February Valentines 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In February?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having my right hip done on 2/11/13 and my left hip done 2/13/13. I say bring it. I hurt so bad I'm ready to chew through my hips. :sos:
 
Hi inimeg68 I have added you to the list for both hips... Time will go so quickly and soon you will have two shiny new hips :)
 
Wow, inimeg68, never saw someone not have bilateral, but 2 seperate operations that close. Read the post by those who had bilaterals as I would think your recovery will very closely mirror theirs.
 
inimeg68 hi there, I am going to connect you to one if our very successful bilateral hippies.. My good friend Deb (hi deb xx) djklaugh
 
I am having a total hip replacement done on Feb. 7th on my right side and a knee replacement on the left side later in the year. I am wondering about limitations I will have afterwards. I have been told I will not be able to climb ladders or lift over 30 pounds. I am also currently looking for a tool to help me put on my compression socks since I can not bend over enough to do it. I have tried a few but have issues with them not being wide enough. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
 
[Bonesmart.org] February Valentines 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In February?
mrpounds, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum.
Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often, and the purpose of this thread is to just post your surgery date.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
 
mrpounds I have added you to the February list so now you can see who your surgical buddies are.. I noticed you have started a thread - great :)
 
I'm having my right hip done on 2/11/13 and my left hip done 2/13/13. I say bring it. I hurt so bad I'm ready to chew through my hips. :sos:

I know the pain, so I hear you. You are certainly ambitiious. Good for you!!!
If your surgery is anything like mine I awoke about 1.15 minutes after HIP PAIN-PAIN FREE. Sure, there was surgical pain, but NOTHING like the pain from bone-on-bone.

Did the doc give you a 2 for 1 discount, :heehee: ?

I followed The HSS in NYC instructions to the letter.
- Did my early post-op exercises [I started iright n post-op].
- Did the breathing thing [to keep my lungs clear]
- Did my meds [critical; got me through the initital weeks with ease, then played it by ear].
- Went for PT [I was a little too ambitionus last time. Didn't realize I should not "work through the pain." Didn't know there should be no pain. Dah! I know to be less ambitious this time].
Watched my precautions [90o, x-crossing your knees or ankles] for what seemed like forever [I was petrified of a doslocation].
I was like new in a jif! My wish for you is the same outcome.
With both being done you will be zombie-esque for a while but that will pass with time.

I'm back online because I'm getting ready for my second hip, TLH on Feb 4. Since I know pretty much what to expect, I can't wait to start my recoup.
Take a look at my post for 2011 on: Tips for an easier recovery: Comprehensive List for hospital and home Discussion in 'Pre-Surgery Information'
I just came back in to this site today to find it so I can get ready. Really helped me a lot.
Much luck to you inimeg68.
I'll tell you about mine if you tell me about yours, LOL.:giggle:
:-):spin:
Joanne
 
If you've been gone then welcome back. I just happened to find the site and it's a good thing I did. I wish ambition had something to do with it. After perusing the site, I've learned that doing surgery on both hips, days apart, is not as uncommon as I thought. It's the right decision for me. I'm eager to get my life back. I've been in law enforcement for many years. My years of playing super cop are behind me. However, I do a little moonlighting which requires me to tangle with people on occasion. About 18 months ago, as I was stopping a shoplifter, she (the shoplifter) plowed through me and knocked me on my tush. I couldn't get off the floor, no matter how hard I tried. Luckily for me, the incident had the proper outcome but I knew right then that something had changed. I was stiff but had no pain until last August. It's been downhill in record time ever since.
I've had a good career and have remained active. Right now, my joints are so locked up that I haven't been able to cross anything in years! I'm not asking for much. My goals are return to cardiac rehab, go bike riding and take my dog for a walk, which I haven't been able to do for months. You guys have been so helpful. You are getting yours done 1 week before me so I'm looking forward to hearing from you. I'm counting down the days, so can I say it? 20 more days! I'm off to find that post.
 
Oh my, this is a no brainer. Thanks, I believe all my questions will be answered.
 
I have reformatted my list for the February Valentines, to align with the format I used for December. I think this works out better as we have your actual surgical date and you can see who are your surgical buddies:friends: Please let me know if I have missed anyone and I will add your username :thankyou:

I will maintain this as new members sign on and bring the list forward as new pages and threads are added... :)

Please start a thread of your own in the Hip Pre Op Section and we will come visit and provide you with some useful links from the library. If you have started your own thread - great :thumb: :)

04 Feb thegiftlady
05 Feb Weezi and Quee-Knee
07 Feb mrpounds and hiphiphorray
11 Feb inimeg68
12 Feb 30something and nellsbells
13 Feb inimeg68
15 Feb Cindy B
19 Feb octopus
26 Feb designergirl and sandybeach
27 Feb AnnBanan and yxsops
 
Hi to thegiftlady and yxsops I have added both of you to the Feb list.. now you can see who your surgical buddies are :)
 
octopus finally I am able to add you to the Feb Valentines list... Just a tad over 3 weeks?

I am thrilled for you xx
 
Sign me up for RThR on Feb 5th.
I also do not understand how my thread is moved from preop to post op.....do I do that somehow. Do I start a new thread? Thanks for your help.
 
Quee-Knee, your thread "Knee Fixed-Hip Needs Fixing" is in the Hip Replacement Pre-Op area. Just use it; you do not need a new thread.
 
Hi quee-knee love your avatar and I have added you to the list.. you have a surgical buddy same date :)
 
Hi Poppet, and thank you for herding us all into this forum. Hello to all, and a special shoutout to mrpounds who shares my Feb 7 surgery date. Cheers, everyone!

HHH
 
Why hello hiphiphorray a big welcome to you :)

I have added you to the Feb list and will tag mrpounds for you so that you can connect.. If you haven't started a thread of your own perhaps you would like to and we can all come visit it, if you have well, I will find you... Once again welcome :)
 
My surgery date is February 12. I am truly about to lose my mind with fear. I am having total hip replacement on my left hip. I do have scoliosis and I am concerned that I will end up having one leg 6 inches longer than the other. :gaah: I also have "extreme" arthritis in my spine. I have read several of the excellent articles on this site. (Thank you!!) I am grateful that there are others who can "feel my pain." However, when you talk about "bone on bone" pain...I am confused. I saw my x-rays and the top of my femur...where you are supposed to have a "ball"...I have what I can best describe as a cross between an "umbrella" and a "mushroom." I think that's what put me over the edge. Perhaps I am best served starting my own thread where some patient soul can offer me solace. Please note that I had fallen three times in the past 18 months...that was my first clue that something was not right. However, prior to that (knowing about the scoliosis and arthritis) I was not bothered. My life activities were good. To me, scoliosis was just a word...it did not stand in my way. This ordeal, however, for some reason...has me in a tailspin. Thanks in advance to those of you who read this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom