Guest viewing is limited

TKR Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah--so glad things are starting to get just a tad easier. So happy that the surgery is behind you and you can continue to get closer and closer to a pain free knee!! Keep us posted--it really does help the ones of us who are still on the other side! :flwrysmile: I really did love your "Gimpy" name but so glad that you are gimpy no more!!!
 
Now in technicolor!!

[Bonesmart.org] Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!



Oh, my gosh, that looks like the back of my leg did. Mine was technicolor all the way to the bottom of my butt!!
 
Admission: I was really hoping to be one of those recovering from TKR that do not experience any sleeping issues. :blush:

The reality is that I absolutely dread the evening time. I am tired, and may in fact fall asleep initially but within an hour my leg, hip and back are all so angry I cannot find any comfort at all. No amount of Benedryl, pain medication, ice, elevation, heating pad (on back/hip) or soothing music seem to help.

I think tonight I will try to actually get out of bed and really move around - like I do when I seem to stiffen up while awake to see if that can calm things down. I know it's all par for the course, and I was forewarned but I do need to admit, I am disappointed at this part of recovery. :boohoo:

I am anxiously awaiting my home health nurse to come and change my bandage and assess if my staples can be removed today or if we must wait a little longer. I have yet to see my incision and am curious to see how it looks. I am also hopeful that the staple removal will help that searing pulling pain along my incision when moving in certain positions.
 
Hi Sarah,
I think we all hope for a perfect recovery with no hiccups. You have had more than your fair share. Not sleeping is miserable for you and does not help to cope with the other challenges.
Have you discussed it with your doctor or nurse? Maybe they can suggest something that might help?
Did you get those staples out today?
Keep your chin up, you are doing well and being very brave during a challenging recovery. I hope things will soon get easier for you,
Love
Toothfairy x :console2: :sleep: :flwrysmile:
 
I hope you can get your staples out. It is one of those little milestones that lets you know you are moving forward.
 
Fingers crossed you get those staples out! Sleep is an issue isn't it? Haven't figured it out myself yet! If you get a plan by that works, let me know!! Hope you have a restful night :puppysmooze: :thud:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!
I'm so sorry to tell you, jetthugger, TIME is the only cure for the sleeplessness. And you have to have PATIENCE and let the TIME pass.


Notice how much of this recovery is TIME and PATIENCE? Can't get away from them---just have to grin and bear it. [Bonesmart.org] Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!

 
Sarah I had some real sleeping issues the first couple of weeks BUT it does get better! I remember in those early weeks roaming the house in the middle of the night as I was not sleeping ... it was hard!

You are doing good for where you are at! Don't get discouraged as this is not easy! Hugs to you! Take care!
 
Hi Sarah, how are you doing?
I saw your picture of your staples today, it looks great. Hopefully not too long till you get them out.
I hope things are beginning to get a bit easier for you.
Take care,
Happy Easter, hugs, Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
Hi there Sarah, those staples out yet? Hope so! I have a nasty rash where my sticky dressing adhered to my skin, so am taking antihistamines to try & reduce the urge to scratch!!! :hairpulling: Everything comes with a flip side huh? Keep us posted with how your getting on & hope those impressive bruises are fading!! Wishing you a long ubdisturbed sleep scattered with pleasant dreams :friends: :sleep:
 
Just a quick update from my phone since my laptop is upstairs and I am downstairs awaiting for my family to return with dinner.
I do still have my staples sadly and probably will until Tuesday or Wednesday when the home health care nurse can manage to come here and take them out. It is quite frustrating waiting on her really especially since I cannot begin out patient PT until she has released me. She has been out of town since my release from the hospital and had never responded to my phone calls (even early on when I was in tummy distress). I will certainly follow up with her agency once she's finished here.
I am still struggling with finding a comfortable position during sleep and generally toss and turn most of the night. Oh we'll, at least I am napping now so that helps some.
I am having some pains that I'm curious to share here in the event someone has some feedback. I have a very sharp and severe medial joint line pain when bending, extending and weight bearing. This is more than stiffness and if I press through it it becomes very painful for some time after at rest. It was were most of my pre-op pain was due to area of deep bone marrow edema in my tibial plateau. It is the area restricting my bend past 79 degrees and just doesn't want to go away. Any thoughts? My home PT was cautious and always avoided movements that caused me pain, but agreed that it would be great if I could get even more ROM.
The other is a cramp in my hamstring (also medially) that I can't seem to stretch. After I'm up and walking or lifting my leg on and off the bed myself a bit this muscle makes itself very known. If anyone has a stretch for this part of the hamstring that would be fantastic!
Ok, this is certainly more than I intended to type with my thumbs! Thanks as always for being there. I'll catch up with my laptop in the sleepless hours of this evening!
 
Good morning Sarah,
I have no suggestions or advice about your aches and pains. Hopefully someone will.
Your home healthcare nurse sounds appalling. No good at all. I am glad you will be feeding back on this once you are finished with her.
It is just nice to hear from you. Sorry you still can't get comfortable at night. Can you get comfortable during the day? I am just wondering if there is anything you can adapt from your day comfortable position to help you at night?
Take it gently, you are making progress.
I hope you can get more comfortable soon. Hopefully having those staples out will help,
Happy Easter, have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :flwrysmile: :console2:
 
Hi Sarah, is there any way you can contact your OS? If you are concerned, surely he would want to see you? I can't see how it is acceptable or you to only have one point of contact, who is also away till Tuesday? :shocked: You need support & reassurance now, not then! I hope you feel better today & the sharp pain you feel is temporary. I get plenty of strange & sometimes painful sensations & clunking, usually when I've swollen & stiffened up, they tend to go away eventually. :sad: Really hope you are able to reach out to someone to come & see you & deal with your concerns. :puppysmooze: :friends: :console2:
 
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Today is Easter and I'm sure it will be quite the full day. We usually go to my parent's farm house (about 17 miles away) for Easter brunch and the annual egg hunt, but my mom called early this morning saying she had been up all night with a fever and didn't want to subject us all to her germs. Plan B is now in place, and my dad (who's birthday is actually today) will be bringing all the prepared food and Easter goodies here and the family (minus mom) will be joining us at our place today. It's probably all for the best, because as much as it would have been nice to get out of the house for a bit, it wouldn't have been as easy or comfortable there.

Now I can stay in the comfort of my own home and enjoy all the family and fun around me. We had actually considered this initially, but didn't want to overwhelm my husband or MIL to think they had to do all the preparations themselves.

My sleep still seems to be interrupted by various aches and pains, and I think I'm going to try to sleep on the couch this evening. Although I have a bed and small recliner in my master bedroom, it's a very small space and I cannot get up and walk around much to stretch as needed. That and my poor husband could use a night in bed (he's been so generous and has slept on the couch since I've been home). Hopefully the couch will allow me to sleep a bit more comfortably on my side - at least it can't hurt to try!

Thanks for listening to my various woes and complaints. When I look back through my posts they really do seem very whiny and full of doom and gloom. While I have had a few hiccups along the road, I really don't feel like this is any more than most of us endure with this surgery. Thank you for all of your kind support and wise words - it means more than I can ever say!

I am very anxious to start outpatient PT. I like my therapist a lot and am hopeful that she can explain this medial pain I am having and help sort out my low back/hip alignment so that I can rest a bit more comfortably in bed.

I have been outside for brief walks the last few days and it's been wonderful! While I still use the walker around the house to keep a proper gait, I bring the crutches outside and then can take a bit of the pressure off if I've gone a bit too far or too long. Yesterday, I even managed to get on our semi-recumbant bike and push and pull my leg a bit. I am no where near a rotation, but it is a nice stretch. Soon, I'll be ready to join my friends with coach Fernie in training! :bicycle1:

Ok, well I've now spent enough time on the computer and I better go prepare myself for the houseful of family I am expecting.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter Sunday and they keep moving along in their recoveries. Thanks friends!
 
Hi Sarah, sounds like you have had a lovely day.
You deserve it.
You are not whiny and full of doom and gloom at all, you have had a tough time and you are sharing with friends who understand and want to hear. We are here for you and genuinely want to hear the bad as well as the achievements.
Great news about the bike. Don't worry about the rotations, they will come in time. I found it felt good to stretch on the bike.
Good news about your walks outside too, you are really coming along.
I hope you can get comfy and get some sleep tonight,
Take care, hugs, Toothfairy x :yes!: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
To be honest Sarah, it's good to get these things off your chest & who better to offload on than someone who has walked the same path so can fully empathise!! When I was at my lowest, 1st night after surgery & before they managed my pain, the two words that kept me & the lovely lady in the bed next to me going was "high heels" silly I know! :whistle: :heehee: Hope you get a decent nights sleep tonight & take it easy tomorrow!! :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Hi Sarah. You are doing so well, considering the few stumbling blocks along the way. Like Alison said, it's good to get it off your chest and sharing with friends who are on the same path. Makes you feel so much better. Have a good day. Jenny :friends:
 
Hello Sarah, how are you doing?
I hope things are improving for you. Hopefully not long now till you get your staples out.
Small steps add up, hopefully you will find this week easier than last.
Take care,
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :friends: :bicycle2:
 
Hi Sarah', just visiting your thread to see how you are. Hopefully, you will soon be staple free & good to go. How are the bruises? They fading yet? Best wishes & big hugs :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Well I have some milestones to share! :yay:

I am finally staple-free and very happy about it. The staples were removed 2 days ago and it was super easy. There was a tiny sting at times, but it was so quick and there was no tugging or pulling like with stitches I was surprised at how quickly it was done.

Now that I am finished with the home health care nursing, I started outpatient PT as well. Yesterday was my initial session and while I was exhausted afterwards, I did much more than I thought I could! I started with measurements and was at 85/4 for flexion/extension. Then after warming up (gently) and on my own, we finally measured to 95!!! (She thinks the swelling in the back is preventing me from a 0 extension currently but is not concerned about it.) The best news of all is that it didn't hurt! I was even able to do 2 unassisted almost-straight leg raises while I was there too. As I was leaving, I was fairly numb from the 15 minutes on the game ready machine and almost 2 hours of work she asked if I was comfortable to try one crutch. Sure enough - I was ready! She did warn that if I was starting to lean on that crutch too much or feel unsteady I should go back to both. Last night before bed, I needed both as I was pretty sore, but so far this morning while I am a little more stiff, I am not in any additional pain.

I must say I'm pretty excited because all of this feels like progress! While I was in PT, another patient was very polite and gave me many many compliments for doing so well just 16 days out of surgery. Her knee is a year old (and now fully recovered) and she was remembering just how difficult the initial weeks were. She also echoed what is said on this site, that the roller coaster of the first few weeks is rough but it gets better slowly but surely.

I also realized that despite all of my medication my low back/SI joint is still a major source of pain and aggravation. In fact, it is my back/hip that is keeping me awake all night. Just as soon as I can get my leg comfortable my back starts yelling. My PT tried to address this, but it is hard to do with the current limits of my knee. After another very long and miserable night I realized that maybe a muscle relaxer would help. I called my doctor's office and they were so wonderful. Once I explained, they did say this is common and I should have mentioned this before. The prescription is being called in today. Let's hope this will allow me finally to get some comfort while laying down!!!

All in all, I'm feeling very positive today!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom