Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom works on recovery<<

I would talk to your GP---I am amazed at some of these OS's---they would change their tune about pain meds if they underwent a TKR!

I had an OS who told me not to worry about the Oxycontin that I was taking---that I was taking as I needed it and to not worry about addiction---you need to talk with your GP ans get the pain meds straightened out!

Do not let anybody bully you into working harder---it is your knee and your recovery!
 
With that PT they had you doing of course you needed to rest the rest of the day. :(

And it sounds like the doc is way out of date regarding pain control. It's not like you're getting high, you just want the pain at a manageable level.
At the hospital they told me the doc had ok'd pain meds every 4 hours. I still had to ask for them, but I knew that's when I could have them. And I was always in enough pain to need them by then. I had the same schedule at home--if I needed them less often, fine, but every 4 hours was fine. I was on every 4 hours for weeks.
 
Uncomfortable night, can't seem to find a position for resting. Keep adjusting bed, ice cuff, blankets, doze off,wake with a start and repeat.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My CNA just advised she will be helping me shower today, my first since surgery last Wednesday. I get excited about little things like this just now!
 
My CNA just advised she will be helping me shower today, my first since surgery last Wednesday. I get excited about little things like this just now!
And so you should!! This is one of those little steps toward regaining a normal life---a little victory!

It will feel like a slice of heaven!
 
Had my shower, long walk down and back with walker. Ooooh lovely warm water. I sat in my room a bit then got myself dressed. Then PT showed up. Did some exercises in room, then walker to PT room. Time to try stairs. Too much too soon, I saw black. Good thing there was 2 people with me. Took 15 minutes for me to feel I could walk to my room. And lunch. I have earned this nap.
 
Too much, too soon, indeed! Just having shower and walking down the corridor would have been enough to make you need a rest. I remember how wiped out I used to feel after doing just that.
 
On Friday, my dressing will be removed. It is the aquacel. Will be done here at rehab. Anyone have info on this? Specifically does it hurt. The more I know in advance the calmer I am.
 
I had one on my first TKR incision. It is just a thick sticky waterproof dressing- does not hurt at all! I was instructed to leave mine on until it fell off by itself, but the edges were curling so I peeled it off a bit early then covered the incision with my own waterproof dressing (I was prepared). Anyway, there will be no problem whatsoever, so don't worry.
 
I had one also. Mine got water under it, so it came off early - no problem. Have your camera/phone ready so you can take a picture in case they cover it again. Your first look! How exciting.
 
Timetolive, you find it exciting I find it scary. And, I don't want to look. I will either vomit or pass out if I see what's under there. Makes my stomach roll now just thinking about it.

Thank you both re it doesn't hurt.

As a child I often fell,skinned a knee and had a bandaid on. Getting that off involved me crying (in anticipation ), soaking in a bath for ages, and inevitably a scream. Didn't matter if it came off slow or quick. Once in awhile it would float off in the bath, bliss. Not often enough.
 
You have a lot of anxiety. My daughter is that way about anything medical. You can just breathe and look the other way when the dressing comes off. Honestly though, it's your body and your knee- taking a peek may help demystify this surgery for you and thereby alleviate some of the fear. You are going to have an incision scar and you are going to see it eventually- no way out. Might as well appreciate the amazing way in which your skin (since that's all you'll see) repairs itself. I love medicine and human physiology. Can you tell??
 
I am amazed. Just finished pt. As above says, I was hopping at start. They did icing with larger than what I have for 10 minutes while I worked upper body, then we went through stretching, by end of hour I am beyond where I was yesterday. Pain greatly reduced. They went over things for me to do overnight when pain and stiffness starts. They said we have been over those exercises a few times maybe this time I will remember them . I am "wow" at the change from 1 hour ago, just icing and building through exercises no meds.
 
Just got word insurance is cutting me off. Discharge is Saturday at 1 pm or when I can arrange a ride. Dressing comes off here, that morning.
 
I think you will be okay at home---except for the menagerie!!! Please keep the pet sitter in your life---someone will have to walk the dogs. For meals, if you have to do it, order some cliff bars on line---they have ones with 20 gram of protein---I eat the peanut butter one and it is often a breakfast. Make meals easy and don't worry about them. Since you live in a city, take out is an option too. I live in the country, so only pizza comes to the door!! But, a lot of pizza places have good salads too.

Most of all rest---I barely got out of bed the first two weeks and be sure to keep the leg elevated to get rid of the swelling. Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
 
Some good tips here, thanks. Don't know where you got the idea I live in a city, nothing delivers here not even pizza.
 
The location indicated on your profile is indeed an incorporated city. Here is a local pizza delivery place, looks delicious:
https://www.methuenhouseofpizza.com/
And here are three more: Mano's, Chris' and Romano's!
Early on you will either need a ride to the grocery store, or make a list for your kind neighbor. Honestly, for the first month I could shop but I needed to sit in one of the store's electric carts, so if your market doesn't have them you will be better off recruiting or hiring someone. Your pet sitter might be willing to take on some extra duties, doesn't hurt to ask? Amazon grocery delivers everywhere, but unfortunately not perishables like cheese and produce.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom