Bilateral THR Excited to get two THR!

Today is day 7. And I am still alive!

Even after reading dozens, maybe hundreds of your recovery stories, I thought nothing would surprise me. Yes, the thighs became swollen and so hot and stiff. I have to get up after icing hourly to walk out some stiffness and pee and get a drink. But the thigh pain was much worse, especially at night.

Nightimes have been a horrible struggle with the back sleeping and huge hiccupping snores constantly waking me up. Combined with nightime low grade fevers that made my entire body hurt, I think I moaned my way through the first week's nights.
Finally, on the fifth night, I couldn't take the aches anymore and I shoved a thick pillow between my knees, and using my bed cane (thanks some member!) and just flipped myself into my side. And almost bliss while I held my breath to see if I dislocated. I did not have that hip precaution but I only stayed on my side a couple minutes before gingerly flipping to the other side.
I still haven't actually slept on my side. My precautions are no mini squats and no more than 20 % back extension, allowing for a normal stride.

But what really ruined my first week of recovery was constant nausea, even with meds. My nurse navigator thinks it's mostly due to anesthesia and to keep drinking water and flushing it out. All foods and drinks taste terrible to me, although I am able to eat and drink. I also drink two high protein shakes a day, which also taste terrible!
So between the fevers and nausea, I feel like I have had the flu all week, along with enormous hot thighs!

My OS has a strict rule of only a few, very simply bed excersise only for at least the first six weeks. My home PT girl came twice and was lovely but not coming back. She helped me up the 16 stairs yesterday and showed me how to get on and off the shower chair and checked out the height of the spare bed I will soon graduate to.

So I'm still sleeping downstairs and since the stairs made me feel sick, I still haven't had a shower. But I have lots of hospital grade disposable washcloths and I am clean enough for now. And I have never missed a shower in decades!
Thanks member dogchick for recommending Garnier's Rose petal micellar water for my neck and face, even my ears. It's so refreshing after a long sweaty night of snoring, and incredibly dry mouth.
 
Hi @Zoebichon
Yikes...the first week was definitely a tough one....
I had some upcoming bilaterals following me, and I definitely needed at least a week to be able to post without starting off with "What the heck did I do this for?"

Sorry about the nausea... I took the much needed pain meds and had to make sure, even though my appetite was nil, to have a bit of food in my stomach before taking my meds.
Ice cold grapes and soups were my go-to.

My precautions are no mini squats and no more than 20 % back extension, allowing for a normal stride.
No PT needed...just walking to restroom and other short walks. (stay hydrated, friend)

My quads were super sore and everything wore me out.
Ice was my best friend and letting my body heal by getting some power naps....sleep is definitely tricky.
Hang in there. It Does get better.
 
Today is my two week hipsaversiry!

I saw my OS’s PA today and everything is looking good. I’m still on the walker and she said that’s fine as I had two hips done at once.

I took (I hope) my last dose of Dilaudid yesterday evening @ 9. I have had mild, but constant, nausea all this time. I really hope it goes away now that I am finished with the narcotic. Everything has tasted so bad and smelled so bad I just want to feel normal again!

I am sleeping on both sides now and after 12 nights of hardly any sleep at all, it is bliss.
Although I could have showered after three days, I just took my first one today. Until last night, I had been hanging out in my downstairs nest with a bathroom but no shower. I had purchased several containers of hospital grade disposable washcloths and cottonelle wet wipes and am surprised how fresh I feel. Last night, I finally tacked the steps and slept in our spare bedroom with the brand new mattress and it was so lovely,

I am still clacketing to the toilet every couple hours so I wanted to give hubby some peace.

l don’t have to worry about difficult PT exercises since my OS insists on no PT exercises at all for the first 6 weeks. He does allow 4 simple bed exercises done very easily to help increase circulation. Although I am certainly looking forward to doing exercises again as I have always enjoyed them. After I heal!

I never had TED hose, of which I have read so many stories about here nor did I have the inflatable pumps. Just two baby aspirin daily for one month.

I never discussed prosthetics components with my doctor at all but am delighted he used dual mobility.

I haven’t yet had to resort to my stash of quinine water and gatorade for spasms so I’m holding my breath there.

What has been helpful to me is purchasing a large supply of high protein drinks and pre and post recovery drinks. I feel they have helped supplement my week appetite and loss of taste. Although I have been able to eat good nutritious meals, I have not enjoyed eating at all. With the end of the narcotics, I should get back to normal quickly! And ditch the big morning effort in the bathroom!

Happy recovery to all!
 
@Zoebichon that's a pretty decent two week update, especially for a bilateral THR. Sorry about the nausea, lack of taste and smell, hopefully that clears up soon and you get your appetite back.

Oh, that first shower, lovely isn't it?!:loveshwr: Don't care how well you've been cleaning up its just not the same.
 
Congrats on hitting your 2 week milestone!
I am using baby wipes and cottonelle tp wipes. Fun stuff lol. There is no way to not get my bandage wet so I opted for that right now.
I’m coach sleeping and it’s annoying ! My bed is too high and I didn’t have time for a step stool.
If your still having nausea I suggest peppermint. Candy canes / tea etc. It has a much better settling effect and it has some flavour. Ginger also helps. Ginger tea or ginger beer. Not sure why they call it beer but it’s a much stronger ginger ale with amazing abilities to settle an upset stomach! It’s strong ginger flavour though.
 
You’re right Lyla, the peppermint candies do help. I was discharged with a “nausea “ kit which had some ginger candies and tea and peppermint candies and tea. Also this nausea easer smelling thing which you peeled back and sniffed. That thing smelled so badly that I had to throw it away!

Sorry about the annoying couch sleeping. I had a fold out sofa futon with a comfortable mattress that I lived on downstairs for the first two weeks. Now I sleep upstairs but spend loads of daytime icing and elevating on my downstairs nest.

My upstairs bed is also too high but I was able to get a step stool and it is perfect now, although I always use the plastic bag trick for sitting and swiveling my legs into place.

You will get there Lyla!
 
You seem to be doing very well for double hips only 2 weeks out, so I hope it will get easier from here. I’m amazed that you can sleep on either side already. I remember the wonderful feeling of doing that for the first time, along with the bliss of first shower.

I’m wondering about the science behind that nausea-easer smelly device. Perhaps the idea was that it would smell so awful it would take your mind off things!
 
I am just entering my third week and still rushing off to the toilet every hour. And every 1 1/2 to 2 hours all night long.

My hugely swollen hips, thighs, legs and ankles are looking more normal every day. So I know I am getting rid of the surgery fluids.

For how long did others have this intense urgency. When will I start peeing normally again?!!!
 
I’ve decided to cut back on the amount of water I drink. I drink so much! The first night after cutting back, I was surprised that I still needed to get up an pee every hour. But last night, I finally had two hour stretches of sleep between bathroom visits.

I still have 4 pounds to get rid of to get back to my surgery day weight so I know there is more fluid to get rid of. So much peeing these past 17 days and nights!!!
 
Yes on the swelling! Mine was not awful but I felt terribly bloated for the first two weeks. I saw a huge difference in week three, lost the water weight I was carrying by week four. Same for the bruising, my leg was the color of an eggplant!
 
I had my best sleep last night since surgery, finally. I noticed right away that I felt virtually no pain anywhere! Tomorrow will be 3 weeks. So I made my way down the 14 stairs and proceeded to walk all over my downstairs without my walker or cane! I walked slowly, heel-toeing with a nice gait. No pain and I couldn’t believe what a day makes!

Eventually, I made my way outdoors and had my longest outside walk yet, using two hiking poles. Probably just a short block and back, then up and down our little lane a bit longer.

As soon as I came inside and set aside the poles, I felt my lower back just killing me. I’ve had lower back pain for years due to degeneration but haven’t had any since surgery. Most likely since I was on Dilaudid for the first two weeks, and now just on Tylenol and Mobic. I think all the walking unassisted got those lower back muscles working again. So now I’m elevating and icing my lower back!

Anyway, I was so pleased with my earlier walking pain free and was thinking back on the wonderful care I received at Kaiser Permanente nearly 3 weeks ago, that I sent the orthopedics surgery a thank you gift of nuts and dried fruits, a trail mix, individually wrapped. A nice big box for everyone to enjoy.
 
Great update @Zoebichon :egypdance:
You've done beautifully!
My back issues resurfaced minimally after I became more active, so good for you babying it some.
I think all the walking unassisted got those lower back muscles working again
I think you are spot on.

Life without chronic pain is a blessing indeed.
Lots of improvement to come.
Hope the rest of your week is sweet.:flwrysmile:
 
@Zoebichon It is wonderful to hear that you are doing so well!! I agree with you about KP - surgery and pre and post op care for all my surgeries has been excellent. And life on pain free hips is a daily marvel.

"I think all the walking unassisted got those lower back muscles working again." = Yes I'm sure you are correct. I found that nearly every muscle in my body had some big or little complaint at least once during my recuperation. Some so distant from my hips that I could only wonder "now why are YOU complaining?" But eventually everything got sorted out and working as they are supposed to :ok:
 
I was so pleased with my earlier walking pain free and was thinking back on the wonderful care I received at Kaiser Permanente nearly 3 weeks ago, that I sent the orthopedics surgery a thank you gift of nuts and dried fruits, a trail mix, individually wrapped. A nice big box for everyone to enjoy.
So thoughtful and kind of you! Nothing like a great care team watching over you when you were feeling dependent and in need. Glad you’re doing so well, but sorry you’re dealing with back issues. :console2:
 
It’s lovely to read your wonderful updates! You are doing so well. And it’s very thoughtful of you to send a gift to your medical team.
 
I love hearing how well you are doing and also love the idea of walking poles! I am walking without the cane and just slightly to the right so I love the idea of the hiking poles! I think I may order some actually. Love to hike under normal circumstances and that is my first major goal is to be able to get back to hiking. Lovely idea to send your doctor a nice gift package. Might copy that too once I'm actually done with him in the near future. Best wishes for a pain free Sunday!
 
Today marks 4 weeks since my surgeries.

I had a bit of a scare this morning. My steri-strips, on both thighs, have been falling off one by one. So far everything has looked dry and tightly healed. Until this morning when one fell off and I noticed a bit of bright red blood. A tissue pressed to it showed a slight amount of new blood. On closer inspection, I felt that the wound was open and I sent a message and a photo to my ortho team.

The nurse called me and asked me questions about fever, chills, drainage and bad smells and I said no to everything. She sent the picture to my surgeon. He said it was open but quite superficial and I don’t need to go in. Keep it clean with mild soap and water, no soaking and keep an eye out on it.

I will be seen for my 6 week appointment on July 5th but to call if any changes.

At 4 weeks, I am walking outdoors one third of a mile without any assisted device and walking all over my home the same. I can go up the stairs normally with hands just hovering over the bannister and railing. But coming down, I still need to hold on tightly!

So far, no cramps or spasms so my tonic water supply still sits. Only one tiny zap; I kept waiting for the expected zaps and zings but so far only that one tiny fleeting one.

I am finally sleeping well, with two or three potty breaks, on both sides. I’ve been side sleeping since week 2 since my incisions are on the front of my thighs.

I still have some groin pain after sitting for meals but it works it’s way out after a bit.

Some worries that never happened:
I was told to expect a total body inspection for bites, cuts and wounds before surgery. In the preop area, I kept pulling up my gown up trying to hide several mosquito bites on my neck and shoulders. But they only asked me if I had any open sores and no inspection at all.

I thought I might be canceled due to an abnormal EKG, due to a low heart rate of 49 but no one questioned it. Prior to surgery, until the month before, I was used to walking 4 1/2 half hilly miles almost daily and have always had a lower heart rate.

I thought I would need to spend the night because they told me they did not expect bilaterals to be discharged same day, but I did so well post surgery they gave me the option of going home within 3 hours of surgery and I did! Only one very fleeting episode of dizziness, thank goodness and one short bout of emnisis.

I did have two weeks of constant nausea, not severe, with a throbbing morning headache, and 4 nights of low grade fever, and two weeks where everything tasted and smelled just awful. But that all went away shortly after discontinuing the narcotic at 2 weeks.

Now I am on morning and bedtime Tylenol and a bedtime Mobic. Two more days of baby aspirins and stomach protector.

I am not to do any pt exercises until my 6 week checkup so I have not tried out my flexibility yet. But when I slide my foot up when manuvering in bed, I get the feeling that my knee could easily abduct down to the mattress which I have not been able to do in decades. My surgical notes indicate the OS inserted a duel mobility cup. I can scrub down to my ankles but haven’t yet been brave enough to try scrubbing the bottoms of my feet! I still use the foot scrubber for that.

I can easily put on panties and pants without the dressing tool and can pick things off the floor if they are poking up a little, like when I dropped my bra.

The best part is I had these surgeries 5 weeks before I turn 65 and go on Medicare. I am retired, thankfully, and am still covered under my work insurance. Both hips cost me $75 dollars, including labs, ekg, and all follow up appointments!
 
Back
Top Bottom