THR Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with @alexthecat that it is probably a litigation mitigation. My OS said no running, jogging, or jumping.
I think that is doable.... The more activity that is pounding causes wear and tear and cuts down on lifespan of the
implant.
 
The visit to the GP was good. She explained to me why the repair failed, not only was the femoral neck fractured but the head crumbled and dislocated on the first night. She also completely eased my mind regarding the comment my OS made about the 90 degree rule and feels that I should be adhering to that rule for now and with the proper physical therapy it should be no problem. So I am relieved. :)
 
Glad your GP was able to make you feel more comfortable with things..... take care!
 
@pottergirl Can't offer a lot in terms of witness that you'll be back to all you once did because I'm only Day 10 post-op and hoping as you are. Did want to say Welcome, though, and assure you that the wonderful folks here will give you lots of their time, support, info and encouragement. It's already been an invaluable resource to me. Cheers!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm shocked at how tired I get sometimes! Today I went out shopping with my daughter for 2 hours and while it was really great to be out, I was so wiped out when I got home I slept for two hours. It's a good thing though, I keep trying to nap in the afternoons but usually don't sleep, I just lay there and think .... my mind doesn't want to shut off. But today I guess I wore myself out enough getting in and out if my daughter's little car that sleep came very easily.:heehee:
 
It's not that surprising that you would still tire easily. Most people experience post-op fatigue after THR. You have a double dose because of your back-to-back surgeries. Plus, you have the trauma of your injury. Your body has been through a lot and I'm glad you're giving it a chance to nap, even if it doesn't always want to.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
It's been nearly six weeks now, and I have been feeling pretty good most days. This weekend our daughter and son in law brought our two grandchildren for a weekend visit which cheered me up so much! We didn't really do much but visit, and my daughter helped my husband finish the little part of the garden that I was working on when I fell and fractured my hip. It looks so good and I am so happy it be able to look at it now! But... Oh my goodness am I sore! I didn't think I was doing too much and everybody was pitching in, but apparently I have overdone it. I feel a lot more comfortable on my bed when I am resting or reading, but when there is company I felt I like I should sit in chairs and I am pretty sure that did me in. That and too much walking... I needed a couple of days where I felt a bit more normal but now I am ready to rest, rest, rest again!
 
You're doing the right thing.....slowly, slowly, slowly....you'll get there. I'm happy to hear you had a nice weekend visit, though. Those types of things can do wonders for our spirits!! And that's have the battle of recovery.
 
Sounds like a great weekend @pottergirl. It's great your garden is finished and hopefully you can enjoy it in the sunshine. I, too found the sitting down a killer, everything stiffens up..... But that does get better over time. I found a days rest after too much activity helped a lot. Sounds like you are doing well though. Enjoy your rest day. Chrissie x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@pottergirl , it's very easy to over do things when you get out of your normal routine. Rest and try again. Recovery is all about finding your limits and energy level. Stamina is huge factor. Plan a rest day following an active one. Pretty soon the rest days get shorter and shorter.
 
@Jaycey you are right! I'm pretty sure it was the sitting that did it! I am trying to keep the 90 degree rule in mind but I think I pushed it a little too much. Scary pain in my thigh upon moving the leg at all and especially when weight bearing, but after a good night's rest I am feeling much better. Note to self.... don't do that again! I have been lucky to have my husband working from home and doing all the 'heavy lifting', including picking up dog poo, but he is out of the house for a couple of days for work next week and I am on my own for some of the time. I picked up a 'poo picker-upper' so that part is covered. Hopefully the dogs and I will all just be laying around, enjoying the sunshine. We said goodbye to my daughter and her family this morning, so feeling a bit sad, but I think a trip to Calgary when I am fit again will be in order. Something to look forward to.
 
@pottergirl do you know about the golfers reach? Extend your op leg back and bend your non-op knee. You don't break the 90 degree rule.
[Bonesmart.org] Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

You can use this method to pick up anything light. Be sure you have something to support yourself on before you try this. I had to get really good at this when I had my spinal surgery, so by the time I had my THR I could do it without support. Now I use this method all the time.

A trip to Calgary sounds like a great goal for you! I spent a summer years ago back packing around that area. Great country!
 
Thanks @Jaycey , I do know the golfer's reach, but it is good to be reminded, I was starting to get a bit lax as I was feeling more limber. I am taking today as a rest day and will try to not exceed my capabilities further! Besides it's raining out and the dogs and I would rather spend the day In bed watching movies. But seriously, I am trying to heed all advice given. I don't want to feel that pain again.
 
Ouch! I am having a pain in my upper thigh which is troubling me. After my weekend with the family and too much sitting, walking etc. I experienced a pain in my upper front thigh which is troubling me. It hurts when I bear weight like a sharp pain and again when I lift off my surgical leg. What is strange about this is that after a few minutes it seems to subside so I think it's just something tweaked and I forget about it. But in the last few days it has happened more frequently usually after I have been sitting or lying down. It feels like I am loose and just need to get my weight placed properly over my foot. So frustrated, and feel like I'm going backwards. I'm not swollen at all, as a matter of fact I seem to have a bit of a dent in my incision. I have a PT session today and I am going to mention it to my therapist, I don't want to aggravate something. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
 
Hi @pottergirl - there is much inner healing happening under your incision and surrounding muscle and soft tissue. THR's are big complex major surgeries and it takes time to heal and the body is very much in charge. Slow and steady honey, don't try to do too much :) here is an an article for you..

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
@pottergirl. Hope you are feeling better now....do let us know how you are getting on...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hey all, still here, me and my dead leg LOL. I have to say I am looking forward to a time when I feel like I don't have this heavy appendage when I wake up in the mornings. I've been getting in a few nice long walks, we are lucky to have some long dike trails here which are not hilly (unlike the neighbourhood I live in) so with the lovely weather I am getting some good exercise. I feel like I am at a bit of a plateau, I got much better fast and then stuck in the same place for a while, that is probably my impatience kicking in. My PT is recommending telescoping walking poles, anybody here using them?
 
Hi @pottergirl. So glad you are doing well & getting some good walks in. The stiffness goes on for some considerable time (sorry) but does go eventually.....!! After about 8 weeks the improvement does plateau ...I found I then measured the improvements in weeks, not days......!!! The Nordic walking poles are great, used them quite a lot....@poppet has written a great article in the library about them. Hope you continue to recover well....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom