TKR Falling after TKR

We had visitors join us for lunch. I removed the raised seat/frame from around the downstairs loo as it looks awful [and is ruddy uncomfortable to say the least] and forgot to put it back when I went to 'make use of the facility'.

No problem getting up. Yayyyy. Another tiny step forward.

Flex
Have to try and work through the tendon pain at the back of my knee as the joint is pain free.
 
Sleep is still an on/off commodity. It's nothing to do with pain, just discomfort and I think that's down to ligaments.
I am just so tired. If I get more than four hours a night, I think I'm doing well.

My hamstring is hampering flex exercises. I can easily achieve a 90 degree bend and can gingerly get a greater degree but oh boy, the sharp pain of the tendon makes me feel sick. I am stretching it as much as I can which luckily, as I have zero extension, is possible.
I tried to taper the meds yesterday, cutting the daily paracetamol and codeine intake by half and I forgot the Naproxen.
Back on three quarter meds and the Naproxen today.
Questions
I know I'm not yet three weeks post op and I have full extension and am doing reasonably well with flex but
Has anyone else experienced the behind knee tendon pain
and
At what point does the knee stop being stiff when you get up after either sitting for a while or lying in bed?

Thanks in anticipation for your advice/thoughts,
 
If I recall correctly, my right knee stopped being stiff many months after surgery. What I am finding with my left knee is that each week, the the time for my knee to work itself out after sitting for a while or upon waking takes fewer steps. Walking it off is the only thing that works for my stiffness but I do find I have to stand in place while I get myself together to take that first step. Hope that helps.
 
Don’t forget to also ice the back of your knee. Don’t worry about trying to get more bend, it will happen naturally as you heal.

Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
If I recall correctly, my right knee stopped being stiff many months after surgery. What I am finding with my left knee is that each week, the the time for my knee to work itself out after sitting for a while or upon waking takes fewer steps. Walking it off is the only thing that works for my stiffness but I do find I have to stand in place while I get myself together to take that first step. Hope that helps.
Thank you.
It's a little comforting.
I do think I'm 'doing OK' for just shy of three weeks. I walk [hmm, shuffle but I do heel/toe] very carefully around the house during the day with no aids but I use both crutches when in the gym [walking only] and at night time if I get up.
I have zero extension an just over 90 degree flex but as a carer, I admit I'm fearful of not 'getting there'.

We have a through floor lift installed which has been a tremendous boon and although I can climb the stairs, I cheat and use the lift.
I have an hour tomorrow with my physio, mainly for the hamstring problem and she wants to take me in the gym for a very gentle work out, possibly ad/abductor and hamstring curls. Bearing in mind I am a regular, if reluctant user of the gym I know what my limitations were, and am certainly aware of what they are now.
Thank you for your reply.
 
Don’t forget to also ice the back of your knee. Don’t worry about trying to get more bend, it will happen naturally as you heal.

Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
My surgeon is very well known and has been a marvel throughout the years he's been seeing me. His embroidery work is already a legend amongst my friends as I proudly show it off.
One thing I haven't been doing, is icing the back of my knee. The Aircast cryo/cuff only sees to the front so I'll get a gel pack from Mr Amazon right now. It should arrive tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice.
Now, any advice for sleeping? I must be up to my 10,000th sheep by now! :loll:
 
ow, any advice for sleeping? I must be up to my 10,000th sheep by now! :loll:
I don’t know how we missed giving you our Recovery Guidelines, I sincerely apologize! Here they are, and there is an article about the lack of sleep. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
 
Thx
My sleep pattern was disturbed many months ago, as my husband became ill. I have moved out to another room in order to try and break the ridiculous hour at which I get up.
Not easy and not helped now by not knowing where to place my leg. It doesn't hurt, it's just uncomfortable.
I am taking less pain meds but I think the night time ones are writ in stone at the moment.
 
sleep whenever you can ... this sleep thing is no joke. Since this is my 2nd knee, I remembered the sleep challenge and created a separate room so that I can toss and turn and watch really bad movies at 2am without disturbing my spouse. I slept a lot during the day the first few weeks.

I think somewhere around the 3rd week, I realized that I could take the oxy that I hoarded when I woke in the middle of the night and that was good until I ran out (doc refilled 15 tabs). I then went to CBD+melatonin and now am back to a medically prescribed 1:1 CBD:THC tincture. The latter works very consistently, important because I'm back to work full time.
 
Have to try and work through the tendon pain at the back of my knee as the joint is pain free.
Don't work too hard on that big tendon. If you anger it more it will be that more painful. It takes a while for the discomfort to go away. You certainly can't force it away. I wish we could.
know I'm not yet three weeks post op and I have full extension and am doing reasonably well with flex but
Has anyone else experienced the behind knee tendon pain
and
At what point does the knee stop being stiff when you get up after either sitting for a while or lying in bed?
Many of us have had that back of the knee pain. I sure did. During surgery the surgeon does all kind of maneuvering of our knees. No wonder we have pains here and there!
I do think I'm 'doing OK' for just shy of three weeks.
You are not doing 'just OK', just are doing great!
 
Has anyone ever asked you to move in with them as a constant motivational crutch!!

Thank you. x
 
I still have stiffness every morning and I'm 10 weeks post-op today. It will go on for awhile yet. Hang in there, you're doing great!
 
I still have stiffness every morning and I'm 10 weeks post-op today. It will go on for awhile yet. Hang in there, you're doing great!
Thank you.
I'm sure I'm not alone in regarding 'my' op as the only one EVER undertaken and thus had NO idea what to expect even tho' I have had a lot of pre op advice from those who have already had it done. Not all of it positive I have to say.

All help, advice and motivational chat very gratefully received. :) :-) (:
 
Saw my physio today and as well as sticking her elbow into tendons and muscles, 'loosening' is her term,
She gave me acupuncture into the hamstring. It hasn't cured the pain [boy has it helped] but when we went in the gym, I got a full revolution on the bike which there was NO way I could have done last week and cycled for a few mins.
Then I went on the leg press, easy weight and very narrow press window and then the ab and adductor machines.
She reckons I have over a hundred degree flex and now a minus extension.
My physio sessions have nothing to do with the set exercises and all to do with trying to sort the peripheral problems. I can't emphasise enough how much the acupuncture helped. My hammy was twitching away like anything when she twiddled the needles.
All good.

I am on top of the world whilst sitting here, icing. I'm sure the bump to earth will come soon, but I'll take the euphoria whilst it lasts.
 
sticking her elbow into tendons and muscles, 'loosening' is her term

They do have interesting terminology for the things they do to us! :loll:

Hadn't thought about acupuncture until now, but I could definitely use some for my back!
 
sticking her elbow into tendons and muscles, 'loosening' is her term

They do have interesting terminology for the things they do to us! :loll:

Hadn't thought about acupuncture until now, but I could definitely use some for my back!
I was a sceptic until I had an calf seize up a few years ago. My physio stuck some needles in, twiddled them and voila, the muscle was relaxed and no longer cramped.
Since then, whenever she's suggested acupuncture, I've gone along with it as it works. The science behind it is very interesting too.
 
What do you mean by “twiddling” the needles? I’ve never had acupuncture.
 
@Scaredycat10 @Sks1997 I had 4 sessions with an orthopedist who did acupuncture with electrical stimulation at 14 weeks and I do believe it lessened my stiffness and discomfort greatly. Unfortunately, Medicare doesn't cover acupuncture except for the lower back, so it can get costly.

@Scaredycat10 I suffered from on and off pain behind my knee, and @Jockette reminded me to ice there too. That pain went on until about 14 weeks.

Now comes have an odd mild pain in my calf! Who the heck knows where THAT one came from, this surgery has taught me there are aches and pains coming from all over.

Sleep is normal for me now, and has been probably since week 10. I don't know anything worse than not being able to sleep. Or maybe not being able to eat!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom