Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom works on recovery<<

Wow, you look fabulous!!

Of course 4 days out is too soon to worry about changing your pain meds schedule. You are doing the right thing to be proactive and take your meds on a schedule. If you want to try and scale back, ask to drop down to something like hydrocodone or tramadol. But the important thing is that you keep your pain under control in these early weeks and months.

Do make sure your "intense" therapy is not hurting you in any way. That would be counterproductive. At this early stage, it should be gentle bends and stretches.
 
Are you wanting to slow the pain meds down due to the constipation? What are you doing for the constipation? You have to be proactive in that department! I took Miralax daily along with 2 stool softeners. You don't want to go too long without a bowel movement! It is miserable. You do look good in your photo.
 
@Freedom I'm going to ask for this thread to be merged with your other recovery thread.
We like you to keep all your post-op progress in one thread, so that everyone (including you) can see a diary of how you are progressing.
If you're having difficulty finding your thread, either bookmark it or see this:
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Yes, sorry for new thread. Was having trouble adding the photo took most of the day for me to figure it out. So I was just doing a new thread then giving up, came back later and tried again. Finally got it, but no idea how haha.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, not changing pain meds yet.

Fruit,prune juice, stool softener, metamucil 3 times, milk of magnesia twice, and a suppository last night. Doc comes in tomorrow and will address. I wanted 4 dulcolax, they don't use it at this facility. Doc can order it.
 
The intense PT involved me sitting on side of bed, work to get heel down, then at my own pace slide foot back to increase bend. Next, stood and used walker to get to chair 13 feet away, sit, and same thing: get heel tothe floor, slowlyrics slide foot back. All that took half an hour, I had to stop and BREATHE quite often. Made it to 70 degrees, and could hold that for 90 secs. Wiped me out for the day!
 
How about miralax. That seems to help constipation. You are doing well so for for your ROM. In the beginning I was wiped out just getting to the bathroom and back.
 
Just spent 45 minutes in pain. Nurse said my pain meds are not written for every 4 hours, and they are not written for giving when I am not in pain. I had a friend in to visit (1st visitor) and did not write down time. So when nurse came in with meds at 8:15 I thought we were good. Less than 10 minutes later I had extreme pain and called her in. Meds were a half hour late.

Now I am ok,wiped out but no pain, going to sleep.
 
I asked my nurses to bring pain meds when they were due and not wait for me to call for them. I used to do that for all my patients if they wanted them brought around the clock. It actually made it easier for me so I could plan ahead.
 
My nurses brought me my pain meds---both in the hospital and in the rehab ward, like clockwork. The understood the need for the pain meds to be taken ahead of the pain,
 
My 4-6 hour pain meds were as needed. They always asked pain levels. I think I answered with numbers between one and three.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Doesn't it feel great to get your hair washed! My sister helped me do it in the kitchen sink at about Day 5 and even though we made a mess, it lifted my spirits so much - I even put on some pretty earrings :heehee:

Sorry your pain got out of control earlier, and happy to hear that ended. I did find that it takes longer than you think it will to work if you have delayed or missed a dose. I also recommend Miralax, and prune juice, and even a mild laxative if needed. Once you cut back or stop the pain medication, the constipation should improve, but you can't do that yet.
 
New issue. I refreshed the water in the cryo cuff put it back on. The metal got cold and I was in pain. Removedo cuff and in a very short time all was well.

Why has this just started to happen? And what do I do? Leg very swollen so I need the ice.

The thermos part gets ice each morning, this started at 11 pm, so I can't say it's full of ice. Ace bandages came off 3 days ago so that's not it.
 
Wow, you had a rough start!!!
Please be sure to set your boundaries for PT and get your meds on time!!
We all have had more conversations here about getting the Poop Fairy to visit (or get the heck out of here!) than we ever imagined before surgery!!
Being real is one of the many things that make this such a valuable resource.
I also have to say I LOVE your shirt!!!!!
 
@Freedom, Glad to hear your issue with pain has improved. I'm into my 7th week after my RTKR , I still take Tramadol 4x daily. Tried cutting back, found out I'm not quite ready yet !! Can't take anything else, but I'm doing OK with just the Tramadol as long as I rest, elevate & ice a few times a day. I found that warming up the prune juice seems to make it work better. I do that every evening and also take Miralax if the prune juice alone isn't helping enough. You will see little improvements along the way, the tough part I found is having patience with this recovery day after day. In a few months we'll be enjoying the summer !
 
I am so mixed up and confuse.

Doc came in said my meds are Not scheduled and he won't schedule them for every 4 hours. He will for 3 times a day. He said I am 5 days post op and I don't need them every 4 hours anymore. Hello? So I said leave them alone and I will set my alarm for 4 hours. He said he doesn't want me doing that. He said I won't need the oxycondone after tomorrow. Where is this coming from? This is not what I was told in my joint camp.

PT said I am spending to much time in bed, I have to get moving. I had 1 hour this morning which included me getting washed and dressed myself, then walker down the hall to pt room. Sat in chair and worked on pulling leg back, got to 78 degrees. Next walked walker to the pt bathroom, got onto tub chair and slid in to tub , rest and out to pt toilet practiced sitting on that, walker back to my room. I insisted ongoing to bed and sleep after all that, they really did not want me to. But I'm in bed.

Nurse said when I start to feel some pain, that is when I should ask for meds. I said at that point it takes 50 to 60 minutes to get it under control.

I feel like I am fighting them every step. And I am back to living in fear of the pain.
 
Sandie, I want a bionic t-shirt. That is too cute!!

After my first TKR I occasionally found my ice machine to be "too cold". I am not so familiar with cryo-cuff, but isn't there a knob to adjust the temperature?

As for pain and mobility, everyone reacts differently- I was walking multiple laps of the orthopedic ward by my second post-op day and went home on the third. I had a generous prescription for Percocet but started cutting back the day I left the hospital because opiate side effects suck (for me).

How long will you be in rehab, and why are you there? Do you have other health issues or mobility problems? There's no one at home to help out?
 
Sandie, it's time you went home from that place! How much longer are they wanting to keep you?
They aren't doing you any good at all.

I'm sure you could manage at home now, as long as you keep the pet sitter coming in to look after the animals.

Is it the doctor in the rehab unit who won't prescribe adequate pain medications? If so, surely your own orthopaedic surgeon has a protocol that allows for better pain coverage?
If not,, once you get home, your own doctor may be more sympathetic.

Keep on insisting that you rest, and refuse to let the PT hurt you. I'm sorry, but you're going to have to continue to be vocal and to stick up for yourself.

By the way, when you have your follow-up appointment with your surgeon, do let him/her know that the rehab place is not following what you were told at joint camp would happen.
 
Clipless, I ordered the shirt from Zazzle.com You can personalize. On the back mine says TKR TOUGH! !! I neededit something fun to help me get through this. I packedit in my rehab bag.

I am in rehab because I live alone with my Baker's Dozen, 8 cats and 5 dogs. I don't have any support. And I know I am a terrible patient,moaning and groaning. I do not coach myself well for the PT either. I would be in trouble if home right now, meal prep would do me in--and I love to cook.

I want to be in rehab as long as possible and advance here as much as I can. My surgeon said 1 week for sure possibly 2. My insurance only approves 5 days at a time.
 
That's a double handful at home, for sure. I only have two, and they are always underfoot.

I'm looking for a Bionic Woman shirt with the tagline, "We can rebuild her."
 
Did you want the knee image on it? Get the one I got, tag line put on front, back can read bionic woman.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom