Guest viewing is limited

TKR Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sarah, that is wonderful news. Well done you are doing so well. You will feel so much better when you've visited the barn and your horse. Take care. Keep up the wonderful work you're doing. Jenny :SUNsmile:
 
Today is my first day alone during the day - and so far so good. I have been absolutely blessed to have family support up until now, but I must say it was amazing to be able to doze off in front of the tv this morning to catch up from my tossing and turning from last night. I also like the fact that just because it's noon, I do not need to think of eating lunch if I'm not yet hungry.

I'm about to do my exercises for the day and hope today's extra stiffness will dissipate.

kimejen, Jenny - how are you feeling these days?
 
Hi Sarah I hope you do make it to your barn...nothing like familiar sights sounds and smells to encourage us and lift us to the place we will be in a few months time. Keep on track you are doing great.
hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Sarah, fantastic progress. I am so pleased to hear that your physio session was less intense.
It will do you good to have some horse time, the smell of horses is wonderful, warm and comforting and they are so loving. I hope you get there at the weekend as it will give you such a boost.
Sounds like you are taking being home alone in your stride. You had such a tricky start post op and now you are flying along.
I am so pleased for you.
Have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :yes!: :yahoo:
 
Hi, Sarah. I am glad you had such good support. I understand how you feel about being able to set your own schedule though. I just pretended I was on vacation: if I wanted to watch TV, I watched TV. Crackers for supper--no problem. A mid-morning nap--why not. The only thing missing was the drink with the little umbrella. Was your horse happy to see you?
 
Hello Sarah, how are things going with you? I hope you are managing to get some more rest and maybe even some sleep.
Take it gently when you are home alone, resist the temptations of the over did it club. There are always seductive salespeople offering free membership. Don't listen to them whatever you do!
Have a good evening and sleep well tonight,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :heehee: :egypdance:
 
Thanks Toothfairy for the reminder to take it easy when I'm here alone. So far, so good. I have managed to load the dishwasher and start to clean out the refrigerator, but have honestly spent a great deal of time catnapping and watching mindless daytime tv. :ok:

I have PT today and will try to see if eliminating the bike will make a difference in my swelling and pain afterwards. I also need to ask about walking. I find I can manage steps around our small house without a crutch for the most part, but I know my gait isn't pretty. I am not sure if I should be doing this or keeping with the crutch for a better gait. I have had such an awkward gait for so long, I really don't want to have to spend so long retraining my body to walk correctly.

After PT, I'm heading out to stay at my mom's house for the weekend (my husband and kids are going out of town for the weekend). I am so excited to see the horses and spend time in the barn. I will do my very best not to get ahead of myself and end up in the ODIC and miserable.

I'll check back in soon - stay well friends!
 
Hi Sarah, how was your PT today? Did you get advice about whether to keep using crutches or whether it is ok to walk without them?
Have a wonderful time at your mum's this weekend. Enjoy seeing the horses. I am sure being in their company will do wonders for your spirits.
Look forward to hearing about your adventures,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
PT was tough today. It's been storming here so that may account for my added stiffness. We decided not even to measure today which I am thankful for. I spoke to the therapist about walking and we did practice with and without the crutch. She said to keep it when I'm tired or out in public, but to try and trust it and be sure I'm putting 50/50 weight through the crutch and the new knee. My walk unaided is still pretty awkward, but she said its not too bad. :yes!:
I did make it to my Mom's house and enjoyed about 20 minutes in the barn feeding my boy treats and giving face rubs. It felt amazing! The best part was that the uneven walk to and from the barn didn't do me in like it did before surgery!! Woo Hoo!! I'm sure I'll be out there more tomorrow if the weather improves.
Now if I can get a decent night's sleep tonight I may start to feel a bit more human.....
I hope all my knee friends out there have a restful night and a wonderful weekend.
 
Yea Sarah One more giant step to getting back to a normal life without being controlled by that knee!!
 
Just the picture of you rubbing your boy's face made me smile! Therapy for sure! Hope you can sleep well tonight as you won't be in your own bed, right?
 
Great news Sarah, real progress being able to walk over to the barn with less problem than Pre op then the wonderful reward of horsey cuddles. I love horses, they are such gentle animals and smell divine.
I am sure your boy was very pleased to see you.
That was good that you had a good physio session and were able to discuss how to progress with your walking. Always good to have expert input to reassure us that we are doing it right.
I hope you managed some sleep, maybe your horsey therapy will have helped.
Have a great weekend, hugs, Toothfairy x :dancy: :yay: :yes!:
 
Hi Sarah, how wonderful for you to be able to go see your horses! I'm sure they enjoyed your company & I can almost smell the hay as you describe your wondrous face rub!! What joy!! :SUNsmile: :happydance: :spin: :snork:
I think an incentive like that far outshines a droll walk around the block, or mogging around the house!
Hope you really enjoy the rest of your weekend - don't go making out the stables just yet though!!! :shocked:
Glad your PT went well, I gained a lot of confidence from my pt on just how strong my new knee was, I hope you get that too and give your favourite horse an apple from us bonesmarties! :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Thanks friends! This weekend was wonderful. I was surrounded by my amazing mom and dad in their home so that my husband and girls could have a weekend away from caring for mommy! It really was win, win. I was sure not to get myself a ticket into the ODIC by taking frequent rests and using my ice machine almost any time I was seated in the house.

Not only did I get to enjoy my morning tea with my mom (one of my favorite things to do on the planet), but we make a trip to Costco and learned they have the motorized carts! It took was was going to be a very quick trip to stretch my legs, into a full on shopping trip full of samples and fun! I was certainly ready for my ice machine and a rest with my leg up when we got home though!

Then in the afternoon, I went back to the barn for another visit with the horses. This time I felt well enough to actually work with my boy (Gadget). I got settled on the mounting block in what we call the playground, and my mom brought me my grooming tote, my carrot stick (looks like a whip with an extra long string, but is not used as one) and my horse on a 12 foot lead line. We had a wonderful play! Lots of treats and scratches were given, and we even worked a bit on some of the things we started before surgery. Boy I was ready for ice and a nap after that - which I enjoyed as much as the barn time!

Later that evening, I was telling my mom how my back/hip were tightening up and I was considering taking my muscle relaxer earlier than usual when she suggested I take half of one. I showed her how small my pill was and that I didn't think it'd split well and she became curious. She went to her medicine cabinet and got half of one of her muscle relaxers (I know, I know we aren't supposed to take medicine not prescribed to us). I was amazed at how much better it worked. I then took the other half at bedtime and actually slept fairly well last night!!!!!! Can you believe it?? I actually slept for several consecutive hours!!! Needless to say I'll be calling my doctor to ask for a change in prescription tomorrow. :heehee:

We woke up rather slowly today, ate an amazing breakfast of croissants and scrambled eggs and then went back out in the warm spring sun to the barn. Today's play with Gadget was even better and longer than yesterday's!! I actually felt more like a horseman than a person recovering from a TKR! It was amazing! He is such a sweet soul - it's hard to believe he's mine. He's almost 4 years old and just stood with me (again sitting on the mounting block) sniffing at my face and neck and lowering his face for lovin'. We again worked on several things and I really had him thinking and trying for me. There is no way I would have ever thought that just 4 weeks from surgery I would have my horse trotting circles around me and over barrels! :happydance:

As to be expected, the knee is a bit noisy about so much time down, but it's been well managed with ice, elevation and medicine. I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but to think that a decent night's sleep in my own bed tonight is a possibility puts a huge smile on my face.

This has gotten much longer than I planned, so I better stop now. Thanks friends for all your encouragement, and to all my friends out there here's hoping you have a restful night's sleep tonight and a smooth transition to tomorrow!
 
As I read your post, I imagine you beaming! How great to be with your loving parents, get in a good shopping trip, sleep well, and enjoy Gadget. He obviously makes you very happy. Makes a person feel down right human! I truly enjoyed reading your upbeat and enthusiastic post. Now, don't be surprised if all of that activity has tuckered you out and you end up a little stiff.
 
Indeed, I didn't sleep too well last night and find that I'm a bit still and out of sorts today. Oh well, it was worth it and I know a relaxing day full of ice and elevating will put things right again.

Off to see if I can catch a nap - feeling a bit sleepy again. :sleep:
 
Hello Sarah, what a wonderful weekend you had. :egypdance: :happydance:
Hope you are feeling better after a rest. Did you have any luck changing the prescription for your muscle relaxers? I do hope so.
You are making wonderful progress to be able to fit all that in to a weekend. I am sure that even if you knee has a grumble it was good for your soul,
Take care,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :goodpost: :yes!: :yes:
 
What a wonderful description you gave in regards to you and your horse! I could picture it and was a beautiful picture that brought a smile to my face :-).
Hope you had a relaxing day and you are feeling rested
 
Sarah, what an amazing weekend. That would have lifted your spirits enormously. That knee did so well with all the things you did at the weekend. I'm so glad for you, I could just picture how happy you were. Hope your family had a good weekend too. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom