Guest viewing is limited

THR Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @pottergirl.....I've had the same with the knee on operated side since my op......I've done physio,hydrotherapy, etc & still no relief! My pain is down the front of my knee and to the right side. I saw a private physio two weeks ago who believed it was my very bad gait pre op...she did so e deep tissue massage which hot rid of the stiffness but still hot the pain on weight bearing.
I'm getting rather fed up with it as my hip is perfect......!! I'm waiting for my year check up at the hospital ( I'm hoping I get one!) and will talk to the surgeon.....hope yours gets better......I'll be interested to see what Josephine says! Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Hoppy Nanny ...it is annoying isn't it? For me it comes and goes, if I try to walk really straight it is better but when it comes it lasts for a while and really hurts. It sounds very similar to what you describe in the knee.
 
Absolutely....it's better when I try to keep my knee straight too......it's worse when I'm 'museum walking' around the shops...better if I'm striding out....it is very annoying!! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
By the way...I love your pottery...it's fabulous! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I am wondering if walking with a light ankle weight would help.

I would strongly recommend against this for anyone, but especially for someone recovering from joint replacement.

The risk of injury while wearing ankle weights is far greater than any benefit that you might receive. Ankle weights interfere with normal motion. This will impede your ability to achieve a healthy, natural gait and increase the risk of injury.
 
You might try a stationary bike (upright, not recumbent). I had a little twinge in the knee for a few months after THR. One day, I was pedaling away on the stationary bike and my knee let out this POP! And then it was fine and never gave me another moment's trouble.
 
No it most certainly wouldn't! Walking is okay but in moderation.
 
The reason walking in water is recommended is that it tends to be very easy on your joints (providing you don't overdo it, of course!). There is the resistance as you move but also the benefit of "support" for your body from the water.
 
Hi all it's been a little while and I am feeling pretty good. Most of the aches and pains that plagued me have gone except of course for stiffness. I bought a cycle trainer so I can ride my bicycle like a stationary bike and my knee pains went quite quickly away.

So this happened today...I accidentally crossed my op leg at the ankle over to reach a shoe to slip on and had the most intense pain shoot up in my op thigh on the inside. It lasted just a few seconds, I carefully settled back and made sure my toes were pointing forward again, and it passed but scared me! It's been 5 months and my restrictions were lifted, I have been very careful but as time goes by one forgets. Was this a warning I wonder?
 
Hi @pottergirl , that's a nice new Pic with you and the dogs. The bike sounds smart!
I am at 5 months, and am still stiff upon standing. Other than that, all good; walking 3-5 miles a day.
Sometime I wonder if that is too much ; ie, am I shortening the lifespan of the implant?

I have not had a pain like you have. I await other responders....
 
You can still have pain after restrictions are lifted. Lifting them just means you are free to explore more normal movement. The pain you felt was your body saying it's not ready to do that motion quite yet. Don't worry! Just don't do that type of crossover for a while. After some time, you can test it out again.

Remember that walking is the best exercise for a new hip. As you get stronger and your muscles get back in shape, you'll have fewer times that you experience those pain jabs.
 
That's a good 5 month report @pottergirl.....that 'ole stiffness does go away...eventually!
Your body tells you if it's not ready to perform an action ...those tight muscles were not ready yet....I found it took nearly a year for complete ROM ( I'm one year today!) x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Was this a warning I wonder?
Not a warning - just as Jamie says - you haven't moved that way in awhile. Wait and try again another day. Muscles and soft tissue are just complaining.
 
I am 7 months out and went today to get my 6 month post op xray and get my left knee rescheduled. Loved being able to bend at knee and lay the leg out to the side like indian style and was able to put the leg all the way down ! Still have stiffness at times but most of the time I forget about it. Now time for the left knee, should be in the next 6-8 weeks. Wishing you continued pain free days!! @MajorHeidi Claire sounds like things are going well there for you,keep it up and watch for my new knee date!!
 
Oh @mystikfairy61 Donna, not so fast with me.... check out my update today on my thread.
Quite the depressing bummer.
I will watch for your knee updates, let me know when you get a rescheduled date!
xo
 
Hi all, here's my 10 month update: things are going pretty well, I am back to doing everything I used to do with minimal discomfort. Yes, I still get pretty achy after a long walk or work in my studio but I expect that's pretty normal. All in all I feel like I have adjusted to the new me. I had a fall a couple of weeks ago, and it was a doozy! I missed a step up on a sidewalk and planted myself face first. It happened so fast and I didn't hurt myself....except for embarrassment but I was pretty shaken afterwards. I think that is just lingering effect from having a fall start this whole journey for me. Anyway things are pretty good, I do look in from time to time to see how everyone is doing and I hope you all have a great new year!
Jacqueline
 
Oh wow, so glad you weren't hurt by the fall. I would imagine that would shake you up quite a bit. I still step cautiously on wet pavement.

Good to hear how well you are doing with your hip. Minimal discomfort is such a blessing compared to what you were experiencing a year ago, I'm sure. Here's hoping 2015 is a wonderful year for you :)
 
I had a fall a couple of weeks ago, and it was a doozy!
We have all had that first fall after THR - and it is always a shock. So glad nothing was damaged except your pride! Sounds like you are doing great! Long may it continue!
 
It's been eleven months since my accident, physically things are going very well I think. I'm walking every day with the dogs and aside from a bit of stiffness I don't have any pain. What I do have is anxiety... I had anxiety disorder in the past, over fifteen years ago but it has returned. I have been noticing that I'm reliving my accident and have some pretty irrational fears about getting hurt or sick which isn't really like me. (Aside from immediately after my accident when I was pretty loopy.) I thought I was dealing with it okay but I have had a couple of really bad panic attacks and it just became clear that I need a bit more help with this. I Just saw my GP and she has suggested a low dose anti-depressant and while I am not happy about taking meds I will do what I have to to get better. She says it isn't surprising considering the type of injury I had. I'm a bit thrown by all of this, after my hip replacement I had the most tremendous feeling of gratitude and all my energy was positive and happy but over the last few months this has been slowly fading into the opposite. I'm sure I will be fine but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences like mine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom