THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Arlene56...sometimes "mama bears" have to do what they have to do to protect their young'uns! :snork:

@dandy_candi...I think I'm moving to Australia! All kidding aside, your health system sounds like it's on the right track. I wish we could follow suit! Oh dear, you just reminded me that my day is coming up soon! I'm very excited and a bit nervous all at once. However, nothing like the nerves I experienced prior to my first THR though. :-)
 
@Zelda
I've literally not put a toe in our pool for years, but I'm pretty certain I will be doing at least some exercises in it once summer hits. I've read swimming is quite good for recoveries. But, I'm with you, floating around sounds quite appealing. :-)
 
I think I may be able to get off of our pontoon boat this year to play in the water a little, I wouldn't even imagine trying to get down the ladder into the lake last year but I'm actually thinking... "just maybe" this year lol..
 
@Pony
Isn't that wonderful! You're regaining your independence and gaining your life back. I'm so happy for you, but not as happy as your little ponies are to have their mama back! :-)
 
I need to ask the FBI or Apple to "break into" my insurance claim and decipher the coded out encryption. @Cynthia777 Yes, I am paying a lot of attention to the presidential primaries but mostly I'm not enjoying them. It's very interesting reading the accounts from BoneSmarties around the world and what they experience with medical procedures and how it is handled. Really fascinating. Luckily, we are retired and so can consider a move to another country. I'll be taking my new hips with me, thank you. :hiking: --julie
 
@Squirrellymom
Wow, you and I are much alike. Hubby and I have been discussing which country we would move to if we left the U.S. A friend of a friend moved to somewhere in South America and is living in luxury on $1,500 a month (maids and all)! However, it is just talk, as I can't imagine leaving my 28 year old daughter behind. Yes, the presidential primaries have not been anything we Americans can be proud of, that's for sure! :flabber:
 
Question...I will be 8 weeks post-op this coming Tuesday and I still have a small scab (with a bit of redness around it) and am wondering if I should be concerned. It is not hot or painful, but when I pour hydrogen peroxide on it, it does fizz. Anyone's help is appreciated. @Jamie, @Jaycey or @Josephine...any suggestions?



[Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The hospital had previously called me for all insurance information before I went for pre-registration. When I was doing the pre-registration they told me I would need to pay $1250 & asked how I'd like to pay it. I said I wouldn't like to pay it & asked why there was a co-pay. They told me because I hadn't met my Medicare deductible for the year. Then I asked about my secondary insurance & they said, "Oh, you have secondary,insurance?" I told them they had been informed of that in our phone conference. So the clerk left & came back saying I didn't have an up-front co-pay because she had gotten "special permission" & acted like they were doing me a big favor in that way. Had I not questioned it, they would have collected my money & it would have taken at least 6 months to get it back.
I know I'm fortunate & I am thankful to have good secondary insurance. I also know we have to be our advocates. I agree with @Cynthia777 you should have told,them you forgot your checkbook & watched them squirm. I've read terrible stories about hospital financial people coming into emergency rooms aggressively trying to collect co-pays by credit cards. I believe we should pay what we owe but I also believe we have to speak up for ourselves or we'll be taken advantage of.
Hope you all have a great weekend!
SweetPea69
 
@Cynthia777 when the image of your scab is viewed at full resolution it looks like there is a bit of suture in that scab. Can you go to your family doc to a nurse in your GP's office to have it seen to?
 
Of course it will fizz if you put H202 on it! We use that reaction when cleaning out infected or contaminated wounds to clean them. But what were you doing using H202 on your wound anyway? I think you should leave it alone so it can heal.

hen the image of your scab is viewed at full resolution it looks like there is a bit of suture in that scab
I can see what you're looking at Jaycey but I've resized the image and I think it's just a crumb of scab.
 
@Jaycey and @Josephine
Yes, it is a scab, as there were no sutures used. Just wanted to make sure the redness didn't indicate a potential problem. The rest of my scar is well healed. @Josephine a Doctor I saw for a different issue told me to use the hydrogen peroxide. He even gave me a prescription antibiotic cream, but when I read the potential side effects, I decided not to use it. In one breath he said it looked good and in the next breath he said I could do the above (he was REALLY old, which made me wonder...just saying).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is quite the interesting discussion on health care. I remember my OS and the hospital both called me prior to both surgeries and required credit card payment in full over the phone. I was a bit taken aback by it but was glad it was taken care of beforehand instead of scrambling for a credit card while dressed in a hospital gown waiting to go into surgery. @Cynthia777 I'm so very happy to hear you got the green light for your 2nd surgery!
 
LOL! Nice one!

Actually H202 is a very old treatment so it doesn't surprise me he recommended it.

But the redness is very localised and therefore of no consequence. If it doesn't reduce/heal within another couple of weeks, then see your GP for advice.
 
Ummmm, I need a training session in how to post photo's on BS. I'm not savvy. It's interesting that you used peroxide @Cynthia777 . I've always thought peroxide healed and cleaned wounds but I had my ears pierced when I was 38 yrs old. I never wanted them pierced and then a couple of my wild and crazy co-workers where I worked at the time had a literal hissy fit because I was so "old" and didn't have pierced ears. They said I was missing out on cute earrings. Well, at lunch one day they dragged me to the mall, kicking and screaming, and insisted on paying to get my ears done and bought a pair of cute earrings. I was instructed to use a special cleaner or alcohol to keep the hole and studs clean every day. I decided to use peroxide to clean them and got an infection in one of the lobes and it swelled so biggie. The med clinic that I went to told me that peroxide was not good to use on a wound as it would tend to keep it open and not allow it to heal quickly. I don't use it anymore. I do clean my wood cutting board with it though and I have been known to put it on a cotton ball and rub it on my teeth to try to whiten them. Then I promptly go and drink a glass of red wine and wonder why it doesn't work. Go figure. :beer: --julie
 
Oooh, @Squirrellymom, thank you so much for that info! As I sit here thinking about it, I think I had heard something about the peroxide causing more problems! Maybe that's why I decided to ask Josephine instead of continuing with the doctor's orders! Confirmation...thanks!

Btw...the teeth cleaning and wine, ummm, yeah! :rofsign:
 
The top end of my incision is still a little red and slightly scabby. I figure it's just the last part healing I thought because it is at the top I have maybe irritated it a little when putting clothes on and off. Lucky for me I'm squeamish so I don't go near it, I just keep asking hubby to tell me what it looks like :rofsign:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom