TKR Falling after TKR

I fell yesterday 19mths post very successful LTKR surgery. I tripped over the hosepipe. Luckily, I had a hoe in my hand and that definitely helped break the fall.

I couldn't get up but again, luckily, some chaps working on a house up the road saw me and got me up [definitely a few beers owing there].

My problem is, my husband is wheelchair bound now [MS and a broken hip last year] and I need to be mobile. I am seeing my physio this afternoon for something else [golfers elbow from pushing and pulling husband hither and thither] but will concentrate on my knee.

I don't think I've broken anything but boy, is my knee stiff. I fell to one side [not heavily] and my knee is back to clicking again. I can weight bear with no physical issue other than incredible stiffness and am using an arm crutch, as a just in case aid as there is NO way I can fall again.

I have been reading Dr Google most of the night [back to being really uncomfortable but no actual pain as such] and it would seem 'new' knees, once established, are quite robust.
Now I know my physio is brilliant and I owe part of my recovery to her expertise, but there's nothing like actual advice or tips through actual experience.

Can anyone advise?
Thanks
 
@Scaredycat10 So sorry to hear about your fall! You are very lucky to have someone who could help you up.

What you already found is that these implants are very tough. And since you were able to break your fall I'm pretty sure it's soft tissues that are causing the stiffness.

Ice as much as you can for now. Use that crutch or a cane if you need them.

If you are worried about the implant, call your GP for a referral for an x-ray just to make sure all is well.

Note that I moved your post from another member's thread so we can get you the input your need directly without derailing their thread.
 
I’m sorry you fell, it’s what we all fear!

I fell face down the day after Christmas, at almost 6 years after an unsuccessful PKR, and landed mostly on my left, operate side. My knee and lower leg swelled up a lot. X-rays showed the implant was fine and nothing needed to be done. It took 2 months for the swelling to go down, and ROM to return, and weeks longer for the many bruises to go away. I didn’t do any PT or exercises to regain my ROM, it came back naturally as I healed.

Hang in there, you’re probably better then you think. :console2:
 

Catalien45​


Sorry not to reply to your Oct 5th post. I'm afraid life caught the better of me when my husband fell and broke his hip.
Six weeks in hospital and a very slow rehab. I was told he might never walk again. Well I put my Rottweiler hat on and with the wonderful help from our adult rehab team from social services [didn't cost us a penny] he slowly got to his feet.
He's still in a wheelchair and life has totally changed but I have a carer coming in first thing and afterwards I make sure he walks [shuffles] around our large entrance hall, with his FES on and using a zimmer frame, four times, twice a day.
I have had our through floor lift taken our and a much grander one put in which takes a huge wheelchair as well as me; I have had a walk in shower installed; I have had ramps put in all over the place [we have different levels which was great when we had the house built thirty five years ago but a pain in the butt now]; I have muscles where muscles didn't exist before and I have golfers elbow and now a flipping swollen knee.

But d;you know what? we have to keep smiling as no one likes a moaner and being full of fedupness does you no good whatsoever.

I will look in to this site regularly for a while and hop to hear of your continued TKR success.
 
I’m sorry you fell, it’s what we all fear!

I fell face down the day after Christmas, at almost 6 years after an unsuccessful PKR, and landed mostly on my left, operate side. My knee and lower leg swelled up a lot. X-rays showed the implant was fine and nothing needed to be done. It took 2 months for the swelling to go down, and ROM to return, and weeks longer for the many bruises to go away. I didn’t do any PT or exercises to regain my ROM, it came back naturally as I healed.

Hang in there, you’re probably better then you think. :console2:
Oh thank you for this. I have got my ice machine out of hibernation but of course, didn't have enough ice to make it worthwhile so now have loads of ice and no frozen peas. Well I have but both bags now have 'ice pack' written on them do not eat!! :heehee:

By the way, it was my carelessness which caused the fall, nothing to do with 'the knee' failing.
 
By the way, it was my carelessness which caused the fall, nothing to do with 'the knee' failing.
I’m glad it wasn’t a knee issue.

I fell coming into the house from the garage, on a non carpeted floor. I was really hoping this injury would lead to a solution for my unsuccessful PKR, but it didn’t. :sigh:
 
I stepped in a hole and rolled my ankle, which broke it, and two bones in my foot. But, the scariest thing was I fell directly on my less-than-a-year-old new knee. It swelled, which caused it to stiffen up and hurt like crazy. After a few weeks, the worse thing was that I was non-weight bearing on my broken ankle, the same leg as the TKR, and my new knee hated that. It wanted to be used. After about 5 weeks I was able to partially weight-bear and my knee started to feel better. Even falling directly on it didn't harm the implant, just my poor soft tissues!

My suggestion is to use your knee gently just doing your daily activities and to ice and elevate as much as possible. Now is not the time for PT. You are already doing more than enough just doing all you have to do. Your soft tissues need to heal from this trauma and extra exercises will only slow down that healing.
 
My suggestion is to use your knee gently just doing your daily activities and to ice and elevate as much as possible. Now is not the time for PT. You are already doing more than enough just doing all you have to do. Your soft tissues need to heal from this trauma and extra exercises will only slow down that healing.
I agree. There are times when you just have to let your knee “be” so it can heal. That’s what I did and it worked out fine.
 
Been to the physio.
She reckons I've dodged the bullet and it is as you guys said, a soft tissue issue..

She massaged the area gently and already, the stiffness has dissipated a bit, I suppose with the fluid being re arranged around the joint.

The cottage cheese cartons [full of water, not cheese!] are in the freezer, the ice machine has come out of hibernation and there is NO WAY I am going to treat this knee with anything other than utter respect and that means no gym and NO heroics.
Been there, done that and it worked the first time for me but this time I'm into rest, icing and sauvignon blanc! Not necessarily in that order.

I will update,

Thanks all
xx
 
I am so sorry to read of your fall. You certainly have your hands full as a devoted and loving caregiver to your husband.
Thankfully Physio helped ease the stiffness from your tumble through massage. Hopefully some rest and ice will have you back to good in no time. Oh…and Sauvignon Blanc too. :wink: My personal favorite also.
@Scaredycat10
 
Thought I might just update.

I am still having hamstring problems but not enough to worry about. The new knee is fine although I am happy to have around 95/100 degree of bend due to the hamstring issue. I still push the car seat back to enter and exit car; I still go upstairs with no thought but still come down 'new' knee leading each step. Habits can be hard to break.
I still have a dreadful habit of looking down rather than forward when walking as I was so used to minding where I walked and I guess now I always will as there is NO way I can have any more leg issues.

Am I glad I had the op? Certainly am.
Was I scared ? Absolutely petrified which is why I put it off until my knee was literally bone grinding on bone and started to be unstable.
Was it as bad as I had been told? No way.
Would I advise anyone to go through with the op even if they are as scared of the pain and rehab as I was? YES!
Happy New Year folks and Happy New Knees to any thinking about it.
xx
 
So glad that things have finally settled down for you and your knee. It just goes to show that everyone's recovery is different but most of us arrive at the same conclusion, it just may take a bit longer for some.

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
You're ScaredycatNoMore! There's lots of positivity in your latest post. I am happy you're doing so well and thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feelings on all.
A blessed New Year to you! :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Scaredycat10
 
Sorry about your fall but isn’t it good to have this forum to come to when something like this happens? So glad it wasn’t worse although soft tissue injuries sometimes hurt the most…

I hope you are able to make time to take care of yourself as you recover!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom