February Valentines 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In February?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everybody! I'm in for a left hip on 24th Feb... I managed to break it sailing and have been waiting for this since October. I'm an ex Swimmer and always thought I was pretty bullet proof so am having real trouble getting it into my head that my hip is crumbling away. They originally said that I was on the cancellation list and I waited every day for the call getting more and more frazzeled with my little "Maternity Bag" packed and ready to go!! But now I've decided to forget about The List and just aim for the 24th in my mind and it has made such a HUGE difference to my mindset!

I've been told that the stronger and fitter we are going in the stronger and fitter we'll be coming out - I want to leap off the operating table when I'm done! Cazcroy, Smja is so right, walk in the pool, its much better for your hips and harder too! I also do 20-30 knee raises, side swipes and front to back straight leg swings in the water which are really tough but weightless, so good for mobility and flexibility.

I can't really drive anymore as I have a manual gear car and can't put on my left sock so I've always got one cold foot! I'm trying to set myself little goals every week so I don't lose myself in the drama of what's ahead...But I've managed to lose 4.5lbs last week - I'm aiming for a stone and a half before D Day...

Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next couple of weeks - Good luck everyone!!
 
Thanks Tribaby - wishing you all the best. Great weight loss - I am jealous.I had to laugh about yor cold left foot as I have one too and it is also suffering from a lack of moisturiser!! Not long now - seriously can't wait - I have had this for 10 years and I am chomping at the bit to reclaim my life.:dancy:
​
 
Madrocker-Yes, definitely some anxiety on my part! Weirdly enough, I haven't been having too much pain in my bad hip lately. I have been feeling my GOOD hip (well, relatively!:biggrin:), not my bad one quite as much. The lopsidedness is definitely taking its toll on the rest of my body. So I'm going to suck it up and get it done so that I can enjoy life again on my terms.

You should definitely get the massage and the pedi (the pedi at least a week before because the hospital will restrict you from getting one any closer) to relax--you deserve it!
 
Hello everyone!

I have just registered, but have been reading threads for a couple of months. I am finally at the point that the pain is greater than my fear at having this done! Right hip being replaced on Feb 16 and it cannot come fast enough.

I have lost 105 pounds in the last year through bariatric surgery & was hoping that weight loss would help me avoid hip replacement. Didn't help the hip a bit, but at least the surgery will be a lot easier now.

You guys have already been tremendously helpful! I really appreciate all the information.

LabMomma
RTHR 2-16-12
 
Hi, LabMomma...welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad the forum has been a help to you already. It would be good if you could start your own personal thread in the pre-op forum to talk about your specific questions or concerns.....or just to tell us a bit more about yourself.
 
Hi to all the Feb Valentines again....

January is almost over and your new lives are coming up fast.. Take care of yourselves and focus on being pain free, it is so worth it.

We, will be waiting for each and everyone of you on the other side to answer any questions, laugh and cry with with you if need be..

Lots of love to all of you
Sandy
 
Oh it must really be happening fairly soon as I have just been booked in for my pre-op testing and have been asked to be part of a research study trialing two different hip replacement techniques... feeling a bit like a lab rat! Still walking (rocking/hobbling) and swimming every day but its pretty sore the last couple of days and have put back on the 4lbs that i lost - not through eating I hasten to add; chicken breast with green beans and porridge! Could this be the sleeping tablets I am taking or the Difene I'm on? Is anyone full of fluid? Mainly tummy and hands?
 
Hi Cazacroy, What date are you on?? How's the cold and non-moisturised foot?
 
Hi Tribaby

It is still the same I am afraid. My op is on the 29th February so you beat me to it. Need to set up my signature and get my pic up too.

Keep up the good work with the swimming! Never mind the pounds back on (they don't count).
 
Have my final appointment with my surgeon tomorrow and my pre-op with the hospital. I'm having lots of doubt right now as to whether I'm doing the right thing, in spite of the pain. I can still walk to work (about six blocks away) and exercise and do lots of things--and the pain isn't anything unbearable. *sigh*
 
Newhipdiva, not to be pushy or anything but I have to tell you that if you wait until the pain is unbearable you might end up in a really bad way. I was like you for a while where I was able to function well enough but then it seemed like all of a sudden things deteriorated very quickly. Of course you have to do what's best for you but based on your other posts it seems like you would benefit from having the replacement sooner rather than later. Is it the surgery itself that is giving you pause? Or the idea of an artificial hip?
 
February 6th and I wish it were tomorrow! The thought of walking in a straight line instead of walking like a drunken sailor keeps me going!
 
Hi there Hagar from OZ, not long now it is almost 1 Feb where I am, so the 6th will come around very quickly.. I will keep a look out for your first post from the other side - good luck :)
 
Hi newhipdiva – I felt like you and left my condition go on for 10 years – trying to delay the inevitable; until my husband asked me if I am just going to wait until I am old to start enjoying my life again. I deeply regret not getting it done sooner – I have good days (when I think should I really be doing this) and bad days when the pain has me crippled and almost in tears whilst commuting. I know if I had the surgery sooner the bad days would be none existent. I am sure it is entirely normal to be wary but I am looking forward to being “on the other side”.
 
I happened upon this site about a week ago and am very pleased that I did. I've been reading through a lot of the treads, both pre and post op, and appreciate the great stories and helpful comments. I am scheduled to have a LTHR (minimally invasive) on Feb 13th. Of course I am a little nervous, as any surgery has risks, but realize that time flies, and in a few months I will likely be very happy with my decision.

Thanks again for contributing to the many great threads.....I'll try to stay in touch post-op.

Charlie
 
I'm having lots of doubt right now as to whether I'm doing the right thing, in spite of the pain.
Well, you'd be an odd bod if you didn't! There aren't many people who don't have doubts - it's a big decision to make. Tell you what - if you want to check out your category on the "need to have a new hip" scale, try doing the Harris Hip Score and see what you score. Don't worry about section 2, that's for the doctors but add about 5 points to your score for those missing questions.

But you must be absolutely honest in answering and you get your score at the bottom of the page where it also gives you a key to the score. I think from what you've said you should be finally convinced you are doing the right thing.
 
Thanks so much for the support everyone! I had my pre-op with my doctor today and hospital and things finally seem real. I know I sound like such a waffler (LOL) but I really think that I'm doing the right thing. My wonderful partner was there the entire time with me, supporting me the whole way. As my doctor said, I could wait another 15 years and deal with the pain, or just get it done now and help to preserve my other hip. I want to get back to my life and I feel like this is the way.

Jo-I looked at the questions and realized that a lot of them cover me! I want to thank you again for the questions on the site. My doctor said that I asked the best questions of any patient he had ever heard. :)

cazacroy-Thanks for sharing your story. I don't want to live my life with regrets anymore. I've already missed out on so many things because I was worried about my hip.

Jen-I think I am worried about a lot of things--I've never had anything more serious than a wisdom tooth removal. I am afraid of doing the wrong thing and displacing my hip, having an artificial hip, etc. There was a guy in pilates class with me who described displacing his hip in class and it sounded like the most painful thing I'd ever heard! I want to get back to dancing and pilates and I worry that I'll forget and do something wrong and hurt myself. I look forward to us BOTH being on the other side of this!
 
Hi February Surgery's,
How exciting and good luck to you all!!!
Cazcroy: My brain was all over the place the month prior so don't expect any "clarity" for a while. And expect even less from your brain the first week. Write Week 1 off. Week 2 your brain will start to come back but true clarity will be far from your reality. Don't worry though, your meds will make this time just fine. You are on the mend so chill and take it easy.
I would avoid a lot of one-on-one work contact, "Good idea. Let me get back to you on that." Week 3 you will start to feel alive again. I had a meeting later week 2 and did pretty well. I did write everything down as soon as everyone left though, LOL.

I have my own biz so getting back to work was critical. Here is what I needed, more personal than biz but with ypur personal needs met, your biz needs should fall in to place. Hope it helps.
~ ~ ~
First, I suggest you download this brochure. It's from HSS in NY and is likely to answer many of your pre and post-op questions. That's were I got my new R hip.

Supplies you might want to have:
I approached buying supplies for long term as best I could. Except when I thought I should pamper myself, bad idea. I never wear nightgowns but the H suggested them. I bought 2 with buttons for EZ on. Never used. Ditto on the robe. I used what the H provided and did just fine. At home I wore stretch pants all the time with no problems.

- A firm chair with arms. You have to get out of bed. I rented a high chair but did not use b/c the back of my thigh was still sore from a pre-op muscle pain I had. If you have no pain rent it. It's a great chair @ $55/mo. in NY
- Lots of pillows: 1-2 firm pillows for a standard height chair to provide proper height + 1 for bed to put between legs + 2 for behind your back [improvise as needed here].
- A THR toilet seat to practice precautions safely. I ordered 1 for up and 1 for downstairs. Didn't use the down as I spent most of my time the early weeks up. By then I felt better and was more comfortable with my precautions during my down time.
- Stool softener. I was constipated from the meds for almost 3 weeks! Thought I'd explode! I used Dulcolax.
- Stock your BR up with TP - don't want to get caught without, LOL.
- Paper Towel in the BR. This is a just in case you spill or need. It can't hurt.
- Cold Packs. I took 3 from the hospital b/c they get tossed when you leave anyway: 2 in the frig [1 for up, 1 for down + 1 cold ready for you wherever you are. 3 worked perfectly for me.
- Long handled shoe horn [winter shoes are a challenge]
- Reacher. This was my magic stick. Picked up stuff / pushed stuff that fell, pulled up my PJ's. Even helped with my husbands socks.
- Yes, you will need to use your husbands socks, or buy some men's socks for yourself [ladies are too tight to get on] , even with the sock aide.
- Sock aide. Only good if you use men's socks, not big enough for women's socks. I did not use. ... see note below on how I put my socks on.
- A lap tray . One that goes over your legs [gives you more room and look for pockets on the side]. I got a child's design / good size @ $6 at Christmas Tree store; pockets on the side good for pens, books/mags, etc. Mine had a "well" on the edge that caught little spills. Great!
- Travel mug to tote any beverage up without spilling
- Insulated lunch sack, tall with shoulder strap [I'm in the biz so I had 2 criss-crossed over my chest with all the loot I would need for the day = "tall" enough for your travel mug+ big enough for water, lunch, other goodies].

- 2 minimum 1/2 gallon bottles of water. Best if one fits in your insulated bag for EZ toting. You must keep hydrated! Suggest you bring down the empty, the hubby brings up the full.
- Crackers. It is wise to have something in your stomach when you take your drugs. Having them next to you makes this EZ.
- Tablet or Laptop w/charger plugged for working in bed.
- Clean out your top nightstand drawer so you can use to store... meds, pencils/pens, pad, note book [have medical numbers handy a all times], remotes, tissues - everything you will need should be within arms reach. My drawer did not close for a month! No drawer? Get a good size storage container. 4-6" deep should work.
- Cordless phone + charger - both should be arms reach-close

Other thoughts:
SHOWER:
- I could not shower for almost 2 weeks [staples had to be out, a milestone, yea. I used pre-moistened cloths for my sponge baths, and facial cloths for my face. They were a great freshen' up for mid-day too. 2 packs of body cloths + 1 facial should do the trick.
- The handled shower sponge was a waste of time to me; did not touch my back and I was stiff and nervous at first so it wouldn't 'of helped if it did. I had my daughter/hubbie wash my feet and back the first weeks.
- I washed my hair in the sink not the shower to avoid being in the shower too long [low BP]. You may be a little unsteady the first weeks also so this may help you.
- DO NOT take a shower alone for at least 2 weeks. I waited 3 full weeks to be safe, and then, the door was open and my hubbie within shouting distance just in case. Use a safe shower mat. You will be amazed at how slipery the shower is wehn you are not sure-footed.
• Rearrange your top clothes drawer to hold 5-7 days worth of underwear, tee shirts, pants, socks, etc. - everything you think you'll need daytime without assistance.
• If you don't have, I suggest having 3-4 pair of LOUNGEWEAR bottoms or stretch pants. Not tight ones. Should be EZ to take on/off.
• Move items in kitchen/other cabinets or shelves to waist height prior to surgery; you will not be able to reach them after surgery.
• Prepare meals ahead of time and store in the freezer.
• Delivery. Have your pizzeria delivery number handy and make your way down with ample time. I alerted FedEx and UPS of my condition; they buzzed the bell to let me know they were here and left the packages.

Dog Walking. I knew my Max was way too needy to stay home with me. Tried it one day. He asked to go out every hour. NOT usual so I know he knew something was up. They know!
I did not walk Max for 4 weeks; until I was totally off the cane and confident on my feet. My retired neighbor took him during the day returning him when my hubbie came home.
> Rain Slicker: If you have a dog, maneuvering an umbrella and leash will be difficult for a while. I already had a slicker, another of my magic items. Great for nasty weather anytime so a good investment. Mine fits over my winter coat.

Socks On. I leaned against the bed slightly and bent my op leg back at the knee, toward my butt and eased my socks on. Men's socks; slid on easily.
Shoes On. No ties, and definitely a pair that slide on with no help [check what you have]. I suggest a pair of fuzzy, backless slippers suitable for walking outdoor [rubber bottoms; I still use mine so a good investment] . I still use mine.
Boots. Don't even try without help.

Car. Take your time getting in/out. Have the seat all the way back and reclined as much as it will go [weeks 1-2 until you get the idea]. Get in butt first, all the way in. Then, one leg at a time. Lift your butt a bit if you feel you are breaking precautions. I kept a pillow in the car so I was not looking at the roof all the time. I had my R hip done so passenger entry was pretty EZ with the good leg going in first. Not sure how it would work on a L hip. Practice before.
I did not drive for 6 weeks, doctors orders. It killed me but I was compliant.

Meds. Two words - TAKE THEM. Don't be a martyr. I started backing off week 3 and did not stop until I finished the bottle!

Blood Thinners. My surgeon wanted me on blood thinners for 6 weeks. The in-home nurse was insurance stopped in 2 weeks. There was no way to get my blood tested in town 2x week easily or without mucho taxi bills. I called the Dr. He told me to go for a Doppler. Doppler showed no sign of clots so he put me on aspirin. Take charge of your recuperation. It will make things go easier.
> I really think my early exercises helped me with the clots, see the booklet I suggested.

A lot of this will be in the brochure I suggested, amended to include my experience.

Good luck to yu all. Stay in the loop, and ask away if you like :-)
Gifty
 
Oh my goodness Gifty - this is wonderful stuff - I have printed it off and going to keep it to hand – along with all the wonderful things in the bonesmart library. I know I will be a bit loopy to start off so I am giving myself 2 weeks solid with no work contact and the hope in the folwowing 2 weeks I can do 3 - 4 hrs per day spread over the day (and night depending on sleep pattern). I am lining up a freelancer to cover me if worst comes to worst and I am fit for nothing.

I am in the UK and have a good friend who lives in the US and is a PT – we are going to attempt to have a PT session via skype at the weekend which should be a laugh if nothing else! I'll let you know how that goes.

Thank you so much – really appreciate it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom