Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like your PT's advice of exercising a little bit and often. Do you have a pattern going? I would do a little bit of stretching and bending before I got out of bed to loosen up.
Then I'd try to do a couple of short sessions later in the day, splitting up the variety of exercises I'd been given. Go ahead and ice and elevate in between for a while.
Also doing the short walks concentrating on your gait is good too.
 
YOU CAN DO THIS-----I BELIEVE IN YOU
You brought tears to my eyes. I have taken note of all you have said. Just a point on the bending exercises. I had been doing my exercises early in the morning when my knee was at its best. My knee seemed to accept this. But my PT advised that I'd achieve more if I spread the exercises throughout the day (little and often as you have also advised). This means I am now doing some ROM exercises when my knee is far from its best. The outcome has been that for the last few days my knee has been rebelling. The swelling is there even in the morning and the rubber band/vice-like grip has recurred, making walking difficult.

Do you think I should stick with it - keep gently challenging my knee in the way you (and my PT) have advised?
 
still plenty of time for things to keep moving on.

Josephine, thank you for the picture of how to walk properly. Pictures can say a thousand words. I had it in my mind's eye as I walked round the park today. Also, I know that you are not just saying stuff to make me feel better.
That you are speaking from experience. I will re-read your message every time that black dog climbs on my shoulder.Pat99
 
I like your PT's advice of exercising a little bit and often.
Hi Kneeper, you will see from my message to bottomshollow (2 posts above) that the little and often ROM exercising is causing me problems. But everybody is in favour of it so I am checking back to see if, despite the issues, whether I should stick with it. Thanks for your help. Pat99
 
It seems you still need to be doing a lot of elevating and icing during the day whenever you can fit it in. You should always have your feet propped up if you are going to sit for any length of time if it's possible That tight rubber band around your knee feeling is very, very common---I had it until 7 months post op or around 28 weeks. Just do what you can---that's about all any of us can do---just don't push too hard and cause pain.

((((Hugs))))
 
I would appreciate any thoughts on a problem I'm having. When I walk I feel a rubbing/scratching on the inside of my leg just below my TKR. Its not painful, just unpleasant. If I rub it it goes away, only to come back later. I've had it ever since my Op, but its happened several times today and I wondered if anyone knew what caused it, and more importantly how can I stop it?
 
referee54@bottomshollow@Josephine (and mary? can't find her avatar) Just thought I'd give you some feedback. I was terribly worried about loss of ROM (had been 105) went back to 90). You said `don't worry, it can come and go'. Spot on my friends. Back to 105. Thank you for taking some of the hardship out of recovery. Still a long way to go, but thanks to you people and my Bonesmartie chums I am having many more positive days .Pat99
 
Josephine, I wondered if you could help me. I saw my PT on Thursday. I told him I was having some new pain. He checked my TKR, leg and ankle and said he could find no reason for it. He said I shouldn't be experiencing pain at this stage. He also said that as a precaution I should see my GP (general practitioner). I am trying to get an appt. for Monday. In the meantime I'm very worried.

The pain is on the left side of my knee (if you are facing the knee). Its sharp, very similar to a nerve pain. It comes and goes, and only comes on when I am walking not when resting. It feels like the tight rubber band around the knee is squeezing so much it is interfering with the nerves. Does it sound serious, should I be worrying, have you come across it before? Pat99
 
speccybecky We haven't spoken before, so Hello to you. You said that your GP gave you anti depressants. How did you get on with them? I have to say that I am pretty much against taking anything. They all seem to come with too many potential side effects. I know you have to weigh it up and decide if the benefits outweigh the negatives, but some times that can be hard to do.Patient 99
 
robynhood Thanks for the message of solidarity. Its weird, but just knowing that others have felt very low too at times helps. I notice your TKR was Oct last year. How is it now? I get up about 7am and by 7pm my leg pretty well closes down - stiff, bit painful, swelling.Pat99
 
Pat, they were very mild antidepressants and I took them for a few months with no side effects that I noticed. She told me that they wouldn't take away any problems but make me better able to cope, that it was nothing to be ashamed of as depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and didn't mean I wasn't a strong person. I don't mean to come across as a drugs pusher but they did help
 
Pat, I hace taken anti-depressants for years. It runs in my family so for me, it just makes me feel normal. I still get discouraged and as you know TKR is not an easy recovery. I know I've lost ROM, bit I think once I'm able to exercise and able to do more it will come back. I'm 16 weeks out now and sometimes I can walk fine, and other times hardly all, so I think physically you're way ahead of me. As far as your PT saying you shouldn't be experiencing knee pain at this time, how woul he know.? Has he had a knee replacemnt. I'm still taking Norco - I was off it for awhile because I really don't like taking drugs, but it helps keep the swelling low which helps keep the pain down. So hang in thee and keep in touh with your friends here at BoneSmart.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
speccybecky Hi Becks Never thought you were a drugs pusher. Aren't they all greasy men, with beards and gold teeth. I am sure you don't fit that description. I will keep what you have said in mind. thank you. Patient 99
 
I'm 16 weeks out now and sometimes I can walk fine, and other times hardly all, .
Hi Dorothy, much the same as me. I worry if I spend too much time in bed, because I think I should be exercising, When exercising, I worry if I am doing too much. If there's any time left in the day I worry about worrying. But I will hang on in there - the food and accommodation in the local mad house wouldn't suit me. Next time I see the PT I will tell him Dorothy says `what do you know mate? you never had a TKR, so shutta the mouth'
 
Mutley Hi Jaki, I am dying to tell you. Went to the hydrotherapy pool today. It was just supposed to be an assessment, but they agreed I could have a session. I absolutely loved it. You are a STAR. The assessment cost £41, but that's a one off. The one to one session was another £41. But from tomorrow I join a group of 6 and that brings the cost right down to £8.50 - very reasonable. Off to bed now. Absolutely knackered. xx Carol
 
That is fantastic news. Water therapy is the best.
 
Mutley@turtle68 My second visit to the hydrotheraphy pool. Not so good as the one to one session, but still worthwhile and I will get the hang of working on my own soon enough. Everything OK your end? Carol
 
robynhood Hi I noticed reading through some of the messages that you have an op on your other knee pending. I will more than likely have to have that too. I find it a daunting prospect as I am still finding everything very tough. Is there anything you will do differently 2nd time around.Pat99
 
Pat patient 99 although your question wasn't directed to me, thought I would jump in anyway. Although the thought of the second TKR is daunting, if you need to have it done, then do it. I had mine done 4 months apart and do not regret it (most of the time). Take the time you need to heal from the first one though. With my second one, my leg was much stronger because I did as many exercises as I could. Also on my second one, I didn't hesitate to ask for pain meds, followed the bonesmart mantra and NEVER let PT hurt. I am 23 days out from my second one.
Morgaine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom