Guest viewing is limited

FiremanSam - need reassurance!

Can anyone recommend any movements to ease the pain??
Unfortunately the only thing that will ease this pain is THR. I would urge you to find a surgeon who specialises in younger, active patients and get this done. The longer you wait and more impact all this pain and limping around will have on other areas of your body. Worst case, your hip will collapse.

As Layla says, most of us returned to doing all the activities we enjoyed before all that pain set in. Get this done now so that you can enjoy your dream job.
 
Hi @FiremanSam .....unfortunately as Jaycey said, movement doesn't really help when it's hurting......I'll backtrack a bit on that.....I had a spur on my right hip that made my hip stick so that I limped and couldn't quite stand up straight. Sometimes that hip really hurt, and then it would, for no apparent reason, go back to its usual dull ache. I eventually realised the stopping of the sharp pain was due to movement, but it wasn't one I could replicate to deal with the pain again (thinking of Josephine's analogy of a crumbling concrete step, sometimes fragments get in a sensitive area and hurt until they move to a a less sensitive place, but you have no control over where it goes). If you do exercises you have just as much chance of causing that to happen as bringing relief.

Can't help with pain meds, I never found anything that made a difference. Have you tried icing it, or maybe heat (dry or moist)....case of trying things and seeing what works for you. Hope you can find a solution you're happy with, it's too painful and disabling to suffer for longer than you need.
 
I love swimming - used to go every day until recently because things have got too painful even getting there. Swimming seemed to help loosen my painful joints, and the lack of pain while in the water was wonderful. However, I suffered for it afterwards!
 
FiremanSam: just met a fellow 'trainer' in my gym changing room and noticed a recent scar on the top of his leg. So I asked him whether he'd had a replacement. Turns out he's had both hips done, the most recent one being January. The other was done 7 years ago and went without a hitch. The January hip was a revision - the first time it didn't go well and the joint was loose. Anyhow, he's over the revision now and back in the gym. Don't think he's over 50, if that, and looks pretty fit.

I know how you feel, I was in denial too at the start. But I eventually realised I needed to embrace the idea that I will be hip-pain free and more mobile than I have been for 2-3 years after the procedure. Honestly, I don't quite know how I've managed to keep on pushing with the fitness regime. Whilst it's been worth it - had a resting heart rate of 49 at my pre-op, which I'm proud of - I'm now really keen to get the procedure done, and am expecting to bounce back better than ever after a couple of months.

Chances are you'll smash out another 15 years in your job if you get them done - but not such a happy prognosis if you hang on too long. I almost did that myself, so no judgement intended at all. Good luck with your decision making.
 
Love these encouraging comments.
Had my second X-ray of both hips
Done yesterday, one year on from initial diagnosis. Slight progression and consultants assistant says we will be lead on my pain and when I want to go for the operation.
IMG_7804.JPG
 
Happy Friday! @FiremanSam
I'd like to hear @Josephine 's opinion on your x-rays. It makes my hips hurt looking at them.
It looks like there's only a smidge of joint space on each side. But I'm not a medical professional so let's see what the expert, Josephine, has to say....
Hope you have a nice weekend!
 
Sounds like you can have things done when you decide. There's still often a few month's wait. Why not book a date?
 
Im at least 20 years younger than I was a year ago...promise!
 
@FiremanSam - we are close in age and I'm almost 8 months out of RTHR (ceramic on plastic). I was very active prior to surgery (to active I've now decided as I'm sure the daily amount of running/lifting I was doing contributed to my decline and condition). I returned to the gym after 6 weeks. I don't run any more (wouldn't anyway to protect other hip) but do 11 miles on stationary bike in 30 minutes along with 30 minutes weights and 30 minutes core 3X a week. This seems to be a good compromise for me. Like you I was working out right up til the day before my surgery. My main issues were the achiness was impacting my sleep, I had a slight limp at times, my knee was beginning to hurt. Until I had the surgery I didn't realize how much my body was compensating for my hip AND how weak my core had become as a consequence...
Point of my post is that I've pretty much returned to most activities although with moderation. Yardwork and all those other fun things are also done without issue.
Good luck in your decision process...
 
Another point I should have asked. After a THR can you still sleep on your side?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sure can - at first you may need to sleep on your back for a few weeks, and if you try to side sleep you'll need a pillow between your knees. Most of us seem to get back to sleeping on the non-op side first, and then the op side. I was comfortable on my non-op side at about 2 weeks, and op side at 6 weeks. Also depends on any restrictions from your surgeon.
 
Again appreciate the comments. If I really want a surgeon (Jon Conroy) to do my THR am I best paying to see him privately and then asking to be operated on via the NHS? Do I need my GP to refer me?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey there FiremanSam - I am very active and am wondering about my activities after surgery also. I was diagnosed with OA in both hips 2 years ago. But I still snowboard every weekend in the winter and waterski all summer. We also take long bike rides @30 miles on the weekends. I was taking Advil everyday and finally decided to get a prescription for Melxicam. The last OS I went to, after me telling him that I do stretches every night, decided to send me to PT to see if they had any stretches that would help which I am not already doing. I went to 4 appts. and got a 45 minute stretch routine that I do every morning and every evening. That along with the Melaxicam has enabled me to keep snowboarding and waterskiing. I have not gotten any worse these past 2 years. I can no longer do long walks, I was doing 20,000 steps a day and 8 miles hikes on the weekends, which I cannot do anymore. Standing while in lines is the hardest, but as long as I am able to snowboard and waterski and not taking anything but the Melaxicam has been okay for now. Until I can no longer waterski or snowboard, then I will have surgery. I have read others that can still waterski after surgery, it is the snowboading and falling that I am concerned with. People tend to run into me and knock me over and I do have trouble getting off some of the chairlifts and will fall - which makes me worry about loosening the stem and. Plus, it will take almost a full year of recovery to get back to those activities. So I am just holding the course for now.

I have not been able to cross my legs for 2 years, but heck, as long as I can still snowboard, waterski, bike ride, I am good for now. Even go ziplining twice a year - go figure!
 
If I really want a surgeon (Jon Conroy) to do my THR am I best paying to see him privately and then asking to be operated on via the NHS?
I've taken this route twice. The roadblock pre-RTHR was my GP. You will need a referral to your chosen surgeon even if you see him privately. Just ask your GP to refer you to him. You might call his medical secretary (private practice) first to confirm what they need to set up an appointment.

Then attend the private clinic and get his confirmation on the diagnosis. And ask to be put on his NHS list. The waits are horrid these days but you get the same op for a whole lot less money!

BTW - Conroy has fantastic NJR numbers. You will be delighted with the results. Just hope you can get on his list - he's a very busy guy!
 
but as long as I am able to snowboard and waterski and not taking anything but the Melaxicam has been okay for now. Until I can no longer waterski or snowboard, then I will have surgery. I have read others that can still waterski after surgery, it is the snowboading and falling that I am concerned with.

Hope that hip doesn't give out before you do.
Jaycey had her hip dislocate AND then surgery was inevitable.
Also said it was worse pain and worse recovery.
We will know when we are ready...I suppose.
Mine couldn't have made me any more miserable, so I'm probably jaded.
Plus, I wanted to sleep painlessly.
 
Last edited:
Ask your GP to refer you for a second opinion. Either privately in Leeds or as NHS directly to him at Harrogate. Either way previous x-rays will be obtained electronically by a secretary. Or you can go the way of private then NHS. You will get an appointment within a couple of weeks privately.

It’s worth remembering that the cancellation of elective surgery has created a log jam and increased waiting lists in the U.K. A friend in Kent had her January 2018 hip surgery delayed until December. She had it yesterday privately.
 
Just popping in to say hello AND wonder if you've had in progress in the way of resolving your hip pain?
Hope you have a distraction in the way of something fun to do this weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
Anyone know roughly what the NHS waiting times are now for THR if seeing a surgeon for the consultation privately??
My plan is to pay to see Job Conroy, but I haven’t got the money to pay for private surgery


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine is familiar with the UK system.
Hopefully she can help.
 
Back
Top Bottom