TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, not so bad today so going as planned unless there's a downturn.
 
Hi Ladies, I saw my doctor today about getting a second opinion. She agreed to refer me, but not to either of the 2 surgeons that Josephine recommended. They are not local, and there is no contract in place to allow the referral. Had there been no one in my area to whom my GP could refer me, that would have changed things, but there is someone.

His name is Mr Paul Alistair Gibb. In 2012 he did 129 TKRs and 14 Revisions. Josephine's recommendations -
Mr Peter James did 241 TKRs and 58 Revisions and Mr Andrew Porteous did 75 TKRs and 57 Revisions. So using numbers as the criterion its easy to see that Mr Gibb is not a front runner.

I cannot afford to go private so I have agreed to see Mr Gibb. My GP tried to reassure me that `the old boys network' would not compromise his assessment. I don't know how long it will be before I get to see him. In the meantime I am walking an hour a day before breakfast and will gradually increase this - knee permitting.

If anybody has had arthroscopic arthrolysis on their knee I'd very much like to hear if it helped.

Hope everyone is doing OK. Carol
 
@patient 99
Hello Carol,
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, it won't happen again :no-fin: I hope you don't have to wait too long
For your 2nd opinion. Congratulations on walking for a mile every day :egypdance:I try to do that also.
Sometimes I take a day off :heehee: Have you read the stories in the "Library" on great out comes of
Knee replacements ? A few of them waited longer than a year & still saw improvement :happydance:
So, you see there is always hope:)
I think of you Often :friends:& hope you are well & your head is healing,
Diana :wave::loveshwr::cool::loveshwr::wave:
 
Congratulations on walking for a mile every day

Hi Diana, I'm actually walking for an hour every day, so I might be doing more than a mile . If this sounds like I am showing off its because I AM. Anything that is a positive I shout about :walking::walking:


Have you read the stories in the "Library" on great out comes

No I haven't, but I will, particularly if there are some who got there by the slow lane. Thanks for letting me know.


hope you are well & your head is healing,

:egypdance: I'm giving it my best shot. xx Carol

ps: now the important bit - your absence. Have you been getting down and dirty? Was it fun? Do you want to
give me ALL the details ? Can I join in next time? If not, can I at least have the photos?
 
I've said this before but it bears repeating. We go at different speeds in this race to finish. It matters not when we finish. It only matters that the finish line is in sight and we're headed in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
It only matters that the finish line is in sight and we're headed in the right direction.

Sorry JustJeff, there's no mileage left in this comment. 15 months post op and you stop believing in finish lines.
 
Hmm. . I'm very sorry to hear that. Sometimes in this endeavor we stumble and can't quite finish the way we want. But are you saying you've given up or is it that you've merely found another way to get to your own personal finish line? I would imagine you have or, otherwise, why would you be here?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
But are you saying you've given up

Jeff you beat me to it. I was just about to post saying `please disregard my comments'. I haven't given up - well most of the time I haven't. Its hard that's all. New Knee in June mentioned the BS library and the messages from folk who have taken a long time to get there, but did in the end. I've just finished reading one in particular. It helped enormously.

Don't know your story, but hope you found that damned illusive finish line. Best wishes Carol
 
@patient 99
The elusive finish Line is just Left of the "Promised Land":) Stop & smell the roses
Along the way :flwrysmile:Enjoy your walks ( you are doing great ) :yay: Before you know it.......
The gates will open & you will be welcomed :welome:Into a land of great promise for
A wonderful life :SUNsmile:
Don't forget to bring Sue @Dabber :heehee:
Diana :friends::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
I'm just so sorry that you're having a hard go of it. I think at least half of recovery is attitude. I think that if you're thinking positive, your body is prone to work harder. Just a working theory of mine. I'm actually feeling great. I'm making steady progress, but being careful about listening to my body's signals. It's not even 2 months in but I'm back to where I was pre op but without the pain. I know I still have a ways to go with regard to where I "should" be with both pain and strength.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
must feel great to get out and walk!

Chris, its not all that great. Walking is so uncomfortable for me, but I've noticed it is having a good effect on my legs - strengthening the muscles. I would like to be able to do it without the need for my elastic sleeve which sits just below my knee, but it provides support which I can't manage without. Carol
 
Carol, you're out walking - does that mean you can shampoo your hair. I hope that surgery has not caused you too much discomfort. Glad to see you're going for that second opinion even though you can't go to one of Josephine's recommendations. You said it would take a while to get an appointment. Is that weeks or months? It does sound like you may have some scar tissue affecting your ROM, but glad to hear you're walking and that it seems o be strengthening those muscles.

I'm still trying to walk as much as I can but I'm only up to 45 minutes. I could go longer but I've some real pain in my knee right where I felt the bone on bone pain. Better today, I just wonder if it could be the weather. We've had a lot of rain and it's very humid. Or maybe "phantom pain".

Are you doing anything for fun this weekend? Quiet one here. Hang in there Carol, and I'm just so sorry you're having such a hard time and hope you get some resolution son.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy:walking:
 
@patient 99
Dear Carol,
I don't profess to be a guardian Angel :angel:Nor, do I live on a cloud :heehee: I hope you don't
Think I was giving you a one way ticket to Heaven :shocked:
I am however a good friend :friends:Who believes in time & hope, you are doing better than I am
With walking :walking:Once your head heals...I do hope you can get out & have some fun :happydance:
It's what life is all about :SUNsmile:
Thinking of you,
Diana:wave::loveshwr::cool::loveshwr:
 
@patient 99
Carol,
I just had a light bulb moment :idea: There is no finish line.... A knee replacement is an
On-going process. We get better, when we get better :yahoo:I suppose this means no "Promised
Land" either :shrug: But, in my mind it is still a beautiful place & I choose to believe in it :SUNsmile:
Have a wonderful Weekend,
Diana :loveshwr: P.S, I told you I was smarter, nicer, knowledgable, than the average person. Aren't you
Glad you know me ? :rotfl:
 
I hope you don't
Think I was giving you a one way ticket to Heaven
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

If there's no entrance fee and the accommodation is 6 star it might not be so bad. Miracles are probably ten a penny ip there, so problem knees, holes in the head, and saggy bits could all be sorted before breakfast - DIANA, I WANT A TICKET, AND YOU KNOW ME, I WANT THAT TICKET NOW.


We get better, when we get better

And you know what? If that was how it had been sold to us there would be far fewer people worrying themselves to death. All this talk of what should be happening at 3, 6, 12 months; how much ROM we should have etc etc. All rubbish.

I told you I was smarter, nicer, knowledgable, than the average person. Aren't you Glad you know me ?


I agree totally, but it could never have been anything else. You are MY friend. Enough said. :wink:

Its 2 days away from your one year anniversary. Hope you give a full update. One whole year, doesn't time fly. Do you remember what you were doing and how you felt on 1 June 2013? Carol
 
I'm still trying to walk as much as I can but I'm only up to 45 minutes.

Hi Dorothy, I think what Diana said is so true, ie targets and deadlines, and I should be able to do this by then and so on and so on is best ignored. I wonder if we have heard the phrase `we are all different' so much that its lost its meaning. Look at what you have written ............`I'm only up to 45 minutes'. You could have said `I am up to 45 minutes'. One is negative the other positive. We don't treat ourselves nearly as well as we do other people.

The skin cancer removal and skin graft is going fine. The biggest problem is cosmetic - which is no surprise. Hopefully I will get the dressing off next week and will be able to wash my hair properly - I will never take hair washing for granted ever again. In the meantime I do go out, but I wear a hat or scarf.

I reckon it will be weeks rather than months before I get my second opinion. But I am on a real up at the moment. The hour a day walk in the lovely weather is a real tonic. Walking isn't new for me, but the challenge of walking up and down steep roads is. Its hard, but I am really getting something out of it.

Having a quiet week end must be a first for you. You are always up to something. For me a fun week end these days is just being able to do my own thing and enjoy the weather. I walk, do the garden, have a couple of drinks at the pub with Mike. Come bed time I am exhausted and sleep like a baby. There's no discomfort when I am off my feet.

I've some real pain in my knee right where I felt the bone on bone pain

Oh I am sorry. Is this a new thing? I wouldn't have thought real pain could be down to the weather??
How often has this happened? Carol
 
@patient 99
Dear Carol,
You my friend :friends:Have just figured out the mystery of Knee replacements :happydance:There is
No finish line....We are a "Work in progress" no time lines, no comparing ourselves to others,
No "OH, Why me ?
There are good days, great days, & not so great days, but each day is a day to give thanks for.
You are gardening, walking & going out to pubs :egypdance:& that is where you should be in your
Recovery :yes!:
You soon will have your 2nd opinion, to put your mind at ease :) If your Doctor says " give it more time"
Smile to yourself & nod your head. Know that this surgery takes time & you will be just fine :dancy:
One Year ago....I was begging for surgery :bow:I couldn't walk & it was very :shocked:Scary.
You are correct......I am your friend....:loveshwr::loveshwr:& don't you forget....:rotfl:
Have a wonderful Sunday,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom