Guest viewing is limited

February Valentines 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In February?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hagar, I think you are next in the February Valentines, so just wanted to wish you good luck and I will be eagerly waiting to hear about the straight line you can walk.. Heheh!

For me, it was that my right knee layer flat to the bed, apparentlyI kept saying it over and over..

You will be fine, so see you soon on the other side :) Sandy
 
I could not shower for almost 2 weeks
I showered from day 3. It depends what kind of dressing you have. If it's a waterproof OpSite type dressing as shown below, this can go in the shower with impunity! (with surgeon's approval, of course!)

[Bonesmart.org] February Valentines 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In February?

​

-DO NOT take a shower alone for at least 2 weeks.
I was showering in hospital, on my own, on day 3 and alone when I got home. But I had a knee done and I live alone so it was Hobson's choice!

However, I have two sisters who had hips done: one had a shower in hospital with minimal supervision on day 5 and the other on day 4 with no supervision, both the surgeon's approval.

There is no strict rule about this. It very much depends upon how well and how able you feel and that you do take all sensible precautions like being very careful and using aids like grab bar, bath shelf and rubber non-slip mats.

btw, Lady is right about the mat. The first one I had which was bought for me by someone else, had really tiny suckers cups and few of them so the mat wouldn't stick tight the bath. I got a new one PDQ! :wink1:

PS, lady, your excellent post has gone in the Library with a few edits. It's added to this article
The Comprehensive list of useful items and tips for hospital and recovery :thumb:
 
You are very fun! It is scary/exciting/sobering...they don't call alcohol 'painkiller' for nothing, but agree, pain meds are a whole new deal, not sure what to expect.
 
It feels to me like the week before my first baby was to be born. Exciting, scary, rationalizing that this can't remain as it is indefinitely, millions have gone through this before me with delighted outcomes...they are specialists that have overseen this countless times...I've had a good life...(no it's not passing before me) Such a mixture of thoughts and feelings.
Carol RTH Anterior Ceramic Feb 13 2912
 
I showered from day 3. It depends what kind of dressing you have. If it's a waterproof OpSite type dressing as shown below, this can go in the shower with impunity! (with surgeon's approval, of course!)

[Bonesmart.org] February Valentines 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In February?

​

I was showering in hospital, on my own, on day 3 and alone when I got home. But I had a knee done and I live alone so it was Hobson's choice!

However, I have two sisters who had hips done: one had a shower in hospital with minimal supervision on day 5 and the other on day 4 with no supervision, both the surgeon's approval.

There is no strict rule about this. It very much depends upon how well and how able you feel and that you do take all sensible precautions like being very careful and using aids like grab bar, bath shelf and rubber non-slip mats.



Oh, thank GOODNESS! My boyfriend and I were laughing about me not taking a shower for two weeks. Him: "What's that funky smell? Oh, that's YOU." LOL LOL I should definitely call the nurse in charge of my pre-op class and ask her more about this.
 
It feels to me like the week before my first baby was to be born. Exciting, scary, rationalizing that this can't remain as it is indefinitely, millions have gone through this before me with delighted outcomes...they are specialists that have overseen this countless times...I've had a good life...(no it's not passing before me) Such a mixture of thoughts and feelings.
Carol RTH Anterior Ceramic Feb 13 2912

Carol-I'm right there with you!
 
Hello Valentine Babies :loveshower:

14 more sleeps

2:04 am (hate digital)

OMIgoodness is the time disappearing. I can recall before I had my date it would never come and now it’s going too fast---surgery 20th.

Diva, some days I think this RTHR this is the dumbest thing I have ever decided to do but I shake my head (gently not to fall down because I get dizzy when I shake those ping pong balls in my head around).

I refuse to go another summer without being able to get down on my knees and dig in the garden. I refuse to not be able to go to see my son in Chicago because I can’t get around and go gelleventing (the two of us love to go shopping and driving around doing nothing just being together.) I refuse to kick myself again when I have the opportunity to go to Australia because I can’t get around. I refuse to not see my son two hours away because I can't go for a walk with him and his wife.I refuse to put my life on hold because I’m afraid. Enough! This is still my life and this time (if I want to) I will live it as a blonde, have painted finger nails, wear clothes that do not match and I will walk tall with no pain with bright pink hiking poles and purple running shoes and a bright yellow hat. I won’t be afraid anymore.

I will call my new hip joint Marvellous Marvin because he will give me back my life and I will get a tattoo not to cover my scar but to show the world I am not ashamed but proud to dress my scar up and take it to town, or Chicago or even the moon.

It is time.
 
Hi Carol

Fantastic positive post, you are nearly there and you will not regret it... You will be able to do all those things, including coming down here to OZ....

I will keep an eye on your progress xx
 
Hi CJohnson

Haven't heard from you in a while, just checking your surgery is for 13th Feb?

Good luck if it still going ahead and you get this post.

Cheers
Sandy
 
OK, me too! I am having a bilateral THR this coming Wednesday 15th February. A bit aprehensive but at least I have an experienced surgeon who has a good rep! Here's hoping!
 
Thanks for checking in!

Today was the day, and I have to say, I can't imagine anything going more smoothly. Surgery was at 11AM today....woke up in recovery at 1:30 with very little pain, but very hungry. Got wheeled up to my room where my wife and parents were waiting. The got me a burger from my favorite burger place and after fasting for over a day it was delicious.

Physical therapist came in at 4 and I took a stroll down the hall with a walker. Tried to kick the thing to the curb but she wouldn't let me. Decided to change from drip meds to oral at 6PM. Now it's 10:45 and I'm feeling great.....minimal pain, and I can't wait to leave the hospital tomorrow.

I feel very fortunate that my experience so far has been great. Can't wait to get home and start P.T.

Thanks again to all of the comments on this site that helped put my mind at ease going into the surgery. :thumb:
 
Hi CJohnson

What great news to hear from you. So pleased for you that everything went well.

You will have to start a thread over on the Post Op side now so that we can follow your progress.

Take it easy though, gentle PT exercises to start with and if you experience any swelling remember the mantra, rest, elevate, ice, and pain Meds (especially after any PT).

Great to have you on the other side... :)
 
Hi Yellowgopher,

Good luck for the 15th with your Bilateral.. It is perfectly normal to have a little apprehension so close to surgery, we all did and do.. You are very normal :)

Post when you can, we will be waiting for you :)
 
MadRocker and Tribaby are set for surgery this week I believe. Good luck to you ladies!

Cazacroy, good luck to you next week.

I hope you are all doing well (and any lurkers who might be going in for surgery this week and next).
 
Good luck to Feb Valentines for this week and next...

Start a new thread over in the post op side when you all feel up to it :)
 
Carol-Today is your day! I'm so excited for you and all that is to come. Get ready to strut down the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, get some pampering at the Exhale Spa (maybe after you take one of their fabulous Core Fusion classes) and then have a delicious dinner. Do you see it? It's waiting for you! :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom