TKR Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah, that all sounds terrific. Well done to you. I didn't realize that the US celebrated Mothers day the same time as in Australia. I know the UK is different. I hope you had a good Mothers Day. Hugs. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
HI Sarah, There's a lot on that list of accomplishments. Good job. I am glad your PT behaved, and I like your plan for how to strike a deal. I, too, overdid it this weekend. My garden was calling--lots of perennials to dig out and divide. So much fun, but my knee is not ready to shovel. Tomorrow is my last day before going back to work, so I will lay low. Take it easy.
 
Sarah,
I'm lingering over coffee in bed, iPad in the lap and catching up on BS. Just read about your PT visit and I can't believe they did that! To force the knee just seems wrong, and to do it when you had no idea they were about to seems doubly wrong. I'm so glad the last PT session was easier. How much longer will you be going to PT? My suggestion is you discuss the issue at your next visit - speak up and explain the distress this caused and that going forward you need for them to understand this. Enough time will have elapsed that you won't get emotional (hopefully) and can just be calm, friendly...but firm.

I have the kind of personality that hates confrontation....I run in the opposite direction :scary: But I have gotten much better at being my own advocate. It happens I think somewhere around age 50 :) you see, something for you to look forward to years from now!

Anyway, just a thought, glad you have a wonderfully helpful husband, and had a great Mother's Day!

Heidi
 
Hi gimps! I'm catching up as just had my op.
Knees ok but I don't feel great. I now so wish I didn't have that journey back to contend with!
I'm glad you are doing well now. You seem up and about and very together in your last post. It's interesting to hear about your pain meds as at the moment I feel I may need them forever!
Best regards to you and keep up the great work!
 
Hi Sarah. Just popped in to say hello and see how you were going. Having a young family you are probably busy. I hope all is going well with you and your knee is doing great. Take care and hugs to you. Jenny:friends:
 
Hi Sarah, I have just found your thread again. How are you doing?
I hope things are going well for you.
I am back at work now, only from last week. Already I feel like I have never been away.
I am delighted with my new knee and am working on my fitness in preparation for knee two.
Hope to hear how you are,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
Hello lovely friends. I've been away from the site for a bit and am just now checking back in. It's great to see that so many of you are doing well and returning back to life's activities and business. I am just ending my twelfth week, and am hanging in there. I honestly wish I was doing more, or felt more comfortable in my own skin again (when sitting, standing, or laying down), but each week brings improvements in my recovery.

Yesterday marked my first real grocery run since the surgery - Wegmans for more than an hour with 2 children and boy was it enough to make me both proud and sore. I came home and iced for a bit, then had to get back up and put it all away and make lunch for my ladies. The rest of the day was a bit slower as a result, and I had another restless night but it's still a step in the right direction.

I've not been to PT in a few weeks - it's been crazy ending the school year and getting into the new routine of summer mom and I've just forgotten to call and book the appointments. That comes with both good and bad news. I'm enjoying not having the pressure of the dreaded ROM, but I must admit, I'm not getting as much strength training either. I hope to find a better balance soon.

Almost at week 13 and I can say that it still limits me more than I want to admit, but I am now fully off all prescription medication (replaced with Tylenol and Alieve around the clock instead). I can ride our home exercise bike for about 25 minutes at a time comfortably and am now finally starting to be able to go up the stairs leading with my new knee (sometimes foot over foot!).

My frustrations are in admitting my limits. I seem to try to over plan what I can accomplish in a day and then realize a few hours in, that it's too much. I know this is a patience issue and I am working on it, but boy oh boy am I ready to hustle and bustle, work, care for a household, spend hours shopping or at the barn and sleep comfortably all night long.

Enough about me, I'm off to catch up on all the threads I've missed in the last few weeks.
 
Hi Sarah, So good to hear from you. Once the weeks start rolling by you feel you have to get back into the way life was before TKR, but it is challenging, and especially for you with a young family. You sound like you have everything under control. Stairs leading, sounds good to me. You'll eventually work out what works for you, and how to fit it in. My PT has me doing more strength work and it's difficult. He tells me to do x amount, so many times a day, but I just do what I can. I'm not going to hobble around because I've done too much. It'll just take longer, but so long as we work on it slowly, it'll come right. Just doing what we do in a day is helping with strength building too, so that's good in itself. Yesterday I knew I'd done too much because I just could not settle in bed last night. It'll take time but we'll get there. Take care Sarah. Hugs Jenny:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom