TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dogwheels :heehee: Talking finances to Carol:heehee: :shocked: To quote @Legin "sheesh kebabs" you too are just too funny.

I hope that you are not suffering too badly with your knees, aches and pains

Thanks for making me laugh again x

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi Ann, I've been keeping up with your thread - does it mean you might need a TKR on your left knee?x

Hi Carol @patient99

I was told at my last visit to the OS that the X-rays from February (the other hospital said were ok and if no more deterioration they'd save the knee!) showed my knee had tricompartmental arthritis, no synovial fluid, arthritis behind the patella and no cartilage. He asked my husband and me to look at the X-rays, they meant nothing to either of us. He explained that there was nothing to save and could not understand why the other hospital said they would if there was no further deterioration. He explained the X-ray to us. I burst into tears because I didn't want to go through all of this again. Anyway he wants to X-ray both knees at the end of this month. He warned me that as I would have been using this knee so much he doesn't think an arthroscopy is the answer. So the end of the month if you hear a very strange wailing in the far distance from the midlands. You know it's me x

Love Ann
 
Best luck Anne. I know what your going through...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartFourm
❤️bfmasmommy
 
Yeah, if the knee is that far gone arthroscopy won't help. My OS said the same thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ladies, I've been slow to reply because I'm not around much now. Although I do make a point of checking up on you and other `old timers' so that I know how you are all doing.

A quick update on my knee. I'm now over the 2yr mark. On the plus side I can do most things and I don't need painkillers. Sadly the vice-like grip/tourniquet feeling that sits around my knee has not improved. Fortunately I get relief from it when I am off my feet - so I am thankful for that.

Ann, from your posts it looks like you are heading for a second TKR. The same is true for me, but given my experience first time round I will wait until it gets painful - at present it just creeks a lot and doesn't like stairs.

Sue, I see you are still relying on your compression sleeve. When I last saw an OS I told him I wore a compression sleeve, but I didn't know why it worked. He said neither did he! I've given up looking for answers. The vice-like grip is uncomfortable and exhausting, but so long as things don't get worse I try not to think about knees. The truth is I feel some resentment. I was told over and over again that I would `get there'. I didn't and it doesn't sit easy with me. So rather than spread my bile around I now keep quiet -
well most of the time:heehee:

Thanks for thinking of me. Take care. xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Carol,
Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear you still have the vice like feeling.
Check out RunA42K's thread, she is going to receive a new product that will help her, with scar tissue.
Take care,
 
Check out RunA42K's thread, she is going to receive a new product that will help her, with scar tissue.
Take care,


Hi Chris, I've already done it. I am particularly interested in Bonnie's problems because I think mine are similar. What else can the tourniquet feeling around my knee be if not excessive scar tissue.
 
Hi @patient99 yes I'm on the list for a second TKR. Its dreadful 99% of the time. Today I had a relatively pain free day until this afternoon when it came on and stayed. Stupid here had missed her pain meds x now I'm paying for it.

Yes, I've had a less than great recovery, I have no choice but to get the other one done. The pain from it is huge. It comes through all my pain relieving drugs to the point I have to take a top up some nights x

I understand why you're not on so much x I think it would pay you to read Bonnie's thread x

Love Ann x x x
 
Helloooo 99 sorry to hear of your discomfort hope its resolved soon. I get same feeling round neck then realise there is a queue.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My Dearest, Sweetest, partner in Crime,
How are you Carol ? I'm sorry to hear your knee isn't any better. Daughter Stalker ( Maria )
Isn't any better either. I have been working 2 jobs ( Wally isn't paying much these days ) I am trying to
Get some little bills payed of in 3 yrs. so Jim can retire. When is your wedding ?
I think of you often ( because I Love You ) I just can't get on line much. Do you know we got 9 ft. Of snow !
Here is a picture of me shoveling & drinking wine.....
[Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
 
I keep meaning to update my own thread. The truth is my knee is exactly the same Carol, tight band, I do have to take painkillers every day, trouble with stairs. I will look at the thread mentioned. Diana I would not be out in that snow :snow dig: even with wine.

Sue x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@new knee in June Hi Diana, good to hear from you. The photo of you knee deep in snow with a glass of wine in your hand made me laugh. Woman, you should be indoors stoking the fire. And what next - Two Jobs!! That must take some doing. Loving me for ever and always is a long time. You gotta look after yourself or I will be all alone Promise me that you will take good care of yourself and not overdo things.

THE wedding will happen April/May time - currently awaiting my decree absolute. Mike and I are both struggling over the marriage vows. I mean what does one say after 20 odd years of co-habitting. (me) I promise not to rant when you leave the loo seat up; (Mike) I promise to remain cool when you move my stuff without telling me. Anyways I'll be sure to send you a couple of photos. I'm going to send some to the taxman too saying `this is all your doing'.

On the matter of my knee (I've forgotten its name!!) I am currently having acupuncture. You can't get it on the national health service. It costs £30 a session and you have to have a minimum of 3 sessions to see if it helps. I've had 2 sessions, and it hasn't helped. Next I will be advised to go outdoors at midnight and dance naked. They will advise a minimum of 4 sessions to see if it helps - at £40 a pop. Do you think the medical profession is having a laugh AT MY EXPENSE??

The thing that has my attention at the moment is how best to spend the rest of our lives. Mike has agreed to sit down with me and give this serious thought. Mike has worked that long he doesn't know how to stop. I reckon at best we have another 20 years. It would be a crying shame were we to waste them. I am taking it deadly seriously. I'll come to the meeting with flipchart and coloured pens. I plan to start by brainstorming - writing down all the options open to us no matter how crazy, then begin to fine tune. As a starter we are going to Spain in May. We have a few villas to look at for long term rental. We haven't got a lot of money to spend, so it may come to nothing - ie, what we can afford is not acceptable and what is acceptable we can't afford. But its a start.

Anyways my lovely friend from far far away I will stop now before you lose the will to live. Drop me a line now and then. I'd be interested to hear what the new job is and what you are up to.

xxx Carol

ps: if you are still on Wally's books you are doing well. I'm not. But he always favoured you. Of course it was the vegetable jokes - he couldn't get enough of them. Insatiable. He used to say `its the way she tells them. It does it for me every time'.
 
The truth is my knee is exactly the same Carol, tight band,

Hi Sue, I had a long chat to the acupuncture nurse the other day. I explained that I had been past around from one specialist to the next, but none had been willing to do what was needed to give an accurate diagnosis. Once again I raised the question of an MRI scan. I said that would show once and for all if my tight band was excessive scar tissue or some other soft tissue problem.

She promised to speak to the pain surgeon on my behalf. I have to phone her next Tuesday to find out what he said. I'll keep you posted. x
 
I have no choice but to get the other one done. The pain from it is huge.

Ann the only positive in all of this is that you know for certain the having TKRs results in less painful than not having them. Small comfort I know when you have struggled so much.
 
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Carol. Sadly, MRIs are not for me any more with my pacemaker. I went to London today wearing my compression hose, it's the best way especially after a recent Rituximab injection. We didn't walk far, it was for a Lymphoma conference. I did wonder whether I was walking with my knee aligned properly so I am making an effort to push my knee out a bit, especially going up stairs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom