FiremanSam - need reassurance!

Just got my dream job as a recruit instructor so I need my hips to last me 2 years!!!! Any tips to get 2 years out of them? Not in pain but after standing on them or walking for a long time they ache and dull ache in backside


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
He has not been on since September. I think he is doing well.
 
Congrats on the new appointment.
My hips were problematic for about 2 years so here's what I did.
The OS said to me "stick it for as long as you can but you'll be back" and he was right ( after 6 months ).
They are not mad about it here but I found Glucosamine Sulphate and Krill oil helped for about a year. They are just OTC supplements. Then the merry go round of strong anti inflammatory pills and pain killers. Eventually nothing worked at all.
Could you accept the job then get the hips done ?
Your heading down a tough road.
Joe.......
 
As Joe says, there are no guarantees that your hips will last 2 years. They can go from tolerable to horrid literally overnight. And recovery from a hip that has collapsed is a bit more complicated. Any reason you can't get this done now and then enjoy your new job?
 
Sorry for late replies. @Jacey my concern is that I might not be able to continue with the career I love so I'm trying to protect myself a little and getting qualified to hell, which my new role will enable me to.
Also I don't feel that bad apart from after a longish walk or some heavy grafting.
I fought a school fire the other night, being on of the first teams in and was having to man handle the heavy hose around to extinguish the fire and then roll hose up at the end. It was only near the end that I started feeling it.
I've just purchased my x-rays and once I can get them online I'll post a copy.
Also cheers @IrishJoe for the congrats on new posting.
I was chatting to a family friend that has had life changing hip replacement and she recommended Mr Jon Conroy and absolutely sang his praises. She paid privately and advised to stay away from the NHS if possible. She advised if unable to afford private, which I'm not, I could go private and pay for it via a payment plan and for 2 I'd be looking at £15k!!! The wife wants me to get the best possible when the time comes so would be willing to go down this route!
I'm not so sure what to do


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Here is my X-ray

[Bonesmart.org] FiremanSam - need reassurance!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I believe some of the best surgeons in the UK operate through the NHS.
Heres a thing that some people do Here in Ireland.
Quite a few surgeons have Private and Public (HSE in Ireland) practices.
No Health insurance in Ireland means No Private care. My Hips were €33,000 + aftercare. some people find out a good surgeon who operates both, they then arrange to meet him/her privately and arrange to pay through the public system privately if you get me. In other words they get the surgeon they want but pay them for public instead of private.
Can you do this instead of going totally private. I know of someone who got there hip done for €6500 by this method.
Just a thought.
Joe........
 
She paid privately and advised to stay away from the NHS if possible.
This is just silly! You can indeed see a consultant for a private consultation and then get on their list for an NHS op. Same surgeon, same facility - no cost for the op. I did this with both THRs. But saying you should avoid the NHS is just ignorance. NHS care is fantastic!

BTW - I just looked at Conroy's number on the NJR - he's a winner! 293 THRs from 2015 - 2016. You want someone who does more than 200 per year. I imagine he will be hard to get an appointment with but if you go the route I did (private consultation and then on the NHS list) you will cut some of the time.
 
@Jaycey so I'd just pay for initial private consultation and then request the procedure via the NHS through my own GP??
Can anyone interpret the day??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Conroy has his own website. Just call this private practice number (he has 2) and ask what is needed to get a consultation. I had to get a referral from my GP when I did this. Then when you see the consultant you will pay for the consultation. Just tell him you can afford the private procedure and ask to be put on his NHS list. I had to wait 5 months and did quite a bit of calling to remind the NHS folks that I was waiting. But I had my named consultant and results were fantastic.
 
Hey FiremanSam!!! I had my hip done on April 12th. I left the hospital 2 days later walking with a cane. I got rid of the cane the next day. Now that's me and we r around the same age. Things are so much better! The pain I was having from bone on bone is gone! I do have some pain but nothing like it was. I hope this encourages you! And it's all about choosing the right doctor for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jacey @IrishJoe
Sam, when you tag someone, you have to make sure you spell the name correctly. Jaycey and Irish Joe are not how you put them in your post. As a check, when you've made the post, if the name doesn't turn into a link (blue and underlined) then you've not done it correctly!
she recommended Mr Jon Conroy and absolutely sang his praises.
One thing I always advise people - having one person singing a surgeon's praise is not a guarantee of excellence! It's just an opinion of one! However, Jaycey has shown him to be okay.
She paid privately and advised to stay away from the NHS if possible.
I agree with the others. It's quite ridiculous to dismiss the NHS like that. For one reason, nearly all the surgeons who work in private practice also work for the NHS. Secondly their work ratio is invariably 9 tenths NHS and 1 tenth private practice.
The wife wants me to get the best possible when the time comes so would be willing to go down this route!
I echo Jaycey - that's just daft!
Just tell him you can afford the private procedure
I think @Jaycey meant 'can't' here!

As for your xrays, both hips are in dire need of replacement. No doubt about it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
FMS-
At your age I would consider hip resurfacing rather that a total hip replacement.
Dr McMinn is one of the best in the world and based in the UK. You really need someone of that caliber for that type of surgery. Do not allow anyone without thousands of hip resurfacing's under his belt to do it.
-Jim
 
@jlm I didn't think hip resurfacing was recommended any longer??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Probably came from a THR surgeon.
There was talk of failures but I believe most were a result of malpositioning of components.
Supposedly it's a more technical procedure and requires experience and expertise, that's why I suggested McMinn.
The surgeon I'm considering has high 90 success rate and recipients with 18-19 year old components and still going. If you go that route be very selective. Worth at least considering since it spares your femur.
 
At your age I would consider hip resurfacing rather that a total hip replacement.
Unfortunately FMS's hip is too far gone for resurfacing. He just needs to connect with that high volume THR surgeon and get it done!
 
At the moment I get a bit of pain if stood up for long periods or walking a few miles, but I can cycle 20 miles with no problems.
As such I'm gonna carry on until I really start feeling it. I really want to settle in to my new role as a recruit instructor for a good year before having to consider anything.
I also watched a video of a hip replacement yesterday and it wasn't half as bad as what I expected. My Dad had his replaced years ago and they way he'd described it his leg ended up somewhere passed over his shoulder during the op.
The only disruption on my life I have at the moment is that I chose not to walk long walks up big, big hills anymore, which I loved doing and I'd love to be able to walk the Yorkshire 3 Peaks again at some point as it's an activity me and the wife loved doing together and it's the only thing I miss.
I have to admit as well that I'm very scared of not being able to carry on in my job as a fire fighter. I am unsure whether you can continue with both hips replaced. I know you can with a single replacement, but I've not seen any literature in the policies regarding both hips replaced and that's what scares me more than anything!! I am currently on the promotion trail and I accept that in 10 years time I may not be able to be up and down ladders and pulling casualties out of burning buildings, but fortunately as a good arch commander you are not expected to although still required the pass the same fitness test.
I also accept the fact that when I do have hip or hips replaced I won't be running all the time in order to ensure those replacements last the duration of my fire service career, but this site has been pivotal in showing me that if I needed to run I would be able to!!!
I've read through so many inspirational stories on here and I'm have to say it really does help. Folk like @IrishJoe and @sandyharman that have been there and done it and living their normal lives with no restrictions.
So from the bottom of my heart please continue to write your stories on here as it does make facing the inevitable easier.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom