TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I don't come to BoneSmart often but it's nice to "see" old friends.

@patient 99 my knee is still troublesome. I was at physio today saying I wished it would settle down. I have exercises to strengthen the muscles, but it's still "spongy" and swells and hurts. I had steroids before my last infusion for cancer and had 2 glorious days of normal knee. I wonder whether you can have steroid injections in knees post op? If I go away I have to take my compression hose that I wear for an odd day here and there, I also use a walking stick some days. It's not how I imagined my TKR would be, but it does improve slightly all the time.

We're off to Paris on Friday.

:santaclap:
 
I don't come to BoneSmart often

Hi Sue, I too don't message much any more. But I do like to get updates on how old friends are doing. So thank you for dropping by. I too am disappointed with my knee. I know you have tended to put your knee problems down to your having to cope with cancer at the same time. A tall order. I have now been referred to a pain specialist. I am waiting for an appointment. Perhaps steroids is something he will offer. I seem to recall that they can have nasty side effects and that you can put on weight. Will need to do my homework.

Off to Paris - very nice. I never heard how you got on on your holiday to Budapest??? Once messaging becomes an on/off affair, its hard to keep up. Have you heard that Josephine is having a TKR early January. You wont be surprised to hear she is very well prepared.

Everybody else who we used to talk to regularly has gone - a few like Diana (new knee in June) drop by. Chris is still around (Pumpkln). She is having problems with her revision. In fact the only person who seemed to have a good outcome was Diana. Perhaps I should have a sweatshirt with the slogan `I gave it time and I didn't get there' . You get what you get. No point whining.

You have been coping with your cancer quite a long time now. I hope you have made the mental adjustments to make things a little easier. Very best wishes. Carol
 
Sorry it's been a while since I checked in. Sounds like you have some hope for that tight band feeling. I hope the pain docs prescribe something that works well. I have used voltaren gel (anti-inflammatory, which is supposed to be a bit easier on the stomach that taking a pill) and for a short time I had a good compounded cream that worked great. Luckily I haven't needed that for quite a while.
 
Sorry it's been a while since I checked in

No problem Kneeper. Quite honestly it amazes me that you, Pumpkln and your other colleagues continue to give your time to support us Bonesmarties. Its never ending. What do you get out of it?
 
What do you get out of it?
Speaking for myself, I have stayed because I have had continuous knee pain from my primary TKR in 2011, and only now is my knee beginning to heal from the revision. As a PT who has worked in a helping profession, staying on Bonesmart allows me to continue helping, which I find rewarding.
 
I too am disappointed with my knee.

So sorry to hear that @patient 99 :sad:

All of us go in expecting the best so it is disappointing when a few have less than favorable results. I can only say never stop looking to get better.

I had the tight band feeling for many months but my wonderful PT helped immensely and with that and time it has gone away.

I hope that the pain specialist is able to help with a solution. Do keep us informed; we do care!
 
Hi--the fibro and the tkr are not related. The tkrs are from the JRA damage. There is a theory that people with RA are more likely to also have fibromyalgia, though.
I enjoy the people I meet here and like to pay the help I got here back to others, so I stick around.
 
I'm in Paris and just thought I'd check in on my phone. My knee is quite swollen tonight. It's strange Carol isn't it; I just keep wondering why it won't settle, my ROM is good. My cancer really is, touch wood, stable; pacemaker OKish, going upstairs I have to keep stopping to rest but the knee is the worst of the 3. I'll have another word with the physio I was just saying to DH the only other alternative is to rest it more but I'm trying to build up quads gently, 10 x 2 exercises twice a day.
I'll have a look at BS more closely when I get home. I agree, the advisers do a wonderful job.
Have you had a referral to the pain clinic yet?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@patient 99
I thought I would touch base with you before work :friends:I hope you are doing well, I seem
To find myself getting farther away from Bonesmart. It's a good thing, getting back to
Every day life. I will still check in on you, let us know what the pain clinic has to say.
All my Love, forever & Always :friends:
Diana :loveshwr: :loveshwr:
 
Hi Diana, Sue and ladies thanks for passing by and saying hello. I'm doing fine and hope you all are too. Went out to lunch yesterday. I had 2 glasses of champagne and when I got home I fell asleep (it was 5.30). You can guess what followed. I was wide awake most of the night. I am now on Maine time. I can't seem to get it into my head that I can't do what I used to.

Oh BTW I am getting married in April. I am in the process of getting a divorce so that the April marriage is legal. I contacted a few solicitors re the divorce, but what they charge is quite ridiculous, so I am doing it myself. So far it is proving remarkably easy. You might be thinking why is she getting married at her age. The fact is that as I get older I am starting to worry about things like inheritance tax. Cohabitees in the UK have pretty well no rights in law. M could take ill and the hospital could so that I cannot make decisions on his behalf because I am not family. So marriage it is. M is willing so long as he doesn't have to buy a new suit. I've agreed to that :heehee:

Sue, I Hope you had a lovely time in Paris - I always thought you were a star. Its going to take more than the big C to hold you back. Diana, what can I say. You have the biggest, bestest christmas ever and don't even think about weight until at least the 6th of Jan. Dorothy, I know you are seldom around, but I hope you get this message so that I can wish you a merry christmas too. Chris, you have been my rock, thanks for helping me. Happy christmas Nana Moon, Celle and all. xxx
 
@patient 99

Carol, I'm delighted to hear about your upcoming marriage next April! I hope everything goes swimmingly.

Happy Christmas!
:merry christmas: :treestar:
 
Carol, so glad you popped up. I haven't been getting alerts but got this one. Great news about your impending marriage, I know it can be quite a hassle in the U.S. as well when it comes to legal issues. I think of you all often and wish you a :merry christmas: :santa sleigh:
Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy

P.S. Let's get caught up next year. We are doing a tour of England, Scotland, and Ireland in September so will fill you in when I get more detailed itinerary.
 
Carol,
Have a Merry Christmas, and wishing you a Happy New Year!
Hoping 2015 is better to your knee and the tight band feeling goes away.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom