BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

FiremanSam - need reassurance!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by FiremanSam, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's difficult to say exactly, but my personal experience has been that for a new patient appointment, you might wait for about 3 months. Then, when you get to see the surgeon and if he puts you on the waiting list for surgery, it could be another 3 months.

However, there is a run around if you prefer which is to see him privately for an initial consultation but then be transferred to NHS for any further treatment. In order to facilitate this, get your GP to order you xrays and then get copies of them to take with you on the private consultation. I've obtained copies of all xrays I've had for about 10 years!

The routine is this: first you tell the receptionist in xray that you want to get copies of your xrays. They give you a form to fill in. This goes to the radiographic computer administrator who gets consent off your GP for you to have the copies. (This is just a formality and unlikely to be rejected). When the cd-rom is ready for collection, the xray department will let you know and you will have to take along two pieces of ID with you which can be your photo driving licence and a utilities bill. You will also be charged a fee of about £10.

Good luck!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Hi, I had to lose weight before I was allowed to see a consultant and then he wanted me to lose some more. On the second visit he put me on the list. That was March 2018. My op is now July assuming it does not get cancelled. I put this off for ages and also walked and swam but the pain now is bad, sleeping is hard and I can’t stand up for any length of time without pain. So it is time! Best of luck and hope you carry on with your wor. You are obviously really dedicated :)

3. Ursula72

Ursula72 member

Hello fireman Sam. Yes the shock is terrible, but You will accept it as we all had to. I began to really look forward to my op...and I’m real glad I had it done. You’re on the right path...the path to freedom from pain. You’re a brave bloke

4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi there...
    Wondering if you've got this hip replacement ball rolling yet?
    Both of mine were replaced in May 2017 and I am back to doing my life in a big way.
    Well, a little too big.:umm: Unloaded about 5000 lbs of food...in 40 boxes yesterday and my back is complaining!:doh:
    But Hips...Good! No limping...no chronic OA pain, no ongoing sciatica...it still amazes me every day.:tada:
    Hope you have decided to get this over with so you can get back to your life!:yes:

5. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

@FiremanSam I hope 2019 is better for you and did you go ahead and get on the waiting list? I had the surgery done in July and now have no problems sleeping on my side or driving. I had to wait a long time for surgery so my hip was really bad and recovery slow due to muscles relearning what they need to do. but getting there now. It was worth it.

• Like Like x 1