TKR Falling after TKR

Glad the hot water bottles worked - I will bear that in mind. I have some aches but they are currently only in small areas. The other night it was the back of my ankle so I just used some ibuprofen gel and it resolved the ache and allowed me to sleep.
I'm fine during the day, it's the night time aches when I wake, around 2/3am which are the problem. I have huge difficulty getting back to sleep. I'm blaming my hamstring, not the actual joint.
I will see what tonight brings.
2 -3 am is usually the time i wake and need to take a 30mg codein. I will send you good vibes when i wake tonight - just think if you wake tonight you are not alone :) :-) (: wishing you a good nights sleep
 
I’m glad that worked for you. Normally we don’t recommend heat that close to the knee as it can increase the swelling.
 
Shifting around in bed and waking with an aching knee has been my bane for awhile now. It's getting better. I'm still using a pillow in between my knee when on my side and I'm able to sleep on my stomach now. The Knee still complains and gets very stiff. Just letting you know you are not alone. :friends:
 
I’m glad that worked for you. Normally we don’t recommend heat that close to the knee as it can increase the swelling.

I realise we are all different and have differing recovery schedules, but my physio, whom I trust implicitly as she has known 'my knee' for over a decade, has said ice on the knee and heat on the hamstring, around my thigh. It worked the other night. My problem isn't the knee joint, it's looking pretty darned good with very little [to the eye] swelling, it's the hamstring. I f that wasn't so tight, I'd be entering for the next [walking] 10K! :)

I am seeing the consultant on Wednesday for the six week post op. appointment. I hope he'll be pleased with me. I shall drive there and walk in minus any aids. I hope. :) :-) (:
 
Shifting around in bed and waking with an aching knee has been my bane for awhile now. It's getting better. I'm still using a pillow in between my knee when on my side and I'm able to sleep on my stomach now. The Knee still complains and gets very stiff. Just letting you know you are not alone. :friends:
Thanks. I shall ask the consultant on Wednesday about stiffness as that, to be honest, is my major concern. I have been told I'm expecting too much after major surgery but I need the horses mouth to confirm I'm on track and that everything I'm experiencing, is normal.
At the end of the day, my consultant [ a renowned 'knee man' to world class sports professionals...and me!] is my ultimate guide to my recovery milestones.
I shall report back.
Again, thank you for your support. It means a lot. :console2:
 
Last edited:
@Scaredycat10

I'm so glad you have a physio you can trust and who listens to you!

I have one, too, and it feels like we are a team. She gives me little tasks at the appointments and watches me like a hawk while I'm doing them, and then asks how they felt. And then we modify together so that the exercise is doing some good but not over the top.

Keep posting; it's nice to see how you are doing! :friends:
 
@Scaredycat10

I'm dreading PT this time around. I fear my OS Dr will want an agressive approach, and that's not happening. I've done both, aggressive and bonesmart's way. The slow and steady while listening to my knee worked so well....
 
I ge
@Scaredycat10

I'm dreading PT this time around. I fear my OS Dr will want an agressive approach, and that's not happening. I've done both, aggressive and bonesmart's way. The slow and steady while listening to my knee worked so well....
I the impression, a lot of rehab progress is directly related to the attitude of the professionals involved in our care.

Aggression just does not figure in my recovery.

I am so lucky with the orthopaedic surgeon and the physio I have had onboard for the last many years. The advised pre-hab has paid off and the rehab, in which I take the lead, I do every day also seems to be paying dividends.
 
Scaredycat10,

Great to see your recovery is going well. In your posts I often see you refer to your Pre-surgical preparation. I’m about 2 months away from having a full knee replacement. Would you kindly share with me? I’m not so certain where to start to get ready for my upcoming surgery.

Wishing you great health and Recovery!
 
I just saw your post, Gunnarmac, hope you don’t mind my jumping in....my surgeon gave a packet all about preparation, etc. there was included a list of simple “ pre- exercises.” It was stressed that doing these 2x daily would help in your recovery. I did them faithfully ( I’ll admit, sometimes grumbling about them ). But, it Did pay off. I had similar exercises to do after the surgery....they were familiar, I had built some muscle strength ( possibly muscle memory?), & was very glad I’d done them for the 6 weeks prior. I do wish I’d had one session with a PT to make sure I was doing them correctly.
But even so, so glad I did them. 2 months will really do you well, I’d think. Good luck on your upcoming surgery!
 
Scaredycat10,

Great to see your recovery is going well. In your posts I often see you refer to your Pre-surgical preparation. I’m about 2 months away from having a full knee replacement. Would you kindly share with me? I’m not so certain where to start to get ready for my upcoming surgery.

Wishing you great health and Recovery!
Sorry, only just seen this.

I went to the gym around three times a week and saw my physio in there once a week.
Balancing stork like on the Bosu dome helped maintain core muscles and you can do that just as well when standing at the sink or preparing a meal.
Leg press and leg extension exercises kept my quads in good shape and the muscle memory helped after the op. Ad/abductor machines are good for the glutes as is 'bent leg lift [google glute exercises]. The upright static bike is a must, both pre and post op. for me
I'm doing them all again bar the leg extension but on very light weights. I started with the leg curl machine this week too, to help the hamstring.

I went for my 6 week post op check with my consultant this morning.

I got a Gold Star,

I walked in as I said I was going to without aids but holding a crutch, taken because it was pouring down and didn't want to slip outside.
Everything is ahead of schedule and I'm not to worry about the tight hamstring, it will relax with time and all the stretches I'm doing.
He asked me how I'm sleeping and just said, I'm not because of the ache. That apparently is normal and will subside in the months to come, as will the stiffness. Hope so!

He knows my physio and holds her in very high regard and as he is one of the best 'knee men' in the country, if he's happy with the tailored rehab programme she has for me, then I'm ecstatic.

Still a long haul ahead but I'll get there. I'm a tired [huge M&S shop this morning pre appointment and on 2 hrs sleep] but very happy bunny. :)
Still, will I have the other knee done?
Not if I can help it!!!!!!
 
Last edited:
I know I've been very lucky with my ongoing recovery compared to most because apart from chronic sleep problems, I'm ahead of schedule.

I had an hour with my physio this morning, 30 mins on the treatment table and 30 mins in the gym. I cycled for 10 mins, had a session on the seated leg press and then the leg curl.
New today was the rower. I wasn't too happy at all at the thought as I am [was] a rower and know how much the ergs take it out of me when I 'go for it', which I always [used to] do.

This was completely different.

Very very gentle rowing, to the capacity of my knee bend. It was amazing. It was a sort of mechanical leg slide. After three or four mins, my bend was improving with no discomfort.

My consultant reminded on Wednesday as he tested my straight leg lift [I passed muster], strong quads are vital for a stable new joint. Whilst there's NO chance I will be trying out the leg extension machine for another 6 weeks or so, cycling will help strengthen the quads and the rower, will help improve the knee flex.

I'm only six weeks post op so it's all very Gently Bentley in the gym but for those who are ready, and ONLY if you're ready, I can recommend adding the rower to a work out.
 
I have given in.
I am almost ill from lack of sleep. Two or three hours a night is not sustainable.

I think I overdid the standing on Sunday whilst dishing out the Nativity costumes to the children for the Nativity, this coming Sunday and my whole leg just aches. Aches to the point of regression to the 'where shall i put it at night', problem.

I have never been a tablet taker, no need, but I have gone from a non pill taker [just the odd paracetamol for a headache] to a regular old pill popper.
I have had sleeping tablets for over two years, untouched but still in date, prescribed to me when nursing my father before he passed away and coping with my husband's deteriorating MS condition. The stress was robbing me of sleep. I managed to overcome that myself.
This seems to be different. I had disrupted sleeps before the op as my husband has been coping with the after effects of radiotherapy for hopefully cured Prostate cancer and I have been coping with him.
He now sleeps like a baby. Ironic or what!!

Me, in another bedroom doesn't sleep.

Well half a sleeping pill last night and I had 3 hrs, then obligatory loo visit, and then 4 hours of PROPER sleep.

I am a new women, I can take on the world and my aching leg! :)

An hour's physio this afternoon will hopefully, help the ache. I know it's not the new knee, it's the ligaments and muscles waking up to the new me, but that still doesn't stop the ache.
Grrrrrrrr
There's always something at this stage isn't there!. We just grit our teeth, smile as it's no good moaning to our family and friends and use this wonderful site to share the downs as well as the ups. :)
 
Last edited:
I think you are doing extremely well - my op was 4 days after yours and I am nowhere near your excercise regime - I am envious :) :-) (: I sat on static bike yesterday and just rocked my leg forward and back - not ready for a full circle yet but I know I will be and my leg will tell me when. Glad you got a better nights sleep and I hope you have a good physio session this afternoon.
 
I think you are doing extremely well - my op was 4 days after yours and I am nowhere near your excercise regime - I am envious :) :-) (: I sat on static bike yesterday and just rocked my leg forward and back - not ready for a full circle yet but I know I will be and my leg will tell me when. Glad you got a better nights sleep and I hope you have a good physio session this afternoon.
Thank you. I will take the other half of the tablet tonight. It might be working or it might be a placebo effect, don't know but I slept, so I'll take it!

You will get there. :) You are determined to.

We all come to this op from varying points. Apart from the fact I could no longer walk far, I was fit, ligaments and muscle wise. I hate the gym but go as I have to be in tip top condition as I am, our legs and I am a carer.
I am lucky as I have wonderful physio who has been my personal trainer for the months before the op. She sees me twice a week now and I get a gentle sports massage from the masseuse at the clinic too so between us all, I know I'm doing well.
Add a UK renowned knee man to the mix [very fine scar/ very little swelling apart from ankle and foot/dissolvable stitches/no bruising etc] and I am throwing everything at this ruddy knee so it bxxxxy well better work! :loll:
 
Interesting development.

Investigating my aching leg [and right hip], I mooted the operated leg feels longer than the other.

Guess what. It is!!!Very very slight but it seems I'm not imagining things.

Appointment tomorrow for a bio/mechanical session with the practice Podiatrist to see definitively. Heel insert should sort it out.

Other than that, I went on the vertical leg press instead of the seated one. Amazing. I managed it [simple weights] with a great bend but crucially, no pain or discomfort, which I had before the op. Another step 'forward'.
 
Last edited:
the operated leg feels longer than the other.

You are definitely NOT imaging things. I have the same issue: my surgeon explained that it's because my leg was badly bowed and he had to do an osteotomy to straighten it out. Since the other leg is also somewhat bowed, they are now slightly different lengths, but he assures me that, when I have the TKR on my left knee, the legs will be "even" again. Meanwhile, I'm just using an insert in my left shoe.

Let us know what your podiatrist says!
 
If there is an imbalance, it's minute and it's not skeletal. It could be a perception due to the fact I've not walked 'properly' for years.
A very small heel insert for the time being and keep using the crutches if needs be to maintain an upright and balanced gait.
I upped the weights on the vertical leg press today.
My quads will ache like mad tomorrow but the very smug feeling of satisfaction knowing I can do it is worth it.
I will keep on with the crutches even though I know I can do without them as far as the new knee is concerned. My gait however, is now of equal importance in the rehab stakes so I swallow my 'pride' and use them.
I shall put tinsel on them for a festive touch!! :)
 
Five hours solid sleep last night. Didn't even get up for a wee. OK, I was reading in bed from 5am but I can take that.

On a different matter, is it just me, or does inactivity make you cold?

In two months, I have gone from one who sleeps under a sheet many nights having kicked the light duvet off, and is more than happy to have the air con on for many a spring/summer night, to the duvet with an electric heated throw on top of that!
Our house has gone from a sort of pleasant temp., to subtropical in a couple of rooms during the day as I am SOOOOOOOOO cold and that's with M&S thermal top and leggings under my day clothes.
Luckily for me, my husband is happy to be sub tropical in the evenings too.
 
Good morning @Scaredycat10. My left TKA was a month ago. Since then, I too have had a difficult time staying warm. When I’m in my recliner I’m Always wrapped up in a fleecy throw. At night I sleep (I use that word loosely) in a sweatsuit under two blankets. My feet also get cold quite a bit, which I don’t really remember from before. I have a cloth bag with dried beans in it that I throw in the microwave for two minutes and then wrap my feet up in it. Feels wonderful!

I am guessing that all of it is a result of inactivity, and perhaps early on recovering from the surgical anesthesia. Although it is annoying, it’s the least of my concerns as we recover from this major surgery.

Best to you and Merry Christmas!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom