Guest viewing is limited

TKR Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a day of much needed rest and ice I can say I'm feeling much better! I had PT late yesterday and almost canceled it because I was still feeling off, but decided I'd go and just do what I could do. While I was certainly more stiff than in previous visits, I was a bit stronger and we didn't push too hard in anything. The hardest part of the session was the soft tissue massage (ouch those tissues are tender!) and the 10 minutes of compression and ice with my leg extended out in front of me (my poor hip was NOT happy).

I slept ok last night - in my usual 2 hour spurts but not so painful at least.

Today was my first follow up with my OS and it was great. He said I was exactly where he expected me to be and that all I needed to do was continue with what I was doing. :yahoo: He said he agreed that I should keep the crutch and maybe the cane until I can walk without a limp unaided. He also said that during surgery he had expected the amount of damage to my patello-femoral compartment, but there was "significant disease" in the medial compartment as well that did not show up on my pre-op x-rays. He said it was certainly time to do this now and that I should feel significantly better once over this early recovery phase. :dancy:

We discussed my back and hip and he also stated it was not at all uncommon with any major lower extremity surgery/injury. He prescribed a 6 day dose of very strong anti-inflammatory to see if we can at least calm it down and allow me some comfortable rest (fingers crossed that it does the trick!).

I won't see him again for 6 more weeks than at my 1 year anniversary. All in all an excellent visit! :snork:
 
Sarah, what a wonderful, positive visit to your OS. So glad for you. You're doing so well considering the other little things going on too. Take care. Jenny
 
Great news you OS is happy with you (and your knee lol)

I hope the anti inflammatories kick in quickly
 
Thanks all! When my husband came home from the pharmacy last night, I learned that the doc actually prescribed a 6 day does of Prednisone which is a steroid instead of anti-inflammatory. :shocked:Now I'm really hopeful that it will calm things down!

Now that I've resigned myself to sleeping with ice on my hip/back I seem to be at least more comfortable in my bed during my 2 hour nightly naps. It's a far cry from a good night's sleep, but since it's an improvement, I'll take it! :egypdance:

I forgot to ask my OS about pool therapy at my visit (darn it!). I have a small stitch poking out of the top of my incision and the OS said to leave it alone and it will push through when it's ready. Am I right to assume that I should stay clear of submerging my knee (bath or pool) until this has resolved and closed?
 
Hi Sarah,
I hope the steroids will soon be kicking in and reducing that inflammation.
You are doing really well. :)
As far as I understand you should avoid baths and pool until that has closed over. :sigh: :sorry:
I have a tiny bit that is not 100% healed and was cleared to swim yesterday BUT there is nothing sticking through and it is virtually healed. When I asked the question a few weeks ago when there was a stitch sticking through I was advised not to swim or have a bath.
Might be worth phoning and asking for advice or ask the physio to look at it and advise.
I have been reading a lot of your posts on other threads. They are so wise and offer great support. You are an angel! :angel:
Have a great day, hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance: :dancy:
 
Thanks Toothfairy, I had been reading about your open incision too which was what is making me wonder. I'm not yet driving yet, so water therapy isn't really an option right now anyway. Hopefully by the time I'm driving, the incision will have closed. My PT pulled the stitch a bit (which I strangely didn't feel) and cut it back so hopefully the skin will be able to close now.

Drum roll please......I was just measured at 116 flexion today!! I certainly don't have any specific number in mind, but it is fantastic to be seeing progress - especially since I am following the mantra to a T!! At no point has my PT pushed or pulled me and I can get to that bend without pain. :happydance: The human body is a wonderful thing!

I wish I could be so excited about the steroids and my back, but laying down at night continues to be quite painful and disruptive. I am only on day 3 so I've not given up quite yet.

I can now officially say, nearing the end of week 4, that things are really much better than they were a few weeks ago! I was initially a bit worried that I would not feel the improvement around weeks 3-4 that others have spoken about, but I do - I really do! The goal now is to keep to the mantra and keep out of the Over Did It Club (ODIC) now that I'm feeling a bit restless.

I hope everyone has a great day and those knees are treating you all well.
 
Hi Sarah, well! What a turn up! A splendid weekend followed by an excellent OS meeting! 116!! That's great!! It's such a nice feeling we get when we have an improvement & ROM is a very tangible way of getting confirmation of improvement even if numbers aren't important, the sense of achievement is!
Well done!!!! :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: :yay: :spin: :friends: :flwrysmile:
Hope the steroids kicking soon & give you a much deserved sleep. :puppysmooze:
 
That is brilliant news Sarah, your knee is coming on in leaps and bounds now. There will be no stopping you.
Good news that the troublesome stitch was trimmed. Mine improved dramatically after trimming, still not 100% but at least I know I don't need to worry about it.
Not fitted in a swim yet. I really hope the steroids will help to settle your back,
Gentle hugs, Toothfairy x :bicycle1: :flwrysmile:
 
Sarah, that is such good news. You really have done so well. I am so very, very pleased for you. You must feel so good about your achievements. Take care and have a wonderful day. :egypdance:
 
I am glued to my tv this morning as the manhunt in Boston continues for those responsible for the horrible tragedy at the Boston Marathon. I am honestly disgusted with how much terror two young man have caused. My heart hurts for all those affected and I am praying for the safety for the police and military trying to end this as well as the citizens of the city that are still in this monster's way.

Please hug your loved ones and friends a bit closer today - I know I will.
 
:angel: Yes, it's unbelievable that two men can terrorize an area of 1,000,000 people. I hope they catch him and anyone else who's involved soon.
turtle 68-2/20/2013
 
Good morning Sarah,
I agree with your post above, dreadful news both from Boston and from Texas. Both so terribly sad.
I was delighted to see your post on Kim's thread livinginfl saying that you have had some better sleep. Hooray. Things are getting there for you.
Any more trips planned to see the horses this weekend?
Whatever you do please enjoy it and have a fun day. Dreadful tragedies like these remind us to appreciate every moment of every day and cherish our loved ones,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:
 
Guess who slept last night...........ME! :yay: :yay: I mean, a wonderful, deep and comfortable sleep. I only awoke once at 3:30 when my husband came into the room (he'd fallen asleep downstairs). I realized I was a bit stiff and sore so I took my evening meds and then fell back asleep!! :happydance:

My head feels so clear this morning! My leg is very, very stiff but I wouldn't call it painful, and my back/hip are barely noted. I am assuming those steroids are finally working their magic and am hoping for more sleep in the nights to come.

I am hoping to visit the barn this weekend, but am still not sure it will happen. I hope everyone has a great weekend and those knees treat you well.
 
:goodpost:
Wow Sarah,
Congrats to you!! :dancy: :egypdance: :happydance:
I hope your day continues to be wonderful. If you make it to the barn, take some pictures, would love to see!
I think a happy dance is called for :dancy: :happydance: :happydance:
 
Wonderful news Sarah,I am so pleased for you,
Toothfairy x :)
 
Today is my knee's 5 week birthday!! I think I shall give her a session of PT a possibly a walk to the mailbox as a gift. :heehee:

I continue to sleep deeper and in larger bits of time. I am through with the steroid pack for my back and while it is not 100% it is better than it was a week ago!

I am experiencing a new pain that I thought I'd ask about here. I have significant pain along the lateral posterior side of my knee when doing certain movements. I am not sure if it's part of my hamstring, my IT band or something else (I will also check with PT today). When laying down on my back, or even sitting up with my legs extended, my right hip prefers if I rotate my right (surgical) leg so that my toes are pointing out to the side instead of straight up in the air. The pain occurs when I try to rotate my right leg back to center (so that the toes are up). It is a very hot, searing pain yet it doesn't last long. I have also started feeling this pain when trying to get into position laying on my side and even walking at times.

I know that I am in the angry tissue stage, and that the knee still has much healing left to do and I am not thinking I should be pain free at this point. I am asking about this now, because I am wondering if this may be tied to my low back and hip pain. I am so thankful that my knee finally has a chance to get stronger and better, but I am now growing concerned that I may have some hip issues that I didn't realize before. :groan:
 
Hi Sarah. So good to hear you are sleeping so much better. My body clock is waking me every 4 hr for paracetamol. I have missed them on ocassion to see how I'd go, but end up stiff and uncomfortable. So will continue for a while longer. It's my 4th week post op. Can't believe where the time has gone. I hope the discomfort you are feeling you are able to get an explanation for. I too get certain types of pain and it's not to do with the knee, it's to the inner part of my knee. I had a lot of pain in that area before the op, so don't know. Sounds like you're doing well except for these little hiccups, which I hope can be sorted out for you. Take care. Jenny :)
 
kimejen
Jenny - I too had a lot of pain on the inside (medial compartment) of my knee in the beginning. I was also confused because that was where the majority of my pre-op pain was. Both my OS and my PT explained that the majority of the work is completed from the medial side so the soft tissues there really a beating. They both assured me that most people complain of increased pain there and not to worry. I hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

I forgot to take my muscle relaxer before bed last night. :cry: I awoke at 12:30 in spasms and was miserable. I tossed and turned for a bit, read some of my book and finally came downstairs to allow my husband to sleep. After a fitful night, I returned to bed around 6:30 this morning and slept blissfully until almost 10:00!!

I have made an appointment with my chiropractor for tomorrow evening, and I'm hoping she can help me with my back issues. I haven't been to her in ages, so we'll at least have some catching up to do. :heehee:

I hope everyone has a great day today and the knees (new and old) are behaving!
 
Good to hear you are sleeping well. Makes a person feel human again. And congrats on your progress.

I have had pain in the back of my knee as well, lateral side. I used to feel it more, but now it really only hurts when I work on extension, and sometimes when I am biking. The worst is when I have been stretching or sitting for a long time with my leg straight and go to bend it. My OS thought it was the tendons readjusting to their new position. I was quite knock-kneed before surgery. He suggested heat, which is lovely. My back was aching quite a lot as well, but has mellowed considerably. I hope all of these collateral issues clear up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom