TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
A finish line is a goal, metaphorically, and that is critical to a good attitude and focus to keep going. In my mind there are many finish lines, many goals, many achievements and many reasons not to despair.
A work in progress should have a completion plan.
Sort of like building a house. The initial plan is to just get it done well, so a sturdy shelter and home exists at its completion. One larger goal consisting of many smaller ones. But subsequent projects, like kitchen cabinets are lesser but nevertheless important goals.
Without the first major goal, the rest just don't happen.
Okay, enough philosophy. I'm getting a headache. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@patient 99
There are no tickets to the "Promised Land":heehee: When you are in your garden, feeling wonderful,
That's the "Promised Land" at that moment in time....you are there :SUNsmile: When you are walking
Feeling the sun on you.....you are there :walking:It certainly is a wonderful Place.
P.S......Don't go telling folks there are no tickets, I see a lucrative business venture for both of us :rotfl: :rofsign:
I still got it :yes!:
Sincerely,
Diana :friends:
 
Always tickets dear. Always ways to do whatever you want. Just have to want to do it.
I celebrate every little achievement.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
A work in progress should have a completion plan.

Hi JJ, I think we have a difference of opinion here. Oh goody I love controversy. You use the analogy of building a house and the importance of little goals all leading to the major goal of house completion. The trouble is that it doesn't work like that with TKRs. You can set as many goals (little or large) as you like and the knee takes not a blind bit of notice.

In fact goal setting for TKR recovery is down right dangerous, not only physically but mentally. Physically you are likely to overdo things and slow recovery down, and mentally you become anxious. You read how everybody is doing better than you and the worry sets in.


I celebrate every little achievement.

That is excellent, but you can't set the date for your TKR achievements. They happen when your knee decides to improve.

Let's put this in context. I am over 15 months post op. I have tried to do the best I know how to enable my knee to recover. Its still poor. Are you suggesting that my knee is the way it is because I didn't set goals?
Carol
 
:iagree: Goals make people anxious & unhappy when they can't be met :sad: Better to let things
Happen when it is meant to be. Just "Wanting" something to happen, doesn't make it so for
A lot of folks. We all do the best we can :)
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Always ways to do whatever you want. Just have to want to do it.

Before I retired I worked as a consultant in management training and development. I remember trotting out this kind of thing. One day I realised not only was it untrue but that it could hold people back. For example I ran a course for special needs children. The aim was to help them identify what jobs they could aspire to. One young woman said she wanted to be a doctor. She could neither read nor write. No amount of WANTING would have enabled her to become a doctor. All the time she clung to this idea she was preventing herself from identifying what she could do and doing it.

I am not suggesting for one minute that people shouldn't have dreams and that some, against all odds, can turn those dreams into reality because they want it bad enough. But that still makes the statement `There are always ways to do whatever you want' totally untrue. I prefer ` Depending on what it is you want, there will be many ways to achieve it if you are determined'. Carol
 
Carol, I really think we're saying the same thing in different ways. I don't have a set date and I'm not pushing for a certain date. Well, I thought I was ready to drive at 2.5 weeks, so when I had my 3 week OS/PA appointment I asked and demonstrated my leg strength and reflexes and got the green light. I'm allowing my knees and assist muscles to heal and then working on strengthening them when ready.
I think you're confusing a goal with a schedule. A goal is something you want to accomplish. A schedule is when you want to accomplish something. I'll let my body figure out the timing but I'll work to the best of my ability, within my body's limitations to achieve the major and contributory goals and arrive where I'd like to be when it's the right time. Oh yeah, I'll feel good about doing what I need to do to get there, else I probably would fall off and go back to bring sedentary the way I was with the horrible bone on bone knee pain.

Finally, I'm talking about my experience. I don't know really about anyone else's. What I'm saying is a general outline of the way I think has been helpful to me, here as well as many other areas of life. As in all things, very little go smooth without difficulty along the way. It's how one deals with the instructions determines the outcomes.
Carol, I have no clue what you did or not to be in your condition. Each of us has or own story and our own history. For example, I encountered a simple credit card matter within the company who not only distributed the card but for which I worked.
I even forget the ludicrous reason they wouldn't allow what I wanted, but I stayed on the phone for hours going up the line until I talked to a suit like 6 levels higher than me who said, of course you're right.
There are alternatives to any obstruction. You need to know if it's worth taking them and how much success is worth to you. While we all feel dejected when we have setbacks, feeling miserable doesn't change anything, but it's usually necessary short term, but then I believe you should go full throttle until there are no further answers. At that time, you should learn to deal with the malady, and then set the course for something different.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really think we're saying the sane thing in different ways.

Well so long as you agree with ME, that's alright :wink:

Best of luck with your recovery. I live in awe of the people who have had a bilateral. Carol
 
@JustJeff @patient 99

I think it's really hard for those of us who have had uncomplicated recoveries to understand how frustrating it is for people whose path is more difficult. We can imagine and sympathise, but we can't actually feel it!
All we can do is be as supportive as we can.

That's one of the reasons why I stayed with BoneSmart long after my own recovery needs - to try and help others whose progress was slower or more difficult.

I'm having my other knee done later this year and I know that I will be mighty frustrated if it doesn't recover as well as the first knee. But I will have to tell myself what I tell others - every knee is different and every recovery is different.

Here's wishing you both all the best for a good day. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
. Now I have a problem. Do I follow Carol or my knees? (Or do they agree with each other? ) [confused] :)

Mr JJ I forgot to mention I Patient 99 aka Carol make the jokes around here - well Diana does most of them, but you get the drift. Your stuff is not allowed to be more funny. Just thought I'd clear that little matter up. Now, good morning Jeff I trust you slept well? Carol
 
Now, could we get back to talking about ME

Good Morning Diana, How are you today Diana? Is the world treating you well. Its your birthday tomorrow. You excited? I've checked and there are definitely no seagulls in the Massachusetts area today or tomorrow so you will be fine. x C
 
@patient 99
Good Morning Carol :yawn: I still need some coffee to wake my tired mind & body :mcoffee:
Have you put any thought into my business venture, selling tickets to the "Promised
Land" ? Sure beats standing on the corner :chinstroke:
Tomorrow is my 1 year Anniversary for my left knee :yes!::yay::egypdance::spin::dancy::cool: :wow:
I will post my monthly up- date in my thread.
Talk Soon :friends:
Diana :wave::loveshwr:
 
Have you put any thought into my business venture, selling tickets to the "Promised Land" ?


Well you know me, anything to make a buck. But not sure how to go about selling the tickets. Standing on the corner sort of sold itself, but this hmmmmm. I ran it past Wally the Whip. He said he'd help us out. But you know him - he will want a massive cut. Think we should do it on our own. Do you think £500 a ticket is about right? Why don't we ask Sue @Dabber and Dorothy @turtle68 if they would be prepared to pay that sort of money. We'd be sort of testing the market. Carol
 
@patient 99
Dear Carol,
How much is that in U.S. Money ? Are you kidding me....A land of :SUNsmile: Of :catbutterfly:
& :doggie: It will sell itself :rotfl: No "Wally the Whip" just you & me watching the money
Roll in :friends: Commercializing the "Promised Land" I hope I don't get struck by :blackcloud:
Love,
Diana :wave::loveshwr:
 
Late reply: I slept ok. Hehe. Tonight better no that I solved the Phantom knee burn!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Come and sell your tickets in the social room, we like a diversion in there.
:heehee:
 
Carol, I don't think I could pay 500 lbs. for that ticket to the Promised Land, since I've spent all my dollars getting and staying at Sweetgrass. Some days it feels like I'm already there and others, like yesterday, not so much. Nothing to do with knee just one long headache. Better today, going to see a friend from my old 'hood, helping her to celebrate here 70th b-day. Enjoyed reading your dialogue with Jeff, oh to have had a recovery like that but we have to take what we get, but it's good to know that easy recoveries like that do happen.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom