Guest viewing is limited

TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this post toothfairy :goodpost: :giggle: Shame about your undies !

Keep up the amazing recovery, you are doing so fabulously. You are inspiring everyone on here. :egypdance:

jetthugger sounds like you have a v good week lined up, enjoy it but do leave som time to pack your bag... :wink:

Love Fernie x:flwrysmile:
 
Toothfairy you are certainly right about the waiting being a form of torture in itself. I've had WAY too much time to think that's for sure. Luckily, I have spent nearly every waking moment reading the posts and articles on this site and as a result I think I'm as mentally prepared as I can be.

You are doing so very well and are so positive, thank you! I am going to print and post one of your last updates to help remind me that a positive outlook and following all the tried and true wonderful advice on here really do work. Thanks for being a ray of sunshine to me as I wait 9 more long days until my new knee!:thankyou:
 
Dear forevergimpy, I am so touched by your lovely post. :thankyou:
I am naturally a pretty positive person. I always like to have a laugh at myself and find it helps me through.
So glad it is helping you a little too.
You will do very well if you use the wonderful advice on this forum.
Love and a hug,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Dear toothfairy how are you doing? You are certainly cheering us all on. How are you icing? Do you have any special cuff or do you use frozen peas? I am thinking of getting something to wrap around my knee. Any thoughts.
 
Hi Jenny
its funny what you say about the nesting, I did the same thing but for me it was more like 'getting my affairs in order' and it was a good thing to do. I cleaned out cupboards and threw useless stuff away, donated goods to various charity appeals and general took stock of all the clutter in my life. Hmmm quite a bit...so my mind which is my greatest ally but can also be my worst enemy...was totally occupied. I took on a very interesting family history project and in the early morning hours when I couldn't sleep I would immerse myself in that and it worked fairly well.
Lots of good reading on this site as you have already found out, you also know each journey post op is different so don't get too hung up on details...you will make your own way...but you won't ever be alone. :friends:
Enjoy this pre-op time....as much as you can because as I said it does often motivate us to do lots of things we should have done ages ago...and you will feel so good about your efforts afterwards.

Hope you escaped the recent floods....hugs Gami :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi EWKP,
I purchased something called a Dura Soft Knee Sleeve Knee Ice Pack Wrap. It comes with two inserts that you freeze. I also bought two extra inserts.
I bought it online from a company called Health and Care.co.uk
It was delivered quickly and I am very pleased with it. When the packs come out the freezer they are a bit stiff but bend easily and mould nicely. They also stay cold for quite a long time.

I am sure you can do the same with packs of frozen sweet corn.
You should be able to find them on a google search but let me know if you are having problems and I can send you a link on a personal message.
How are you doing?
I have had a very good day today. I slept right through last night ( apologies to all of you who are having difficulty sleeping) woke at 06:30, came on the forum then read for a while then dropped off again till 11am. I think I am catching up on several years of overdoing it!
I have done all my exercises and while my bend is not brilliant it is definitely improving and the swelling is slightly reduced.
My leg is a wonderful mixture of stormy colours and changes daily. Late this afternoon I went outside and walked down to the end of the driveway, not far just about 2-3 car lengths, walked up to my neighbours front door them back across to my house. I was only out for a few minutes but it was lovely to be out in the fresh air.
Sitting with my feet up again. I am amazed how much I am enjoying just sitting doing nothing. It is welcome respite from the hurly burly of work.
Wile I was still in hospital I had an e mail from my boss asking me to write a report. I couldn't believe it! For once I politely declined.
Have a lovely weekend,
Love
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy:
 
Hi Gami, I definitely did a lot of nesting too. The day before my surgery I got all of the laundry done and cleaned the house. I felt better going off knowing the house was clean and tidy. Mad but not worth fighting the impulse.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends:
 
Hi Gami. Another day "nesting". I think my husband is quite excited seeing me getting rid of things that have taken up space. I know what you mean about making your own journey. I read a few threads the other night and it completely freaked me out. Next day I read Toothfairy's and became calm again. I do have a fairly high pain threshold, so am hoping (at this stage) that that will help me. But you never know, I might be a crying mess. Anyway, like you said I'm not alone. I am ready, just have to wait now. Thinking about what to pack, but I am taking on board what everyone is saying, "don't take too much". Thank you for your support. Thankfully we have been very lucky regarding all the floods. We are on a bit of a hill, so nothing affects us which is great. Just sick to death of the rain. It's just week after week. Enough I say. Take care. Jenny
 
Hi Jenny...it is good to be informed...but don't look on anyone elses journey as a program for your own. Yours will be quite unique...when we talk about pain it is the same but always different for different people...crying well we all cry at some time or other...your RTKR is a big thing physically and emotionally and tears are okay it's part of the healing we need to do.
Last week I went and had a massage (beginning of week three)...it was very relaxing but it really opened the flood gates for me, the young man who did my massage was very understanding and afterwards it somehow was better. So just relax and enjoy this pre-op time as you can. You won't need heaps of gear in hospital, for me first 24hours was surgical gown, second/third days nightie, then I came home. We were told to bring our soap in a stocking...so it could be looped on the tap...nothing like losing your soap and can't get it...and just your normal toiletries...but I'm sure your pre-op class will let you know all those things.

take care Gami :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Good morning Jetthugger ,
I am fine thanks, just posted in your thread. I am doing well but a bit sore this morning.
Waiting for the pain pills to kick in before I have my shower and venture out to see the nurse.
I feel vexed about your loss, as you said in one of your posts it is amazing how you really bond and care about people you have never met.
I am planning a very gentle day reading a new book once I am back from the docs.
Sending a hug,
Toothfairy x :friends:
 
Hi toothfairy how are you? You sound as if you are doing so well. I am going to the hospital today for pre op assessment. Quite looking forward to it as it seems another step nearer. Can't believe it's snowing. Take care have a good day x
 
Hi Toothfairy, how are you doing? My first early appt, nearly wiped me out for the whole day so be warned ! :heehee: . Now i have to be up, showered and ready to get my daughter out by 8.20 each day and its actually getting me back into a morning routine as it'll be the same when i'm back at work so im quite glad for this. also, i'm nearly 5 weeks out and i feel ready for this now -certainly the first 2 or 3 weeks I didnt really get downstairs until all sorts of times :whistle: but the rest was exactly what i needed :mcoffee: .

Anyways, i do hope you had a lovely weekend and that the nurse's visit goes well. Be careful out there!

how is your snow doing? we didnt get the promised white-out overnight although they are saying maybe later today, just lots of flurries at the moment, the sky almost seems to grey to snow. The gritters have been around so thats really good and will make the roads OK at least.

Will catch up later. take care.... Fx :flwrysmile: :dancy: :spin:
 
Hi ewkp, good news about your Pre op appointment. I know what you mean about it being another step nearer.
I hope they give you lots of helpful and reassuring information. I found mine very helpful.
Let me know how you get on.
I am doing well thanks. Still taking life very slowly. After such a hurly burly for the last few years it is nice to sit back and watch the world go by.
Every day I feel able to potter around a bit more. I have started to walk round the house a bit more and have been for a couple of very short walks outside, lovely to be in the fresh air.
I am off to see the nurse in a minute, I expect that will be a challenge involving in and out of the car and stairs and waiting rooms.
Take care,
Looking forward to a report about your Pre op later,
Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Fernie,
I never cease to be impressed by your progress, up and showered and organised by 08:20, wow.
I am normally leaving for work by 07:45 but cannot imagine doing that anytime soon.
How is your daughter, I hope she is feeling better.
We have snow on the roof tops and the car is covered but the ground is fine, must dash for my appointment, catch up later, Toothfairy x
 
Toothfairy, you are doing so amazingly well for just 10 days out. in a few weeks, you'll be getting up earlier and doing more, but this is your 4 weeks where the Mantra rules !

Get you, 'dashing' for your appt ! :rotfl: you are funny !

hopefully, you'll have loads of time off work, must day if i worked full time then i'd need longer off. Also, my work is fairly local, so I dont have a long commute like some people. The thought of getting into Town (London) and back in rush hour would be enough to take another month off !

Hope all good with Nurse. Fx
 
Hi guys! Fernie, you just amaze me with your progress! Toothfairy, take it easy today, it's a goodly trip out & I reckon you will probably need to relax for the rest of the day!! EWKP, I really got a lot out of my pre-op class, even had a nervous snigger or two at the expense of the physo's and their expectations :heehee: The undies dilemma commentary had me laughing (and reaching for my hospital bag!!) I think I will wear an old(er) - but still respectable pair of shreddies, so they can slice them off at whim. :spin: Any more tips, hints & advices from t'other side would be appreciated! I find that I am doing exactly as Toothfairy did, and saying stuff like "it's the last time I will be doing THAT for a while!" just stuffed my face with an egg mayo baguette, followed by a fresh cream doughnut (courtesy of hubby) as I can't imagine that I will put on / lose anything significant in the next week!! :angel: Hugs to you all!! :friends:
 
Hi Jetthugger!
Good plan to enjoy some treats this week.
Hopefully no undie slicing will be needed but at least you will be prepared!
Hand wipes were great when stuck in bed. Start on the prunes etc ASAP after surgery.
Pack your sense of humour and your ' go with the flow'
Go for it and before you know it you will be busy recovering.
I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that you get a clear result from your wee test.
Take care,
Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
Hi Jethugger, my best tip is not to worry too much, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated and is soon over.
As to the knicker chopping, where I was they gave me a very unbecoming pair of paper knickers for the surgery, maintained modesty but looked like pampers! Still, it's not a fashion show...
And everyone here seems to have had constipation, but I had the opposite:doh: so certainly wouldn't reccomend prunes!! I suppose it depends upon which drugs you are given and your own body's response.I wouldn't worry too much either way though, the medical staff kept a close eye on how I was and responded quickly when I had any pain or discomfort.
Best wishes for calm.
 
Oh jetthugger, glad your pre op went well. We are all told so many different things before TKR.

One bit of repeated advice for you, DON'T PACK TOO MUCH :whistle:. So when you repack later, see what you can ditch. :) I really cannot anticipate any knicker slicing :rotfl: That is so funny! I was furnished with a gorgeous pair, in a delicate ivory color with elastic trim, made of the finest..........wait for it.......... Paper!

Hold on to your old (er) shreddies (how far Norf are you?) for as long as poss my dear ! :giggle:

The others are right, you'll be in recovery before you can say Egg baguette and cream cake!

Fernie xx:bicycle1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom