THR Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be right @alexthecat I can't really see myself doing the stretches right now with my restrictions but the massage technique is exactly what my PT showed me last week. I will read the article again and see what stretches I can try. Thanks
 
You sound just like I felt the week before seeing my OS. I had several days of feeling wonderful...walking more and able to do things by myself. Then it seemed like I took a turn for the worse. I too was concerned that I had done something to my hip. It was so good to talk to the dr's staff about these things. It relieved so many of my concerns and then seeing the X-Ray was the best. I am still having issues at times but I can tell a difference on days when I ice and spread my activities out and rest more. Yesterday was not one of those days!! I think seeing your dr and being able to ask questions will be a good thing and once the restrictions are lifted then you will be better able to work on that area. Just keep that hip and thigh frosty as much as possible :)
 
Just got back from seeing the OS, he wants me to continue on restrictions for a few more weeks but showed me how far I can push it after three months. Glad to have cleared that up, he had me a bit worried last time when he said he wasn't going to remove that restriction. Once I explained to him that I am a potter and sit at the wheel he felt it would not be a problem for me, so I am relieved. He disagrees with the PT about my knee pain, he thinks it is more a muscle than the IT band, and wants me to continue massaging it and walk in the pool. Also I finally got to see my x-ray, no big surprise, I've seen enough of them online but I had not seen mine before today.
 
Okay, this knee thing... I'm pretty sure it is the ITB. I have massaged the knot out of the top of my knee and while the muscles in my thigh feel a bit looser, the pain in my knee is still there, it shoots down the outside of my knee. Also I think it is originating up very high in my buttocks because there is a nagging ache there as well. So, I looked at the exercises again and I can't figure out how I can work on it when I have these precautions, even the foam roller looks ominous. @alexthecat , any other suggestions? I do have a small roller that I can use to roll on it from above, instead if laying on a foam roller, I'm thinking the idea is to loosen it.
 
You could try using a rolling pin on the tight or achy spots. Or a tennis ball. I've heard of people doing both.

I don't know of any ITB stretches that do NOT involve crossing your legs. Maybe @Pumpkln has some ideas.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Quick update on the pain in my knee. After a couple of days of massaging and rolling with the little roller, as well as making a point of icing and elevating...it seems to be a lot better. My daughter bought tickets for us to go see some gardens in our town and we spent this morning walking around enjoying the beautiful gardens, some of which were quite steep. I passed on one which was steep grassy slopes ( too slippy) but some of the others with lots of stairs were just gorgeous! I'm happy to report that I came home and iced and elevated and I feel pretty good! I hope it doesn't hit me tomorrow too hard but I'm prepared for it.
 
I've read with interest and empathy your threads from the last few months. You will see that I also suffered a femoral head fracture, thanks to my dog wrapping her too long leash around both ankles. ER OS recommended a hemiarthroplasty, which really wasn't the best choice based on my heavy work load and activity level. Perhaps I over-did, but still believe a THR would have served me better. My revision to THR WAS done following 9 months of pain and MANY MENTAL recalls of my fall (I hit my head fist, but that hard thing didn't beak my fall enough to absorb the impact on my hip). I think of it less now that I'm focusing on my second recovery. I still have a fair amount of pain and discomfort on the lateral side of my thigh which travels to my knee, then kind of a numbness to the outside of my calf. I know I go on and on, but I think it's just a prime example of the comment I hear over and over...every experience is different. Though most of the glowing recoveries seem to come from planned THRs, I do think with time, a year or two, and you'll be among the folks here who don't give their new hip a second thought. I hope I'm there, too! I am reading up on UTI through the forum. In my 56 years, I never had one. Now, they crop up frequently and I always blamed it on the catheter. Hmmm... More research. I am trying very hard to get off any prescriptions and would prefer something more natural.
I also love the idea of the rolling pin. I used one before my revision for thigh pain, but think I'll figure out a way to roll it over my trochanter. Good luck everyday and know that there are still going to be days when you just need to do nothing...hard, but better than the consequent.
 
@elliemom thanks for your words of encouragement. It does feel a bit like I am whining when I write about my aches and pains after THR, compared to most on this forum who are so happy to finally have relief for the pain they had to endure for years before even getting a new hip. It does help to know there are others with similar experiences to mine. The other thing I am realizing is that the memory of the trauma seems to be a familiar one as well. This last weekend I sat down with my husband and talked through all the events of the three days in order, so he could fill in the blanks for me, my recollection was all over the place. I just found out that I woke up during the second surgery (I had a spinal), when I thought that particular memory was in the recovery. No wonder it was a memory that was haunting me. Anyway, now that I have a better understanding of what happened I am feeling a lot more like I can get past it. The memory of the impact still haunts me and probably will for a while but not as frequently. As far as your UTI goes, I have had the best luck with making sure my gut flora was well balanced by continuing with the probiotics. I just read a study that sauerkraut is the very best source of good bacteria you can get, if you can stand the taste LOL.
 
@pottergirl. Oh my...I cannot fathom waking up during surgery. That just should never, ever happen!
Just as a failed post op IV for constant pain management should not happen. Wherever that IV was supposed to be wasn't and the medication was going between my shoulder blades, not my hip. Finally after at least 12 hours, they gave me oral meds to help. What part of "it hurts" don't they get? Anyway, I hope you're having a good day.
I'll try some sauerkraut...but it might have to be in a Reuben.
 
@pottergirl …Hope you are doing well. I experienced a fall as well and broke a few parts of my hip. The memory of my fall is still clearly there, but I don't feel down about it anymore. Hope your recovery continues to be uneventful, and your back to doing many of the things you talked about in your opening post. :)
 
I mentioned my knee and lower back pain again during my hip physio class and the PT wants me to come in on Monday for a one on one session to try and work out what is going on. He did show me a stretch I could do for the IT band which doesn't involve crossing my legs and I am doing that one, but he thinks it is more likely the SI joint is the real cause of my discomfort. I have been using my Tens machine on the spot and that is doing a lot to relieve the pain and I guess I will see on Monday if I learn anything more. For now it seems to come and go.
 
It's been a while, I did manage to get some relief from the IT band and SI joint issues I was having. I had an extra session with the physical therapist and he showed me a couple of exercises I could do to strengthen my glutes. I also spent some time massaging the IT band and that helped a lot. So the pain I was having radiating into my knee is much better. It's the three month mark and I was expecting to be a bit better than I am, I do have good days but I seem to have just as many off days too. I think I had it in my head that 12 weeks was some sort of magic time when I would suddenly be walking around without any limp but that is just not the case. Something I have noticed recently, if I sit for any length of time I am so stiff and achy when I get up, I need to do a lap around the house to get warmed up. We are having a nice hot spell right now so it's not too hard to rest, I don't feel like doing much when it is 30 degrees c out there. Hope everyone is having a nice summer.
 
Hi all, I am happy to report that I am doing so much better! Yes I am still stiff, yes I still get sore...but I feel like I am making a lot of progress. I managed to get my kiln fired the other day. I had a lot of pottery made but not glazed before my hip fracture, and I finally got through the lot and it turned out pretty good, I'm pleased. Now to see if I can get the pictures to load....
[Bonesmart.org] Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

[Bonesmart.org] Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later
[Bonesmart.org] Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

Success! I hope the full image is okay, if not I will change back to thumbnails, admin. This is what I do and I am hoping to be back making more pots soon.
 
I do, I put them in a few local shops and have a couple of studio sales. It doesn't pay the bills but I love doing it.
 
@Josephine
I've just been to see my GP because of a lot of pain in my op side knee when I lift my knee or bear weight. It comes and goes. This is an ongoing issue I've had for a while with a number of suggestions as to what is the cause including the SI joint and it band. Several stretches seem to relieve it periodically but my GP says it is referred pain from the hip flexor or iliopsoas muscle. She says the best exercise is to walk in chest high water in the pool, but I'm not a water lover and at the end of summer most pools are closing for a couple of weeks. I am wondering if walking with a light ankle weight would help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom