Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fire wolf recovery<

The problem was not Polkadot's opinion about your leg, Fire wolf - it was that phrog moved the discussion, to talk about her own leg. It's easy to do, but it was disrupting your recovery thread.
Next time, I'll just move the off-topic posts to the other person's thread.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting
 
It's an easy mistake to make, @phrog :friends:. Now you know, I'm sure you won't do it again.
 
22 weeks of never ending recovery....

Bionic Spence has been a bit more unhappy this past week for whatever reason. I haven't increased any activity or added any exercise. I did have a significant amount of driving for work the past 2 weeks, so perhaps that is part of it. More stiff, swollen and painful than it had been.

I don't really like using the word pain to describe it as it is nowhere near what the pain was prior to surgery or in the 1st couple of months afterwards, but it is more than achy. There are times throughout each day when it feels fine, but no completely pain free days yet.

So not much to report. Eleven days away from my recertification in physical restraints, but trying not to think about it too much. I will be staying over the night before which will give me a chance to rest up and ice that morning. Also, will be able to add fresh ice to cooler so that ice packs should still be pretty frozen by end of day so I can ice on the way home.

I guess at this point in recovery I am just putting my time in. I wish I had fun and exciting stuff to report like so many others, and yes, I know that I shouldn't make comparisons, but I am only human. Hopefully mood picks up some in the coming days.
 
hi Fire wolf ~ just stopping in to say "hi" as i'm watching SNL (great opening skit and excellent and relevant monologue by pakistani actor that made a movie (the big sick) about his life. with all the driving you're doing i'm not surprised you have an unhappy knee. just driving back and forth to the pack walk on saturdays, not only tires me out but makes my knee unhappy for awhile. sounds like you have everything in order to prepare for your test. although you try not to think about it, it's there in your mind, and possibly causing you some form of anxiety. not much you can do about it ~ maybe try some distraction. oh yes, we all make comparisons. many would love to have your knowledge, physical strength, compassion for your job and energy, at least i would. next time i post an update, i'll try to share a funny or silly experience that might give you a giggle. keep taking good care of yourself and after you pass that test with flying colours, go out, let loose and celebrate.:cheers:
 
Bionic Spence must not be liking the travel so much right now, so it is good that you will stay overnight near the test location the night before. A good night's rest and a little icing will be just what Spence needs to perform his best. Ditto what liam2015 said about your knowledge, compassion and strength. I love your posts and updates and don't really need to read exciting stuff in every post. Healing and regaining strength isn't all giggles and drama. And that's a good thing! As someone I love very much once said about marriage, "Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not - and a lot of the time it just is" (can you tell I married a romantic? Ummm. Not!). ANYWAY - it seems to me recovery is pretty much like that. It would be exhausting if it were always more than "just is." I guess the thing about the recovery process is that it isn't linear. It takes detours, has peaks and valleys and sometimes gets stuck in the mud. We're all pulling for you. Take care of yourself this week - :console2:
janet
 
Rooting for you and getting past this recert! Driving, working and the stress leading up to the test are not big on Bionic Spence's list of fun activities. Hopefully once the test is done, you can return to moving forward with this darn recovery!
 
Ditto to what the others said!

Yes it’s nice to cheer others on with their accomplishments but it’s also comforting to know others are having a “just is” period of time like we are. (@phrog I like that saying, it’s so true!)

I’m sorry Spence has been unhappier lately. I guess it’s that rollercoaster again. According to others before us, eventually we’ll be off that rollercoaster. I’m looking forward to it!
 
I've been in the "just is" category for several weeks. Sometimes this all just seems like a bad joke: When is an ache more than an ache? "Well, it's not really pain, exactly, at least it doesn't hurt nearly as much as before, but...". (From yesterday's conversation with DH, after he heard me issue a soft :groan:). At least you have all the :driver: to blame it on. Poor Spence. I think he just wants a vacation. :hog:
 
I think @Polkdot is right - sometimes it seems like a bad joke. We Smarties can do it, though - Hope you and Spence both get some rest, @Fire wolf . [Bonesmart.org] Fire wolf recovery<
 
FireWolf, you are a rockstar! Driving all those hours would be unimaginable for most of us at this point. You have a great attitude, and always give helpful information and support to others. I appreciate the pictures you posted. A lot of bruising. Wow! What a journey! That first one where the staple opened up--yikes! But I agree that your leg is not straight. I'm no expert, but I would think that it's lack of alignment could negatively affect your gait over the long run, and that could cause back pain. Without talking about my own TKR, I know that my bowed leg was straightened during my surgery, which actually caused pain because those quad muscles were asked to work properly in the first time in years. This may also be the case with you. I wish you the best, birthday twin! You are a great asset to this forum, and you have been helpful to me personally. Keep healing!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Okay, so I had to go find your pics and it's a wee bit early in the morning to see memories of our early days. Especially after your fall. I wouldn't have been able to look and take the photo. My mother had really bad bruising (blood pooling) and I had none. I had a very brief 8 min. tourniquet since my implant didn't require cement except the button on my patella and I was told that was the reason for no bruising.

Sounds like you're doing really well. Fingers crossed for your testing. Those odd pains just come from no where for no specific reason I think; however, just going a bit over the norm seems to be the culprit most of the time! I had what would be considered a great day on Sat. and Sun. was looking pretty well too and then all of a sudden Sun. night, I have a bad ache (I have same issues as you when saying the word pain) in an area that I haven't had issues with in months. What the heck? Where did that come from? It's gone this morning. I guess these are just standard marks of a knee replacement recovery.

Don't you feel like you kneed :heehee: to step away from being so obsessed with this recovery? Like... give me a day of not thinking about my knee. Maybe I'll try that.
 
It's late, I'm tired and I know I should be sleeping. Unfortunately I miss placed the off switch for my brain!:headbang:

I want to thank each and every one of you amazing women for your kind words, support, encouragement and humor! I am truly very grateful to have crossed paths with all of you! Granted, it would have been much nicer for all of us if our paths crossed on a nice hike, bike ride, kayak trip, bowling tournament, cross country drive,...... Well, you get the point!

You are all truly amazing, unique, talented, strong fierce women! Kneerah to all of you! I can't wait for the 9 month soiree!!:friends:
 
@Fire wolf, I'm sorry to hear Bionic Spence has been a bit of trial in the last 2 weeks, but...he does do a LOT of driving, probably more than the average bear...knee I mean. I've had many days when I've thought I'd be stuck on a non-progressive plateau forever, and then unexpectedly, a little progress arrives. Are you stretching Spence enough? I find if I don't stretch my hamstrings each night before bed, both the hamstrings and quads will suffer in the morning. At this point in time, stretching seems to be the most important factor to my knee harmony.

I love the phrase "Just is." I had been there for the last month or so, and this weekend, things changed for the better; no idea why. I haven't done anything different, but now Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine is on a better course. I'm not about to look that gift horse in the mouth! It "Just is."

I agree that the *pain* we can feel at this point could really use a different name; Discomfort? Wonky? Cranky? Rubbish? Covfefe? Sometimes mine just feels like it has the flu. Really, it does; pffft! But you choose, or come up with another, better name. And no, it's not the same as it is in the first 12 weeks or so; phew! I do think it would be swell if our collective knees could just develop temporary amnesia and give us a total break for perhaps a week. We'd get some much needed relief and then we'd be ready to tackle the serious business of healing again, ya know? I'll have a chat with the Amnesia Pixies and see what they can devise.:heehee:

I've no doubt your anxiety about the impending recertification is also adding to some physical misery. I find all of my muscles tighten with stress, whatever the source. Sometimes this happens even with good stress, so some serious relaxation is in order. For me, that could mean a long soak in a hot bath with a glass of wine, or a long walk in the woods or by the ocean. Only you know what works for you, but whatever it is, I hope you can make some time for it. (((HUGS))):console2:
 
@Fire wolf, I hope you are feeling a bit better by now. I'm sure once your recert is done you will feel a LOT better!

Before TKR I never knew there were so many ways to describe pain. The number system gives a clue, but it depands on the individual. My 5 might be someone else's 3.

My arthritic knee felt 'nauseated' if that makes any sense. Now it is 'dull ache/stiff'', aka, 'feel like :censored:'

Whatever, I hope it lets up for all of us soon.
 
@rubyyarn I never like that 1-10 pain scale. It’s just not enough numbers! 1-100 might be better.

I had one pain management doctor tell me 10 is the most pain you could imagine, like a car falling on you. What? I can’t even imagine that, so what I’m feeling isn’t anywhere close to that.

I would rather describe my pain in words, as there are many, and let the doctor decide on the number, but they don’t want to do that.
 
@Jockette, it is all so subjective! Me, I'm a wimp. Others, like @Fire wolf are made of sturdier stuff. I guess the numbers are the best way to pin down what 'pain' means as far as the docs are concerned...
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom