Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

I think I would like a cruise..someplace warm:) Alaska is beautiful I don't think I want to cruise there though.
 
@KarriB I am trying to stay positive about it all:) The other thread was pretty much about the same surgery and what problems she was left with. I know it will never be perfect but I really don't want to be using a cane either. I keep telling myself that everyone is different.
Do I ever understand your frustrations. Prayers said!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
I want a cruise to a warm place too! What pleasure that would be as I'm still freezing in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, the place that summer forgot!
 
I had my appointment with the plastic surgeon. She explained all about the flap surgery on Sept 13th. She will take approximately a 9"x 2" strip of skin and fat from my other thigh. This will get blood flow from the femoral. The OS will swap out the antibiotic spacer with a new one. I will spend approximately 5 days in the hospital. For the next few weeks I will be pretty much on my butt except for the bathroom runs (or walks). If everything goes well I should have the second surgery in Nov/Dec. I asked to see a picture of what it would look like. My mother was with me and I told the PS I wanted to alleviate the shock of seeing it for the first time. We are all about FUNCTION these days not looks:)

@Josephine our local news was doing a story on how to prepare for surgery and possibly have better outcomes. I have attached an article that they referred to about pain management, opiods, implementing multimodal protocols and the Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) protocol. It is a very interesting article and I thought you might like it.
 

Attachments

Are you feeling better after meeting with the PS? It seems these docs have worked together to create a great plan to give you the best possible outcome. But it's still over a month away. Are you still going away?
 
I am feeling better about everything. Both doctors were easy to talk to and were very confident that the surgery will work.
I had to put the trip to Cape Cod on hold because all of the pre-op tests and consults are spread out over August. I have an appointment every week. We are trying to get to San Diego for a few days. Happy you had a good trip:)



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Peggy,
wishing you all the best with your upcoming surgery! hope you can get away to San Diego for a few days, one of my favorite cities to visit (lived there back in the 70's).
 
@PegGar16 thank you for that article. As you say, very interesting. However, I was a bit surprised when early on, oxycontin was referred to as a 'new' drug! I think the article will end up in the Library!
 
San Diego is much closer and I've heard it's beautiful from family that lives there. Hopefully you can get a few days away.
 
@Josephine I see a new procedure listed....I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.
@Majella Thanks. I was stationed there in 1978 - 1980 and loved it.

@KarriB It is closer and I think I can swing 3 nights. I just want to sit on the beach with the feet in the water and read a book. Nothing fancy these days, just vegging out.
 
Good luck tomorrow Josephine!
Regarding the article about opioids a couple of posts back, they say OxyContin was new in 1996 and that is when it went on the market here in US at least.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @charmed-life ! I was really interested with the "ERAS protocol" in that article, starting with the diet a week before surgery. I have always had a problem with pain pills and get off of them as quickly as possible. When I go in for pre-op appointment on the 23rd I will ask the doctor about it.
 
I agree, sounds like they are really trying to find a good solution to the pain issue!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PegGar16 Peggy--you and I had our TKRs on the same day in 2015. I hadn't been on the forum much until I got the email about the funding needs and that got me back again. I just finished reading your story and am so sorry you have had so many problems. I haven't had the recovery I was expecting, but no infection or major complications so I feel very fortunate. I hope your upcoming procedures and recovery go smoothly. I will be thinking of you!
 
@sdgrandma Hi! I am glad you are doing well. I guess I was just part of the lucky 1% although I think the problem started after the fracture because the TKR was doing great. Thank you for the good wishes.
 
So we are running away to the San Diego area for a few days. After this week I have appointments/tests every week until surgery so I am off to the beach:). Even with the crutches I will get these toes into the ocean:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Made it to Mission Beach:)
[Bonesmart.org] Finally Finishing Up



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom