wks) and she laughed and stuck a pillow between my legs.

Well, I was pants at the clamshell (always have been....do a bit of sideways walking at home instead) and I shan't be doing it again. But I will also cancel my next appt and not bother with them cos I was disappointed she seemed to give no thought as to why I was still on restrictions and maybe she should modify the exercise, at least until the surgeon had been contacted. She didn't say anything about my gait, posture etc just that it was important I kept my leg and glute muscles strong.....it was very much formulaic, no adaptation to the person.

So, having got that whinge out of the way :heehee: the day after my last post I decided I needed to get my big girl pants on and stop depending on the crutch (it was becoming my comfort thing rather than a support :whistle:) and since then I have been shopping etc and don't use it at all during the day (it hangs on my wardrobe door for the occasional night time trip) so soon I will put it away to recoup for its next tour of duty with leftie. That, and driving. gave me such a buzz....felt like a toddler walking for the first time!:happydance:

I'm going to email my surgeon as to why he extended my precautions to 12 weeks but as it takes him a long time to answer, does anyone else have similar experience, or any theory about why? As far as I know there was no complication with either my hip or the op, except the oa was more advanced than the xray showed, but can't think that makes any difference. My osteoporosis is spinal, hip is only osteopenic, so surely that wouldn't be it either? It's uncemented, but no-one has said that calls for longer precautions. Brain overthinking again :gaah: All minor stuff.. I'm so fortunate I haven't got any REAL problems to bend your ears about!

Would a kind moderator please change my title to "What is it about physios?".....thank you :)
 
I had some pretty horrid PT sessions which is why I dropped it early on.
It's on my thread.
Then, I had a PT gym I attended many months out that was very attentive to my needs.
Your OS May have reasons why he feels you should follow restrictions longer...
But I concentrated mostly on gait training and easy stretching!
 
Clamshells and bridges are definitely on my NO-NO list. Read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy and see what else is. In my experience, they cause a lot more problems than anything. I actually spend more time ministering to people (knees as well as hips) because they've done these crazy exercises than any other thing. And doing 45 reps a day is just totally ridiculous. That sort of routine is for healthy people in training for sports activities not for someone only 7 weeks out from major surgery!

As for the length of time imposed for restrictions, this may be due to an experience your surgeon had with another patient, or something he learned from one of his many tutors during his training, possibly in connection with the device being uncemented. It's unusual but not totally unheard of (by me!).
 
thanks Mojo....and isn't it lovely when your lazy inclinations also turn out to be the best way :heehee:
 
thank you for confirming that Josephine....I was pretty certain clamshells at least were not on your 'must do' list :wink: but didn't bother arguing about it......many physios seem to be stuck in the past and not kept pace with new thinking about recovery, pity the surgeons can't educate them, as they seem much more relaxed about the whole rehab thing!
 
@anny
Just catching up with you here on your thread.
I have yet to find a competent PT. In theory I do believe in the benefit, in practice I just have had way more complications than benefit.

I am at about the same place as you are recovery wise but still using the cane outside on uneven ground and out shopping. There is a niggling unsteadiness coming from the new joint and I'm feeling a bit untrustworthy about it still. Plus left hip is horrid and unstable and I use the cane for that now too. Scheduled Aug 17 and might move it sooner if I can.
When I brought it up to my OS at my 6 weeks, he said well to be completely safe, you have a better chance of no dislocation if you stay with precautions for another 6-8 weeks. He sited statistics of research. As I start to bend I should spread my legs and reach between them. To tie shoes for example. It is kind of a moot point however because I can't bend much period ( low back needs surgery) and my left hip now makes all of that impossible. So carry pinchers everywhere or try a bad golfers reach. Not easy with left hip so bad. Need cane to execute.

When my OS talks about precautions he is not talking about back sleeping. Only bending past 90. I was told the day after surgery in hospital that I could sleep as tolerated on my surgical side with a pillow between legs. That was less chance of dislocating with laying on surgical than going onto non surgical side. Yes you read that right!

So at week 2 about I started sleeping on BOTH sides with my huge king size fat pillow groin to foot. Leg bent 90
I just lay on my back with knees bent, pillow between, and roll to side with pillow sandwiched between. Non surgical was easier but I do turn onto surgical now more and more. Always with pillow. Much easier with really firm bed.
All that just to explain what works for me.
So good you've felt comfortable ditching the crutch! Milestone! And driving ! Yay!
Those two things enter a person in the "closer to back to normal" stage correct?

About scheduling your second, I get it. This is such a big surgery one doesn't want to jump the gun. But what I learned from my surgery delays is this; these old hips can wake up with a vengeance!
Then it takes forever to schedule. Plus the left is hindering my complete recovery now. No choice for me really.

You'll make the right decision for you and your hips.
 
I was told the day after surgery in hospital that I could sleep as tolerated on my surgical side with a pillow between legs. That was less chance of dislocating with laying on surgical than going onto non surgical side.
and I think that's because some people laying on the non surgical side will bring the surgical leg up towards chest and out past the knee of the non surgical side.
 
Yes @Bumblebee
I have to have a huge fat firm king pillow otherwise it doesn't hold me back from slipping toward laying on my stomach. The first tries were a bit uncomfortable but much better for me than back sleeping.
Sleep is so important!
 
Hey Anny. Pretty soon you will be two months post op.
I think you have done very well with listening to your body and being patient despite the aggravations.
Good to see you sharing your experiences and reassurance worth others on the forum.
Hope all is well with you and that today is sweet.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom