Guest viewing is limited

Ankle Facing total ankle replacement and scared

Chanie

junior member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
29
Age
62
Gender
Female
Country
United States United States
Hello there!Just signed in -which is quite an accomplishment for a computer illiterate ‘old fogie’ like me. Facing a possible/probable ankle replacement after 3 foot and ankle artrodesis surgeries in past 18 years and I am scared out of my wits. Thank you thank you for creating this forum for moral support and advice,
 
Hi, @Chanie. Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you were able to sign in and place your first post. Unfortunately it was in someone else's thread, so I've moved it here to a brand new thread that is all yours. So please continue to post here as you move along in your joint replacement journey.

Ankle surgeries seem to be the up and coming thing now, so you're right in style...:heehee:. I know any major surgery like this can be very scary, but that's what we're here for. We'll help you get through it.

Just start posting any of your questions and concerns and we'll address them all. We want you to confident and informed when dealing with your medical team.
 
Hi Chanie,
I can understand your concern. I think we all have that feeling until we learn more about the latest generations of ankle replacement devices. It may help you if you go to myankle.com and also visit the Wright Medical Group web site to learn more about their particular device called the Infinity. Viewing successful patient experiences and also the well established surgery procedures may help alleviate some of your fears. I have done extensive research prior to making my decision on what surgeon and what device that is scheduled on September 19. You can see more details on this forum from my research.
 
Would love to learn more about your foot and ankle arthrodesis surgeries.
Good luck with your replacement!
 
hello Jamie, Robyn and Larry and everyone else. I am fascinated by reading your stories and planned surgeries. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 35 years and had a hip replacement 2010 and 3 foot and ankle arthrodesis surgeries 2001 2007 and 2012. First 2 were done in Mt sinai hospital in new york city . By the time i needed further repair my doctor no longer accepted my insurance. So after much research my third operatrion was done in Baltimore with a wonderful dr. Clifford Jeng in the foot and ankle reconstruciton center of Mercy hospital. But as the RA has continued on its merry way, my ankle is now locking, walking is down to a minimum, and lots of pain as you guys well know. I applaud you all and wish you GREAT success and look forward to hearing more. You are all encouraging me to face the recommeded TAR using the infinity process in the hospital for special surgery with Dr. Demtracopolous. looking forward to hearing and sharing!
 
@Chanie ... you'll notice that moved this latest post of yours to the recovery thread I created for you. Since the majority of your post deals with your history and your upcoming surgery, it's more appropriate here. Don't worry.....these folks will see your post. I see you've already had some comments here, so you're one of the ankle group now. :thumb:
 
@Chanie glad you joined us. I look forward to following your journey. Do you have a date for your surgery yet?
 
Hello and best wishes for a successful outcome. To help you feel a bit more comfortable about your planned surgery, I set forth below a link to an abstract of an article which discusses the effectiveness of total ankle arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The publication date was November 5th, 2014. Things have only gotten better now and you should be quite pleased with the results post-surgery. In my opinion, the key is finding the best surgeon you can and then deferring to their judgment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25378503
 
NewlyHip is right on target with his comments. I hope you're starting to gain a little more confidence that you can deal with whatever may need to be done to reclaim your life from your ankle problems. It helps to talk over any specific concerns you may have, so don't be afraid to voice them. We're here for you!
 
Many many thanks to you Newlyhip! My new hip is 9 years old and the decision to do it has changed my life for the better. Good luck with yours! There will come a time you will not even think about it G=d Willing! and I thank you for the article on the comparison study of TAR with Ra versus non RA patients. Very encouraging. because the pain and throbbing, locking , and tingling of my left ankle is originally from RA I am afraid this big ankle replacement surgery wont A)Last more than 5 years and I have such a fear of hospitals/doctors I will need more surgery soon. thats A and B) I am so afraid of the pain during recovery and not being able to take care of myself. i know it's so hard from my previous three ankle and foot athrodesis(fusion) sugeries. So thanks for listening and for your encouraging words. Robyn did you have your surgery
 
Hello Chanie, I just realized that my screen name is a bit confusing and wanted you to know that I created it about five years ago shortly before having both of my hips replaced in a single operation. For me that operation was indeed a life-changing event. If such a surgical procedure had not been available, I believe I would have been wheelchair-bound within a short time. Stay strong my friend. You will be pleasantly surprised with how things go I believe.
 
wow Amazing to hear, not-so-newly-hip. appeciate that!
 
Hi Jamie- I need a little help using this forum properly, You mentioned you added a prefix to my name , but not sure where to click.. sorry for sounding so computer illiterate
 
Hi @Chanie I had a TAR in December of 2011 so I have several years experience with a TAR and would be happy to answer any questions that I can.
 
Hi Jamie- I need a little help using this forum properly, You mentioned you added a prefix to my name , but not sure where to click.. sorry for sounding so computer illiterate
Just click on the link Jaycey gave you to find the threads.
 
hi all. Long time , no post. It's been 9 months since my TAR and I am Thank G-d really doing well! Back to work as a music teacher and busy grandma of 16 G-d Bless em. How are you faring Larry and Jaycey and all my other joint replacement friends? I am walking pretty well with my high top basketball sneakers that I live in. I've stopped PT but lately when I stand a while on my foot like cooking or at a party lets say my foot swells up a little and is really sore for a few days and I need to baby it and elevate and rest again. will check it out by dr. Demetricopolous of HSS fame next week.
 
@Chanie Great update! So glad you are enjoying some good results from your TAR! Yes the swelling can go on for quite awhile. Keep up that icing if needed.

Let us know how your checkup goes.
 
Hey Chanie,
Glad to hear you are doing well. Some swelling is to be expected. I apply ice even when I do too much work or activities. I had a second ankle surgery five months ago to remove some scar tissue and a bone spur that was causing some pretty bad pain after my TAR from September 2019.
Things are much better, but not pain free. I can only hope that a few more months will show more improvement.
When my wife and I visit my daughter we have steps that I don’t have in our home and that definitely causes me some pain issues. I go up and down the steps very carefully.
Our journey is a challenge, but so much better than before TAR, so I am still glad I did it.
Hang tough and you should hopefully continue to improve.
 
I found that wearing a compression sock on the days I knew I would be extra active helped keep the swelling down @Chanie. It took quite a while before I stopped swelling when I was really active.
 
Back
Top Bottom